Question about anorexic diet

Options

Replies

• fauxfox66
    fauxfox66 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Rays_Wife wrote: »
    Oh, a question for your "friend" huh? Sure. Well, anorexia isn't a diet. It's a MENTAL DISORDER. :(

I certainly agree that it's not a diet, it's a real disorder. I just see how it's tempting- I've never done it and I'm glad I haven't, because I watch her struggle with the disorder and try so hard and have such meltdowns. It's a really huge problem. I'm glad I didn't join her- I can have a cheat day without having an anxiety attack and putting on three pounds from it, while she can't. Her doctor actually recommended using a calorie counting app because she has to walk such a thin line- eating barely too much makes her put on an unhealthy amount of weight, but she can't slip into anorexia again. It's literally interfered with every facet of her life.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »
    Oh, a question for your "friend" huh? Sure. Well, anorexia isn't a diet. It's a MENTAL DISORDER. :(

maybe re-read the post before commenting, i never said it was a question for a friend... "diet" means a way of eating... look up definition

You said you were having a conversation with "a friend" about this. Re-read your own post, lol. And I suggest YOU look up the definition of anorexia. Don't try to educate me, honey.
  • Rays_Wife
    Options
    You sure you're 28 years old?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

thank you- that was the first thing I thought when I read the title.
    -
    secondly - why was this flagged?? WTF?
    maybe re-read the post before commenting, i never said it was a question for a friend... "diet" means a way of eating... look up definition
    don't get snarky- you called a certifiable psychological issue a diet.

• Rays_Wife
    edited November 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

thank you- that was the first thing I thought when I read the title.
    -
    secondly - why was this flagged?? WTF?
    don't get snarky- you called a certifiable psychological issue a diet.

I don't care, she can flag my post into eternity. Still doesn't change facts. Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this though...
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    so the explanation that our bodies go into starvation and u end up not losing at all is just a myth to prevent ppl from using extreme diets for weight loss resulting in muscle loss but not that u actually wont lose weight its just unhealthy...

Have you SEEN pictures of people who've suffered from anorexia for years? It ain't just weight they're losing...
  • Icoza87
    Icoza87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure she was referring to the diet of an anorexic person rather than calling anorexia a diet. I'm thinking english is not her first language. Could be wrong tho.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call anorexia a diet. it's a disease.

when a person starves themself (must starve themself) to the point of having their body canabolize itself because they see a skewed visage in the mirror - that's an ailment, not a diet.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I mean- you can't even say "diet" in terms of "what someone eats"
    -
    because welp- I mean the definitions exclude each other- that whole "not eating" thing.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I was having a discussion with a friend about diet and question was, why do anorexic ppl who eat very little and exercise a lot lose weight but for non anorexic ppl we are told we wont lose weight if we don't eat enough to fuel our workout and our bodies will go into starvation mode and hang on to fat but anorexics dont?

How does that work? I'm not condoning anorexia or any eating disorder but just want to understand science behind it...

IF you use a very low calorie diet it can be fine and healthy too IF you are under a Doctor's care the entire time, with very regular blood tests and all that... the main key, and the main difference between an anorexic person's diet and a properly done low calorie diet is PROTEIN... anorexic's lose muscle, including severe harm to their hearts which can and often does kill them. So a low calorie diet with supplements and that is mainly made up of plenty of protein does not harm your muscles, most importantly your heart... again this can only be done properly with a doctors supervision.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Anorexics do go into starvation mode...because they're starving. People who actually starve have different things going on than people who diet.

If you ate like an anorexic, you'd lose weight like one, but you'd also lose your friends, family (possibly), your job, your mind and maybe your life. If you recovered, you'd have problems there, too.

Don't compare yourself to anorexics. That's a whole world of pain there and one that you don't want. Hell, they don't even want it. Nobody wants that! Some people might think they do...especially if they're silly teen girls who don't get it...but if they knew what those girls went through, they'd say, "Oh, no thank you. I'll just diet and exercise."

Some anorexics don't even know how it started, but some start out trying to eat that like that and get sucked into the quicksand. Don't even consider it. Frankly, you'd be a fool to try to get anorexia (which is in NO way a slam at those who suffer with it.)
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have had anorexia for 10 years. It's not a pretty picture, many times I stopped eating for over 30 days and ended up in hospital being tube fed, being very sick. Which lead to being in hospital for months. I was having 6 different needles a day, I had refereeing syndrome, I was in starvation mode ( I was eating under 500 calories prior and purging and exercising)

I think just seeing the phrase "anorexia diet" made me want to slap someone...a diet is a choice, a disease isn't. Still to this day I am paying for what this disease has done to my body.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The difference between an anorexic person not not eating and someone trying to diet by starving themselves is this: an anorexic person eats nothing or close to nothing for a long time. A person trying to starve herself will give up eventually.
    both go into a starvation mode, and not lose weight at first, because the body holds onto everything it's got. But a normal, healthy person with an average willpower will give up, because they'll see starving for a week without losing anything is not worth it.
    A person suffering from anorexia, or someone who has no access to food (homeless, poverty, etc) will lose weight after all.
    However it's not healthy, obviously.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Put simply, there's a middle ground when it comes to... I'd almost be more inclined to say deficit compared to total calories because the numbers seem to work when they're all huge... where the body will do things to make the input/output balance.
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Okay.

Starvation mode is a myth. Yes, while eating a low calorie diet your metabolism does slow after a while, but it's after a couple of months of sustained heavy restriction.

I can say this to be true, because i ate about 16% of what my recommended daily intake is(to maintain) for quite a while(4-5 months), and i lost weight quickly, however, i felt like *kitten* and i now have heart issues, acid reflux(which i believe is now GERD), i have very little lean body mass, and i'm ALWAYS tired. Even while eating a healthy amount, consistently(not to mention my anxiety and depression has gotten worse).

It also bothers me that people think those who suffer with anorexia don't eat at all. Come on. If those with anorexia didn't eat at all, they'd die within a couple of months. Fasts happen a lot with those i know and as an observation as to what i did for a while, but they're not often more than a couple days.

• Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Okay.

Starvation mode is a myth. Yes, while eating a low calorie diet your metabolism does slow after a while, but it's after a couple of months of sustained heavy restriction.

I can say this to be true, because i ate about 16% of what my recommended daily intake is(to maintain) for quite a while(4-5 months), and i lost weight quickly, however, i felt like *kitten* and i now have heart issues, acid reflux(which i believe is now GERD), i have very little lean body mass, and i'm ALWAYS tired. Even while eating a healthy amount, consistently(not to mention my anxiety and depression has gotten worse).

It also bothers me that people think those who suffer with anorexia don't eat at all. Come on. If those with anorexia didn't eat at all, they'd die within a couple of months. Fasts happen a lot with those i know and as an observation as to what i did for a while, but they're not often more than a couple days.

And since I'm tired, i can't figure out how to edit my post so i shall just quote it..

Eating disorders suck. Any type. Bulimia nervosa, anorexia nervosa, anorexia athletica, binge eating disorder, ED-NOS, and everything else that i'm forgetting. It sucks. It's hell. I hate it. I hate all of it. If you, your friend, or anyone is thinking about trying to become anorexic, just know that you don't just lose weight. You lose friends, family's trust, sanity.. anything you have, you lose.

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    so the explanation that our bodies go into starvation and u end up not losing at all is just a myth to prevent ppl from using extreme diets for weight loss resulting in muscle loss but not that u actually wont lose weight its just unhealthy...
    Starvation mode is a bastardization of the idea of adaptive thermogenesis.

(*)
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The difference between an anorexic person not not eating and someone trying to diet by starving themselves is this: an anorexic person eats nothing or close to nothing for a long time. A person trying to starve herself will give up eventually.
    both go into a starvation mode, and not lose weight at first, because the body holds onto everything it's got.
    As established by the preceding 30 of so posts, which you obviously didn't read, this is BS. Your metabolism doesn't even begin to slow down until after 72 hours of fasting even then it doesn't slow down to a significant degree. True starvation mode doesn't occur until you're left with somewhere around <5% bodyfat. It is not a "fat people" problem.
    But a normal, healthy person with an average willpower will give up, because they'll see starving for a week without losing anything is not worth it.
    How is this relevant to the discussion of the validity of starvation mode?
  • nentecular
    nentecular Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" as a lot of people think of it is a load of utter rubbish.
    See
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    For the record.... Starvation mode DOES kick in when you are anorexic. I'm proof positive.

What people misunderstand is that starvation mode as a medical condition is NOT something that prevents you from losing weight. It's something that pertains to aggressive thermo-adaptivity, that causes the body to adjust itself to function on much lower caloric intake. You will lose weight, but when you eat anything you will end up being less able to metabolize that food, which in turn causes you to gain much quicker.

Anorexia Nervosa is a psychiatric condition that makes it impossible for the patient to eat adequate amounts of food due to body perception distortion and fear of gaining weight. At a certain point, it also becomes *physically* impossible to eat adequate amounts of food safely, and you have to rehabilitate yourself in order to eat proper amounts in a safe manner.
    Someone eating VLCD doesn't suffer this same psychiatric "perfect storm" theoretically. VLCD eaters tend to still eat varying levels of calories, have occasional binges and celebratory meals, and more. They do not typically maintain a low enough level of calories to convince the survival mechanisms of the body to say, we have to digest our own tissues in order to stay alive. The VLCD dieter will ultimately eat when they feel hungry. An anorexic will not... In fact, most anorexics cease to feel hunger.

My metabolism was absolutely destroyed by anorexia. When I developed binge eating problems after several years of anorexia, I went from being relatively normal, albeit showing kidney issues, to being extremely overweight. My thyroid at that point had stopped responding to normal stimulus, as I'd convinced my biology that food just wasn't there.

I strongly advise against VLCD because it's a slippery slope. Refeeding syndrome can be fatal, and it can make you feel so sick you'll think you're dying. Bodies work best when supported healthfully and efficiently, and I only wish I had really learned that before going down the road of eating disorders in a misguided idea, thinking that if I didn't eat, I would stop being heavy.