What happened here?

Options
I have been a gym regular for nearly 3 months now, following a lifting plan - about 3-4 days a week lifting with a day of HIIT and Abs exercises. Before I started lifting I used to do Cardio - Body Pump/Boxing classes etc. and had enjoyed it but switch to lifting as I thought that is the right thing to do for my goal of build some muscle and definition.

But last 10 days I could not go to Gym due to cold and couple of days of recovery. I did chest and arm on my first day back, on the second day I thought I'll try Body Pump as a easier option than working on legs (lifting) - now it was supposed to be easier, but I had very hard time getting through - the legs were shaking by the end - which wasn't the case when I did it in the past. I went in as I thought it will be easier (I do about 60kg on squat for lifting - vs 25kg on Body Pump - yet found the high reps painful and totally did my legs).

Is this because of the two weeks break or is it to do with lifting to cardio switch? I am wondering if I keep doing body pump at least a day a week to keep my stamina which seem to have taken a hit with all the lifting.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Probably both, though I'd guess having been sick was a bigger factor than the change in programming, especially if you're been good about the HIIT.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You were working different muscle fibers. Typically when you lift in the gym you are working on strength and power. BodyPump focuses on endurance which works your muscles differently and engages different fibers too. The two week break could also have contributed to it.

As far as should you do BodyPump once a week, it depends on what your goals are and what you're training for. if you're looking to build mass then I would not suggest adding in BodyPump, but if you're looking for overall fitness and a good calorie burn it may not hurt you to add that in as well.
  • Nirajn123
    Nirajn123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I wasn't sick as such - i.e. no fever just simple cold and congestion but there is no way I could have gone to gym with respiratory issues.

I do not want to stop my current regime (at least not until I reach my initial goal) but spirit is bit dented to see that I found this so difficult - I'll give it a try again some day just to see if that reoccur.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You will be surprised how much even a light cold can take out of you.