Any weight loss 'tricks' that actually work?

Options
13»

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Gimmicks work until you stop using them. And a lot of them come with side effects or contain junk that can't possibly be good for your body. If you want real, long lasting change you should opt for a healthier lifestyle.

I personally haven't tried any gimmicks or quick fixes. Just lots of sweat at the gym, food measuring, calorie counting, and self-motivation. I've experienced a steady decrease in weight over the past 2.5 years and am down 40 pounds.
  • EatPaleoStyle
    Options
    rachf2013 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone has tried any of the diet pills, weight loss patches, detoxes, clay wraps, etc and had real results?

I'm doing everything right (I think) but I can't seem to lose a pound. I eat 5 servings of veggies a day, 2-3 servings of fruit, less than 1700 cal per day, at least 100g of protein, no processed sugars, I stop eating 3 hours before going to bed, and exercise 3-5 times a week. I've been doing this for 2 months and am becoming very frustrated. [I am 5'2" and 140 lbs)

I know there is NO substitute for a healthy lifestyle but I'm wondering if there are any additions to the lifestyle that has personally worked for you?

Thanks!!

If you want to make your life easy and save a lot of money, just be simple, weight loss/gain is not a pill, is a process over time, the same that you don't get fat overnight you don't lose the weight in two weeks.

How many of those 1300 calories that are not protein do you consume on carbs? specially "healthy grains" (what a joke), what about fat?

You can try a 3-5 days juice fast and yes, undoubtedly you will lose weight but this is never a long term solution, this is just to detoxify your body of toxins in a quick way and then let it function normally, I don't personally like extremes unless necessary.

Just cut grains (all), dairy and sugar from your diet 1-3 months and see results.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Tricks in terms of diet pills or quick fixes, no. However I can share some of the tricks I use to keep myself on track while I eat at a deficit:
    1. Digital kitchen scale. Get one. Weigh everything
    2. Choose foods that will satiate such as lean meats, nuts, etc
    3. Plan ahead - don't find yourself starving with nothing to eat. Keep plenty of healthy snacks on hand, meal plan, try new recipes to keep it interesting
    4. Tell someone about your plan to keep yourself accountable
    5. Find an activity you enjoy - running, yoga, whatever
    6. Limit high-calorie beverages (this was huge for me). I would rather eat my calories and say full longer. Wine however does not fall into this category. I will always find room for wine
    7. Don't eliminate foods you love; find a way to work it in
    8. Track everything, every day
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Rays_Wife wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    please for the love of god, stop telling people to eat 10x their weight in calories.

OP, use an actual calculator to estimate your maintenance needs, eat at maintenance if you want to really test the number, and then after a month reduce that by 20% max. You'll find that you're likely not eating 10x your body weight.

I wonder why you keep promoting 10x goal weight for loss when you yourself do not appear to be following this, according to your ticker at least. 165lbs = 1650 calories, not 1300. I exercise an average of 20 minutes a day, but really it's 45-50 minutes 3x a week, strength training. And if I ate my current weight OR my goal weight in calories, I'd seriously be stabbing people due to severe hanger. This is why calculating TDEE based on activity level and not arbitrary weight x a number is going to provide more customized results.

Agree. We should have a flag for 'Ridiculous Broscience'.

YUP

yeah.... 5'9" at 168 lbs currently, but I burn between 2000-4100(current record 4050ish) depending on the intensity of my day! If I was eating 1700 calories I'd snap...
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    5"2 @ 1700 is almost maintaining. I am 5"2 and I try to average 1450, which is a modest deficit that I prefer so it can be a little easier, albeit slower.
    If you aim for under 1700 and have any kind of cheat meal or if you ever eat something you are unsure of, then it's cutting it close. If you lower your daily goal a little you will have a little bit more room for error. DO NOT overestimate your exercise burns. I allow myself maybe 100-150 calories on days that I exercise.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't know you but if you were losing hair etc it is possible it occurred because of the composition of your diet and not specifically the number of calories. 1200 is low but not extreme. Maybe you cut out too many nutritious foods and only ate diet foods. Just a theory.
    Another question, have you not been losing at all or are you just unhappy with the rate of loss? Because losing slowly is totally awesome, just need patience.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    lavendy17 wrote: »
    5"2 @ 1700 is almost maintaining. I am 5"2 and I try to average 1450, which is a modest deficit that I prefer so it can be a little easier, albeit slower.
    If you aim for under 1700 and have any kind of cheat meal or if you ever eat something you are unsure of, then it's cutting it close. If you lower your daily goal a little you will have a little bit more room for error. DO NOT overestimate your exercise burns. I allow myself maybe 100-150 calories on days that I exercise.

This for me too, I'm 5'3" and 1700 is close to maintenance. Losing about 3 pounds a month on 1200ish (and eating back all fitbit exercise cals).
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    One "trick" that has helped me lose weight is using a food scale to weigh and pre-log my food. It also makes it possible to build in yummy things guilt-free.

I do this too....I already pre-logged my 4 beers tomorrow night :D