Pictures don't lie?

Options
Hi all!
So I I started out at 165, joined MFP at 160, and am now down to 155.... last night I decided to take 'before' photos in panties/bra and honestly feel like it was a mistake to look at them.

Even though I thought I was starting to look better, seeing the pictures was horrifying for me as I think I look *way* bigger than I realized... even though this should be motivation, I am actually finding this really depressing.

Do other people find that they look about 20lbs less in the mirror than in their photos... I can't tell if my brain lies to me in the mirror or the camera is lying because it is flat and not 3D....

Thoughts?

Replies

• feetmayfail
    Options
    Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain. I've taken a "before" picture before and realize that it was off from how I imagined myself. I think clothes can be flattering and that's a good thing! Try to not be too hard on yourself. You are headed in the right direction! I'm pretty similar to you as far as stats. Started at 178... currently at 159. Headed down to 140! :) Good luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yep yep yep. A lot of times I look in the mirror, think I look good, so I attempt a progress picture, decide I look terrible, and then delete it.
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yep yep yep. A lot of times I look in the mirror, think I look good, so I attempt a progress picture, decide I look terrible....

^^This^^ But I don't delete progress pic's. I face the fact that that's what I look like, suck it up, and continue to dedicate myself to change it...

• Ni_kki
    Ni_kki Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Pictures suck- the mirror sucks, when I catch my reflection walking past a window sucks.. but being fat sucks more, so I just continue to use that as motivation. Keep those pictures- you will want them to compare to- it's rewarding to see progress!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    That will happen, and there is a scientific reason for it.

When you look in the mirror, as we all tend to do multiple times a day, you're seeing your reflection - the way you are, but a mirror image. However, when you see a photo, you're seeing yourself the right way around - how others see us.

We are not symetrical, and while the differences are minor, think of all the minute differences you can pick looking at yourself day to day - "my eyes are a little puffy" "I think I have a zit coming up" "that scar wasn't there last week" - we're so accutely aware of our bodies that tiny differences seem huge.

So when we see a photo of ourselves that is the 'wrong way around' - with all those tiny differences that make us non-symentrical on the 'wrong' side - our minds freak out a little bit and the "wrongness" often translates as a hyper-critical assessment - it's like seeing your identical twin for the first time, or a whacky alternate reality version of yourself.

It CAN be a more accuurate objective look at yourself, but it can also be a knee-jerk reaction where you immediately pick the 'wrong' picture apart. It actually depends a lot of your self esteem, even on the day to day changes in your confidence.

Interesting experiment - take the photo of yourself and mirror image it (in photoshop or whatever, I think some online sites can do it for you) and see if you feel the same way - even put it side by side with the original and see which one you're more comfortable with.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Looking at myself in the mirror and then looking at my before picture motivates me and makes me feel good but I find that progress pictures is demotivating. By progress pictures, I'm talking about pictures from the beginning of the summer or fall vs now. I get comments in real life but when I compare mid-way pictures, I don't see any difference.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Storble wrote: »
    Do other people find that they look about 20lbs less in the mirror than in their photos... I can't tell if my brain lies to me in the mirror or the camera is lying because it is flat and not 3D....

So much depends on body frame and such. I know I was loosing weight and I didn't really see any difference until around 20 pounds. More so, I finally started looking better form lifting and I drop absolutely no more weight.

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    It's because the camera really does add weight, due to a change in perspective.

http://petapixel.com/2012/07/17/why-the-camera-adds-10-pounds-seeing-ourselves-in-pictures/
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the day. Someday I can look in the mirror and think I'm looking pretty good. Other time I look in the mirror and wonder if my body will EVER change! Usually with progress photos I can't see any change in unless there is a comparison aspect… either it's right beside my before photo or I'm doing the classic holding out the waistband of an old pair of pants. And even then it depends on the day. Somedays the change looks huge. Other times it looks so minimal that I wonder if there has really been any change at all or if it's just my own wishful thinking.

I hope someday my brain catches up and starts to see what's really there instead of what it's used to seeing be there.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    No, I think I look pudgy in the mirror but different in photos. I usually have to place my photos side by side with before and current to see the real differences. I happened to be shopping one day and the lady tried on a jacket that I had tried and was too big for me. I though she was way smaller than me from looking at her - it just goes to show how skewed our thinking can be. Sometimes we have to figure out other points to focus on, of course do this with caution - that's is how I got hung up on the numbers on the scale :)
  • eat_hike_b33r
    eat_hike_b33r Posts: 82 Member
    Options

http://petapixel.com/2012/07/17/why-the-camera-adds-10-pounds-seeing-ourselves-in-pictures/

So it IS the camera... but if that is how others see me I'm still a little bummed. I think I will keep the photos locked away somewhere and maybe not look at those again until I have reached my goal...
    I think in the end it will be nice to compare to but for now it is just making me feel bad.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

So it IS the camera... but if that is how others see me I'm still a little bummed. I think I will keep the photos locked away somewhere and maybe not look at those again until I have reached my goal...
    I think in the end it will be nice to compare to but for now it is just making me feel bad.

Keep in mind that others don't see you the way you do anyway.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    pictures vS mirror >>>& mirror wins! :#
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options

When you look in the mirror, as we all tend to do multiple times a day, you're seeing your reflection - the way you are, but a mirror image. However, when you see a photo, you're seeing yourself the right way around - how others see us.

We are not symetrical, and while the differences are minor, think of all the minute differences you can pick looking at yourself day to day - "my eyes are a little puffy" "I think I have a zit coming up" "that scar wasn't there last week" - we're so accutely aware of our bodies that tiny differences seem huge.

So when we see a photo of ourselves that is the 'wrong way around' - with all those tiny differences that make us non-symentrical on the 'wrong' side - our minds freak out a little bit and the "wrongness" often translates as a hyper-critical assessment - it's like seeing your identical twin for the first time, or a whacky alternate reality version of yourself.

It CAN be a more accuurate objective look at yourself, but it can also be a knee-jerk reaction where you immediately pick the 'wrong' picture apart. It actually depends a lot of your self esteem, even on the day to day changes in your confidence.

Interesting experiment - take the photo of yourself and mirror image it (in photoshop or whatever, I think some online sites can do it for you) and see if you feel the same way - even put it side by side with the original and see which one you're more comfortable with.

This is fascinating!
  • TheTiagooo
    TheTiagooo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Lighting and camera resolution play a part, too.
  • grlgemini
    Options
    OMG - OP this is exactly how I feel. I am 5'6" and currently weight 165 lbs. I need to lose at least 20 lbs. I have never been heavy until the last 3 years (quit smoking). Anyway, I look at pictures and I look so fat. Then I look in the mirror and I don't think I look anything like my pictures. It is so weird. Someone sent me a pic today and I was like - WHOA. Glad to hear other people's responses.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Very interesting! I remember reading in a psychology class once about an experiment where they took photos of women in relationships, and flipped them. Their significant others always preferred the normal photo, but the women themselves almost always chose the flipped image --what they would see in the mirror.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    So I I started out at 165, joined MFP at 160, and am now down to 155.... last night I decided to take 'before' photos in panties/bra and honestly feel like it was a mistake to look at them.

Even though I thought I was starting to look better, seeing the pictures was horrifying for me as I think I look *way* bigger than I realized... even though this should be motivation, I am actually finding this really depressing.

Thoughts?

Oh. I look better in pics than what I see in the mirror. For me, taking pics is a reality check that I'm NOT that bad. Of course, I had an ED long ago.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I think I look MUCH better in the mirror than in pictures. When I see myself in pics, I'm always disappointed because I feel I look so much differently than in the mirror.