Help finding a fitness tracker that logs non-walking or running excercises?

Options
Howdy everyone - just a quick question this morning in hopes of finding a motivational tool to help me log my progress. I love MFP but want to find an easier way of logging my exercise than typing it in each time.

I have owned a FitBit and Jawbone but they only track steps and I find I get a lot of false steps when I am tapping my foot or even just standing around.

Are there any trackers that are smart enough to log other workouts at the gym - strength, circuit training, etc?

I am looking for something I can wear on my wrist all day. Maybe something that measures calories burned by heart rate rather than steps?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I think Bodybugg is the only one that measures all day activity by more metrics than just your movement. There are fitness trackers that work with a HRM but they're only intended for use during steady state cardio.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The only 'all-in-one' activity tracker I know of is the Bodymedia Fit. It's worn on the upper arm rather than the wrist. http://www.bodymedia.com/?whence=
  • dtopo
    dtopo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great - I will take a look.

Heard there is a brand new FitBit coming out with heart rate monitor built in that is supposedly smart and tracks all exercise but who knows when that will arrive.
  • dtopo
    dtopo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I checked those out - don't like that you have to wear on upper arm. Would prefer something that looks and feels like a watch. Any other ideas?

I will keep searching the web too.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    The Jawbone UP3 is supposed to have the BodyMedia technology (they acquired BodyMedia within the last year). It's wrist-worn but unfortunately doesn't have a display face. I've heard the Basis Peak is supposed to be a fair contender for the UP3 technology-wise and has a watch face, but the Amazon reviews I read last month when it was released weren't too promising. Might be worth checking out again, though...
  • HeatherRM14
    HeatherRM14 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You could check out the Polar Fit Loop...works like a fitbit and tracks steps & stuff but you can pair it with a Polar Heart Rate Monitor chest strap for when you're doing any kind of "workout"
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    UP3 is the closest thing to the BodyMedia/BodyBug which are no longer available. It will ship 12/22 for pre-orders. If you specifically want a watch form factor, the Basis is out but gets poor reviews. It might be worth waiting for the Fitbit Surge out early next year. If my Up3 doesn't live up to expectations, I'll be waiting for the Surge also.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    UP3 is the closest thing to the BodyMedia/BodyBug which are no longer available. It will ship 12/22 for pre-orders. If you specifically want a watch form factor, the Basis is out but gets poor reviews. It might be worth waiting for the Fitbit Surge out early next year. If my Up3 doesn't live up to expectations, I'll be waiting for the Surge also.

There's also the microsoft tracker, but I'm not sure how people are liking it; it's pretty new.