Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Climbing a mountain

Yesterday I had this great idea to climb Mt. Ascutney in VT. It was a beautiful, 75 degree day so why not enjoy the outdoors in a healthy way, right? There is something to be said for those who mountain climb on a regular basis, I applaud those who do. 3 miles up and 3 miles down doesn't seem hard when talking about it but actually doing it....it was painful and slow! At first, I started to get down on myself. I have been working out faithfully 4 days a week and I started to get winded within the first mile up. I thought this was awful, how can I still be so out of shape?! I struggled all the way to the top and then took in the scenery and realized that I did it! Once I reached base, I felt the same sense of accomplishment that I felt at the summit. Perhaps this is how I should look at weightloss, a climb up and down, whatever comes in the middle may be hard but the end result is worth it. I am sore as hell today and it took me 5 hours total to complete it...I am proud of me and that is what is important.

Replies

• cdee69
    cdee69 Posts: 2
    I also climbed a mountain, or as we Scots call it, a Munro (over 3000ft) with exactly the same idea in mind as yourself Christiane! I thought there could be no better way to achieve an amazing workout while enjoying some gorgeous sunshine :0) !! This was on Friday & yes, I'm still sore today!! It was 4 miles from base to summit and the final mile was sooooooooooo hard but the sense of achievement once you reach the top is something words can't describe!! I couldn't agree more.............the feeling of achieving your target weight loss goal can only surpass such a feeling!! And what a feeling......!!!!!! Well done you!!
  • ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    I hiked up Mt. Major in Alton, NH on Saturday! It overlooks Lake Winnipisaukee. It was so beautiful! I know how you feel about getting down on yourself halfway through... I kind of went through the same thing, but it was truly worth it at the top! I love the comparison to the weight loss journey! Very well said! So you must live in New England? Where abouts?
  • I live on the VT/NH border. How did you guys track your exercise? I tried but when I typed in hiking it kept telling me that I would burn 1400 calories, I am not sure how accurate that was.
  • ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    I tracked it with hiking, I would assume it is pretty close to correct... Seems to me like it would be. I only tracked going up though.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!