Question about anorexic diet

Options
I was having a discussion with a friend about diet and question was, why do anorexic ppl who eat very little and exercise a lot lose weight but for non anorexic ppl we are told we wont lose weight if we don't eat enough to fuel our workout and our bodies will go into starvation mode and hang on to fat but anorexics dont?

How does that work? I'm not condoning anorexia or any eating disorder but just want to understand science behind it...

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »
    I was having a discussion with a friend about diet and question was, why do anorexic ppl who eat very little and exercise a lot lose weight but for non anorexic ppl we are told we wont lose weight if we don't eat enough to fuel our workout and our bodies will go into starvation mode and hang on to fat but anorexics dont?

How does that work? I'm not condoning anorexia or any eating disorder but just want to understand science behind it...

You will lose weight eating extremely low calories. You will lose weight if you eat nothing at all. Both can be very detrimental to your health, and people suffering from anorexia can have heart problems and other issues because the low calorie diets cause them to lose muscle, including heart tissue.

It's not that it won't work for weight loss, but it can lead to a lot of other medical issues. This is one reason VLCD are done under the supervision of a doctor.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    so the explanation that our bodies go into starvation and u end up not losing at all is just a myth to prevent ppl from using extreme diets for weight loss resulting in muscle loss but not that u actually wont lose weight its just unhealthy...
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    most of where we (people with eating disorders) lose weight is in muscle and, eventually, vital organ meat. that's the part that kills us or at least gives us a lifetime of health problems once we get our *kitten* together. so yeah.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    we are told we wont lose weight if we don't eat enough to fuel our workout and our bodies will go into starvation mode and hang on to fat but anorexics dont?

Because what you are told is nonsense. There are bad things that happen if you eat too little, but not your body holding onto weight. That makes no sense.

One important reason you don't want to drop calories too low, however--in addition to simple health concerns--is that it can lead to increased loss of muscle mass and increased metabolic adaptation which means that when you stop dieting your maintenance will be lower, which can make regain easier and faster. Another reason is that lots of people have trouble sustaining very low calories and will tend to fall into a starve/binge or at least starve/overeat pattern. They don't necessarily realize it, but they end up wiping out their deficit plus during the binging or overeating periods, especially if they had some metabolic adaptation.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    so the explanation that our bodies go into starvation and u end up not losing at all is just a myth to prevent ppl from using extreme diets for weight loss resulting in muscle loss but not that u actually wont lose weight its just unhealthy...
    Starvation mode is a bastardization of the idea of adaptive thermogenesis. Essentially, take someone weighs 120lbs and is the same size and works out the same as another person who weighs 120lbs, but that person was 200lbs for most of their life and dieted down to 120lbs. The one who was 120 their entire adult life will burn more calories than someone who has dieted down to that weight; your body adapts to having to a calorie deficit. However, the difference isn't huge, and it more contributes to things like "I'm told x is my maintenance but I'm gaining weight at that" or "the calculators say I should be eating x to lose but I'm not". (Although those examples are more likely to be caused by inaccurate logging.)

Basically, everyone likes to throw around starvation mode, but it doesn't exist in that sense. Most people just aren't educated on the subject. However, just because eating very little will lead to weight loss does not make it a good idea, and generally is not considered safe.
  • j_arens
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds in a very short period of time by eating 500-800 calories a day or what some people would consider "starvation"/too low calories. My body did not rebel. However, what did eventually happen once I entered maintanence is that I entered a terrible starvation/binge cyclefrom all the deprivation in which I'd binge one day and then eat almost nothing the next, etc. Anyways, I think there is a lot of research to show that this whole thing about starvation and not losing weight is a myth.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, your body will adjust to an insufficient amount of calories to a certain point and learn to process what little it's getting as efficiently as possible by storing fat (this isn't "starvation mode" though, that is a myth). That's why people are encouraged to lose weight by creating a moderate, sustainable deficit.

But anyone will lose weight after starving themselves for long periods of time because your body just starts to deteriorate overall, breaking down muscle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

By and large, this is correct. That said, VLCD also put a lot of stress on the body and raise cortisol levels...this can interfere with your metabolism...and while you're still going to ultimately lose weight, it can actually make things more difficult and certainly more unpleasant.

You also will experience adaptive thermogenesis...basically a slowing of your metabolism as your body makes efforts to become more efficient to compensate for the drastic deficit of energy...it does this by shutting down "non-essential" functions like growing hair and nails, having a regular period, etc.

And, as you've pointed out...loss of muscle tissue, including vital organ tissue is ultimately a problem.

Starvation mode though...as it is often presented on these forums, is a myth.
  • cherriegh
    Options
    thanks all for your replies....my friend has lost a lot of weight coz she was stressed and not eating enough so thats where it all started and i couldn't actually explain the "starvation" mode and when it will kick in for her...
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    if you are comparing a 'diet' to anorexia... you either don't understand proper nutrition, or need help. Reading a few healthy diet books will give you a good sense of what you SHOULD be doing, then look over your own habits, and make those adjustments.
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think this is a very good question for many people to ask themselves before assuming (or telling anyone else, for that matter) that they are in "starvation mode", and asking it demonstrates an ability to think logically.

People who are touting the "starvation mode" myth don't seem to think about this particular fact: An anorexic person is a human just like us, why isn't this so-called starvation mode keeping THEM fat? So kudos to you for thinking it out and asking questions!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    In simple terms, the body reduces it's metabolic rate based on extreme the deficit is. The less the intake, the lower the metabolism will be.
    Physiology doesn't change much from person to person. Regardless if a person is eating a lot less because they intend to or not (say from illness), weight loss will happen. Extreme calorie deficits on people who don't have much to lose will usually result in a perception of "slow" weight loss or the "starvation mode" tagging.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    Options

The part in bold is false. It's not true and completely incorrect.

• cherriegh
    Options
    Phildog47 wrote: »
    if you are comparing a 'diet' to anorexia... you either don't understand proper nutrition, or need help. Reading a few healthy diet books will give you a good sense of what you SHOULD be doing, then look over your own habits, and make those adjustments.

I am not comparing any diet to anorexia....your missing the point and question asked and throwing irrelevant answers. its not about ME or my habits, its a question about starvation mode and why it "doesn't" kick in if your anorexic but continue to lose weight until one is skin and bones while ppl who exercise and eat balanced diet stall after a while because of "starvation mode" sometimes...

• heybebe88
    heybebe88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between eating at a mild deficit to slowly lose weight over time, and eating at an extreme deficit that is not sufficient to support healthy organ function.

Though "starvation mode" from moderate calorie deficit and exercise is a myth, poor nutrition may result in muscle wasting (remember, the heart and many organs are muscles) and fat storage
  • fauxfox66
    fauxfox66 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The 'anorexic diet' gets super fast results, and you might think it's fine if you don't care about the other health dangers, HOWEVER the big deterrent for this aside from all the other health stuff is that once you start having super low calories, your metabolism just about dies. This means that if you ever start eating normally again, your body will take all that food and store practically everything. You'll never be able to eat normal amounts again without your body grabbing every bit and keeping it. Putting on weight will happen super easily because of it.

I have a friend who was anorexic for two years. She was super thin and everyone complimented her all the time, but when she finally couldn't take the hunger anymore and decided to eat like the rest of the world, she gained a massive amount of weight. It's been six years since she stopped being anorexic and she can't maintain a normal weight. A single cookie or a few slices of bread or a doughnut will go straight to her hips. Cheat days actually will 'ruin everything'. Her metabolism is shot so she has to watch everything she eats carefully because she trained her body to operate on such a tiny caloric intake.

Moral of the story: if you want to do the anorexic diet, then be prepared to never eat a doughnut again for your entire life. You'll get results fast, but one slip up and you'll get weight fast as well.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I witnessed a horrible sight at our garage sale last summer. A couple came at the end of the sale to pick up some basic items to furnish (their assumed bare) apartment. He was a sleaze and she had a shocking appearance, skin and bone, a little pot belly, and rotten teeth. She spent most of the time watching the pretty butterflies, her hips rocking back and forth.

After they left my granddaughter suggested she was pregnant. No, I hissed, she's malnourished. She has no muscles left. The poor woman, I had no idea how much time she had left for this earth.

So yes, eat like an anorexic and you will lose.

I don't think this woman was an anorexic. I think she was an end-stage crack addict.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Oh, a question for your "friend" huh? Sure. Well, anorexia isn't a diet. It's a MENTAL DISORDER. :(
  • cherriegh
    Options
    thank you all for your replies, really appreciate :smile:
  • cherriegh
    Options
    Rays_Wife wrote: »
    Oh, a question for your "friend" huh? Sure. Well, anorexia isn't a diet. It's a MENTAL DISORDER. :(

maybe re-read the post before commenting, i never said it was a question for a friend... "diet" means a way of eating... look up definition