when to stop eating?

Options
I've always been told to not eat after 7 pm. I wanted your thoughts on this? How late should you eat?

Replies

• Plumpqt
    Plumpqt Posts: 156
    Options
    I stop eating after 6-7 myself so far so good, you do notice results when you do this
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    I don't restrict myself to any sort of "cut-off" time for eating. I eat when I'm hungry & save more calories for the later part of the day, as I seem to be hungrier later in the day. Sometimes I actually have a small snack in the middle of the night if I wake up & am hungry. It works for me!:happy:
  • gwatso25
    gwatso25 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've always been told 6, I try to stick to this except for special occasions when you have no option but to eat after this time.
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. I don't go to bed until 11:00 & I eat every couple of hours. I usually don't eat past 8pm.
  • emoritz2
    emoritz2 Posts: 27
    Options
    I've heard a good rule of thumb is to stop eating 2 hours before you go to sleep. I usually go to bed at 11:30 pm, so I try and have my last snack by 9:30 pm. I find that if I do give-in to a late-night craving (even if it's a small snack), say at 10:30/11:00 pm, I wake up the next day more hungry than usual.
    Good luck!
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have always heard 7 as well and try to stick with that time. But sometimes (like weekends) you just can't stick to it. It just really depends on the day. I try not to eat 2-3 hours before I go to bed because I'm a tummy sleeper and a belly full of food and laying on my tummy makes me feel sick.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it matters one bit to your weight loss how late at night you eat. You may have wierd dreams and you may have indigestion, depending on what you ate, but it's not going to significantly impact your weight loss one way or the other. I have a snack just about every night -usually baby carrots with hummus or a serving of nuts- and it hasn't slowed me down at all.
  • llovegrove
    llovegrove Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have heard so many different answers on this. I think it depends on the person honestly. If I am hungry I eat, I just try to keep it light in the evenings if I need a snack. I stay up so late every night so if I cut myself off early I always end up wakign up in the middle of the night getting something because I am starving.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I totally agree wtih Atlantique!
    If there was any fact behind that rule, I would never have lost the 60 pounds that I've shed so far because DH and I have dinner at 7pm almost every night. I don't usually eat after that but occassionally if I'm hungry I'll have something 100 calories or less (snack bar, popcorn)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter at all as long as you don't go over your calorie budget. Basically your body does not care when you eat. You can have one huge meal a day or many small meals. You can eat all your calories in the second half of the day or whatever you want. How many calories you eat is far more important than when you eat them. The only negative effect I could see from eating late at night is that the food will still be in your digestive track so if you weigh yourself the next morning you will be weighing that digested food since it has not yet passed out of your body. As for fat gain or loss, every study I have read says it makes no difference.