Stronglifts 5x5

Options
I started this program a month ago. Only being 117lbs I started light and I'm adding 2kg to the weights each workout. I am doing it 3 days a week as suggested as well as doing an aerobics class and les mills body step each week and 1 or 2 runs of between 3-5km. I know I'm not going to see a difference overnight but I'm still losing weight and not seeing any change in body shape. I'm currently eating around 1700 calories a day (I increased this from 1200 to 1500 and then 1700 after still losing weight). I'm afraid if I eat more I'm never going to get rid of any excess fat but since I don't weigh a lot as it is, I don't feel I should be losing any more (even though I do have quite a bit of fat around my midsection). Should I be incorporating more weights than just the stronglifts? If so, what other exercises should I be doing? I have no idea about weight training really.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting heavy on Stronglifts? Is your 5th rep really hard?
  • goldenglow90
    goldenglow90 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing, the 5th rep isn't hard to begin with but I struggle by the time I get to the 5th set which is why I'm not adding more than 2kg each time
  • rgauthier20420
    rgauthier20420 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Expect any changes in body shape to take a minimum of 8 weeks if you're starting a new lifting routine. Also, SL5x5 isn't necessarily a lifting routine that will give you muscle mass rather than a routine that will increase your strength. It will inevitably increase the size of your muscles, but it's not the primary goal of the routine.

Also, if you are still loosing at the new calorie goal you're eating at, you need to eat more. In order for muscle to grow larger they need a surplus of calories. However, you can get stronger on a deficit.

I would increase my intake to a point to where you're at least not loosing weight. Considering you're still doing a good amount of cardio while on the program, that might mean a good amount more calories to be eaten.