Using fitbit and myfitnesspal

Options
Hey guys,

I am hoping to get some direction on how to use myfitnesspal with my fitbit. I have them all linked and such, but what I am unsure of is when I do activity (i.e. 30 mins walking on treadmill) do I just let the fitbit count my steps and be done with it, or should i track that activity in myfitnesspal as well? What if I am doing other activities, such as zumba?

Thanks! Jessa

Replies

• Jessalynn54
    Jessalynn54 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sorry no input just wanted to say I like your name ;)
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I generally let fitbit track everything, and logged exercise on fitbit's site. What I found happens is if you log exercise on myfitnesspal, calories would get counted on MFP, then again in the fitbit calorie adjustment. In other words, calories burned would get double-counted
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    same here... I let my fitbit adjust my calories on mfp and dont log my activity on mfp so it doesnt double count. If I want to keep track of what exercises I do.. I use the Note section or add it to my fitbit side.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit as a stand alone tool and do not link it to MFP. I log my exercise on MFP and use the fitbit for traking of daily steps and a few other items.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I normally will track my exercise separately especially if I'm lifting since the fitbit is not going to accurately relate the effort your putting in while lifting.

What I have noticed, if I come back from the gym and log into MFP, it will show my exercise calories burned, lets call it 400 cals. Once I log the exercise for lifting and walk/jogging, the fitbit calculation will adjust and normally go back to zero.

However, throughout the day, assuming I work out in the morning, fitbit will continue to calculate my movements and add additional calories burned for the remainder of the day, because I've already reached my goal by the end of my workout, so everything else is an addition.

Using the above example, I zeroed out the fitbit calories by logging my exercise, I went to work/shopping/etc... the remainder of the day, I would show in my exercise log, 200 cal for weightlifting, 200 cal for walking (manually entered) and possibly 100 cal for additional activity for the day. This is because I set my status to sedentary since I work at a desk job. This scenario happens much more on weekends, then during the week.

I don't know if that helps, but it took me a while to figure it out and this is what works for me.
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I track on MFP. I manually add my exercice calories. Usually what happens is that FitBit gives me a few hundred more cals for the day, and when I add the exercise calories, it substracts calories from the FB estimate and it comes to the same amount of calories anyways. Not sure if it makes sense, lol, but it seems to work for me.

Ex: FitBit gives me 260 calories for the day from my daily activity, before my MFP exercise. When I add my MFP exercise (let's say it's 200 calories) then I have a remaining 60 calories listed by FitBit, for my normal daily activity. But I set everything to sedentary and just add whatever I do that day... It may be different if you're not set as sedentary.
  • The_Sandra
    The_Sandra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Walking on a treadmill, I would just let fitbit count that as steps. Anything else, log it under exercise on the fitbit app.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have linked the two and they talk to each other. It's magic. I think I found settings on the MFP side to NOT record the calories burned, just the exercise. But it's all magic. My menopause brain has forgotten how I did it.

I don't take my Fitbit Zip in to the pool.

I tap my Fitbit when I am in a wifi zone once a day. I have noticed if I DON'T sync for a few days sometimes I lose the previous days' counts.
  • JourneyToWonderWoman
    Options
    I have my FitBit linked to my MFP, and I haven't had problems with double counting. The calories for my steps are adjusted once I put in my work out.
  • JessaLefebvre
    JessaLefebvre Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I added my zumba workout into the fitbit app last night and it seemed to figure everything out really well. I think if I am going to just be walking/running I will let the step count be enough, but if I am doing other things (i.e. zumba, weight lifting) than I will track it in the fitbit app.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    For step based activites (running, walking, etc.), let the FitBit figure it out.

For non-step based activites (swimming, weights, biking, etc.), log it in FitBit and let it sync it to MFP for you. (I've found the FitBit calories burned to be a bit more accurate than the MFP ones.)
  • gdrodge70
    gdrodge70 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you enter excercises in MFP and have either a Jawbone or a Fitbit, there is no double-counting...this is a myth that keeps getting repeated, and it's wrong. I enter my excercise into MFP and there is no double-counting with a Jawbone. Here's why.

Say you eat 2,000 calories in a day (nice round number).

And you log 500 calories of exercise in MFP (whatever kind you want, doesn't matter).

Then in my MFP, if you are set up for weight-maintenance, you are expected to burn 2,100 calories per day. (That's 1,600 sitting on your *kitten*, and 500 say doing 10,000 steps).

So MFP would log (at the end of the day):

2,100 (goal) - 2,000 (food) + 500 (exercise) + Jawbone/fitbit adj. = 600.

And you're above 0, so you're good for the day.

But the reason why there is no double-counting is based on how the jawbone/fit adj. works.

Assume everything else the same above.

And you walk all day, and burn 1,000 calories walking (no idea if this is realistic).

MFP says "He or she will burn 2,600 calories today (2,100 goal + 500 exercise that you entered)"

But Jawbone/fit says "His resting burn is 1,600 calories plus I'm logging 1,000 for the steps he or she took". Total is 2,600. But you also enter 500 calories of exercise into Jawbone/fitbit as well. Now total is 3,100 burned.

3,100 (calories burned) - 2,000 (food) = 1,200

But then the majic happens.

MFP and Fitbit/Jawbone talk and MFP gives you a Jawbone/fitbit adj. of 600

So,

2,100 (goal) - 2,000 (food) + 500 (exercise) + 600 (Fitbit Adj). = 1,200.

THE SAME NUMBER - NO DOUBLE COUNTING.

Now, if you did not enter the exercise into MFP, your exercise from Jawbone/fitbit would just show up as a 1,100 adjustment and the result would still be the same.

I hope that clears things up. Go ahead, enter your exercise in both apps.

Glenn
  • gdrodge70
    Options
    jnord8729 wrote: »
    I generally let fitbit track everything, and logged exercise on fitbit's site. What I found happens is if you log exercise on myfitnesspal, calories would get counted on MFP, then again in the fitbit calorie adjustment. In other words, calories burned would get double-counted

Again, not true.
  • gdrodge70
    Options
    same here... I let my fitbit adjust my calories on mfp and dont log my activity on mfp so it doesnt double count. If I want to keep track of what exercises I do.. I use the Note section or add it to my fitbit side.

No double counting. If you don't enter in MFP, just shows up as an "adjustment" instead. But the result is exactly the same.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options