Feeling sick after too many carbs?

Options
I have been doing a moderate protein/high fat version of low carbing and have been getting really great results. Long story short, it has been quite some time since I have eaten more than 40ish carbs in one day. My family and I were having a particularly hectic day of errands and I just did not have it in me to wait so late in the day to eat lunch, so we opted for fast food. I had a burger and fries. At first I was fine, but after a few hours, I felt very sick. I puked twice and my husband commented that it really smelled especially bad. I also felt extremely tired with intestinal cramping. Has anyone else had a bad reaction after eating something "bad" after a long period of low carbing?

Replies

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it wasn't food poisoning? The most I have had excessive carbs do is make me feel really blah, but they've never made me that sick. Of course, I don't restrict mine too much. I keep them around 150 for the day.
  • walkingmommy2014
    walkingmommy2014 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. My husband and I ate the same thing and he did not get sick. I also got a headache and felt a bit light headed off and on. I am starting to feel a lot better now, but I was in bad shape for a few hours. I ate about 200g of carbs today. I think dehydration may have also played a part in the headache though.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It was more likely the type of fat involved. Or, if you are the type who vomits from stress, it may have been psychological.

Hope you feel better!
  • walkingmommy2014
    Options
    Thank you for the well wishes! I am feeling better and better as time goes by. I am not a stress-sickness type. I basically never get sick and I have not puked in like 2 years (morning sickness during pregnancy).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates do not cause vomiting. Maybe flu?
  • walkingmommy2014
    Options
    Nope, not the flu. in fact, I just had my physical last week and got a flu shot. I thought this was all pretty strange, so I guess I was just wondering if anything similar has happened to anyone else. I do not think anything is wrong with carbs in general, I am just wondering if perhaps the drastic contrast in my eating today was behind the sickness? As I said, my husband and I ate the same thing. The sickness is lifting (after pepto, lots of water, a shower, and an aspirin). I still feel too sick to eat anything else though. Besides for my morning coffee, the burger and fries is all I had (so it must be the cause behind it).
  • ColdPlum
    ColdPlum Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have felt something similar, but it ended up that I was sensitive to gluten. I never noticed before but when I went low carb for a long stretch, I discovered that I couldn't tolerate gluten as well. I get a stomach ache after eating bread or pasta, but I've never thrown up. That's the only carb link I can think of, but these other posts are very likely as well.
  • lindadowd589
    Options
    whenever I eat fast food burgers and fries I get stomach cramping and diarrhea. I believe it is due to the unnatural not real fact that they use to make these foods. my body is just not used to that kind of eating anymore.
  • walkingmommy2014
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the feedback. Perhaps it is not even carb related at all, but perhaps as lindadowd589 suggested, it could be due to the poor quality of food compared to my now clean eating habbits. I am not sure of any kind of gluten sensitivity, because this is the first time in my life that I have tried to change my eating long term in a significant way.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    When does vomit smell good?? :|
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    it takes up to two weeks for the flu shot to become "effective" and you still can get other strains of flu. but if it was truly that it would have lasted longer I would think. could have been the grease from the grill. I notice that If I eat a burger out or even fries if they dont clean the grill often(or change the oil) I will get stomach issues where everyone else who was with me does not.so its possible it was the grease
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Going from 40 grams of carbs per day to 200 grams of carbs can most certainly cause chaos in one's body.

When I eat more carbs than I normally do, I get diarrhea and an overall feeling of stomach discomfort.
  • walkingmommy2014
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    When does vomit smell good?? :|

LOL I should have explained that the bathroom door was only slightly cracked and he could smell my puke all the way through the hall into our bedroom. I also had the bathroom window open, so you can imagine how powerful/terrible the smell was.

• walkingmommy2014
    Options
    *Update: I am feeling almost 100% now :p I think it was about 5 hours from start to finish. Crazy!