bad day..

Options
I'm an emotional eater and I ate half a carton of ice cream ice cream and a whole frozen pizza. I haven't ate well in almost two weeks. I had a goal of loosing six pounds by my birthday which is in exactly two weeks... Needless to say I haven't lost anything.. But only gained a pound. I haven't even set foot in the gym! I'm afraid I'm falling off the horse... Ugh. I don't know why I self destruct like this.

Replies

• arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Try to set small goals at first - for example, eat a healthy lunch 5 days a week, then build on that =)
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Soon, you may get an "emotional boost" from fulfilling those goals rather than eating - at least I know I do.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're starting with unrealistic goals which makes it harder to stick with. Take a step back and reevaluate what your goals are. If your looking to lose 6 pounds overall you need to set your goal as no more than 1/2 a pound a week. This will give you the most calories possible which being less restrictive will give you less need to fall off the wagon. As for emotional eating, I don't have personal experience with that (I'm the opposite the more stressed I get the more upset my stomach and the harder it is to eat). Can you find something else that gives you the same level of comfort as emotional eating? Maybe going for a walk, listening to music, yoga, meditating, etc?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I hope you defrosted the pizza first. It would seem you have got some work to do to break the destructive emotional eating response. Figure out why it happened by sorting the root of the problem then figure out an alternative strategy for when it happens again. It really needs cracking because you are always going to be vulnerable to it. For now its more important than going to the gym.

You could get more MFP friends to help or ask your Dr/dietician for advice.

The foods eaten now, dont beat yourself up, dont worry, just figure out a way to do better and learn from what you feel is a setback. As said above try setting yourself smaller goals you can achieve rather than ones which may not be ideal and very hard to attain.

Be kind forgiving and supportive to yourself.
  • stayfocusedAMANDA
    stayfocusedAMANDA Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have lost overall 21 pounds. I gave myself a month and half to loose the 6 pounds. Because that's the most I have ever lost.. I feel like I am on track for a few weeks then I drop off the "wagon"..
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    don't bring that stuff into the house. Then when you're bored/stressed you'll have to find something else to do.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I have fallen off the wagon plenty of times during my journey but it is YOUR choice if you get back on. Have your bad day, week, month just make sure you let it all out and find something to motivate you back in. I was having a hard time so I decided to do a walking challenge and if I did it I got a cup I wanted. It put me back into routine.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I have lost overall 21 pounds. I gave myself a month and half to loose the 6 pounds. Because that's the most I have ever lost.. I feel like I am on track for a few weeks then I drop off the "wagon"..

It still goes back to the moment you fall off the wagon and why. Can you just not put down the choice you need to make when it happens?

If you cant tackle that tbh just chill out you are nearly 80% of the way, youve done most of the hard work and the worrying/stress is more damaging that the food eaten. You can give yourself a further six weeks to lose it and then focus, leaving the other stuff in the past.

You will still get to target, just focus and do whats been working for you so far.