Can an elliptical be a good tool? Have heard negative things......

Options
I have an elliptical and am actually starting to enjoy using it. But I have heard some discouraging things about using them for weight loss. I am sending a call out to see if anyone has any advice for me. I have started doing some strength training exercises as well but really want to stick to the elliptical for cardio since it is something that I am willing to do. Is the iFit worth getting? I really enjoy just putting on music. I guess I am not really sure what I am asking but would love to hear something positive or at least some constructive advice on making it work for me.

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    It burns calories is low impact and uses your whole body if you use the handles. Enjoy.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    an elliptical is not my "thing" as I enjoy the experience of running outdoors.....the sights, sounds and smells of being outside makes me feel good. I have worked out on an elliptical before and it does give a good cardio workout without a lot of impact on your knees and hips. I say if you like it, use it!! You will burn calories and get a workout with it, so ignore the naysayers.
  • shthompson74
    shthompson74 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have used an elliptical style machine for all of my cardio the last 6 months and have lost 40 pounds... if the elliptical machine is a machine you are comfortable with and are having success on then stick with it. Cheers!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the negative stuff you heard wasn't from people insisting that you needed to do resistance training instead of cardio (as opposed to in addition to cardio)?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    It's an efficient way to burn calories, more than walking or running or pretty much anything else.
    If you like it, do it.

But don't rely on exercise for weight loss. Most weight loss comes from controlling calories in.
    It's easy to not eat 250 cal, but takes a while to exercise away.
    Also, most people underestimate what they eat & most machines (including MFP) overestimate calories burned, so ignore exercise or "net" calories. Just eat at your calorie goal (10x a healthy goal weight).

51637601.png
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the negative stuff you heard wasn't from people insisting that you needed to do resistance training instead of cardio (as opposed to in addition to cardio)?

I have seen comments from people dismissing ellipticals/cross trainers specifically
    because they claim that "the machine does all the work". This is silly ideological posturing for the most part, but it's out there.
  • MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If your comfortable using the elliptical, use it. It is working for you. Everyone is built differently, have their own preferences, and have a different set of physical conditions/limitations. I know my husband prefers the elliptical because both of his knees are bad now (21 yrs in the USMC) and the elliptical is the best thing for him to get his cardio workout in. He if ran outside, he wouldn't make it past the first block.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is my machine of choice since January now. Paired with CICO and strength training I've lost almost 90 lbs. Some people say the machine does the work for you but I guess those people don't up the resistance or incline on the machine because according to my heart rate monitor I'M doing the work :)
  • Adara65
    Options
    I keep it simple. Activity burns calories. If your moving and enjoying it, press on!
  • CinthyN
    CinthyN Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love it, love it!! I used to use a stationery bike before, and it was good. I switched to an elliptical and it's amazing!! In the 2 months I've used it, I lost over 20 lbs, and my love handles have reduced too. I actually have a shape (and it's no longer round) :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mlrtri wrote: »
    I have an elliptical and am actually starting to enjoy using it. But I have heard some discouraging things about using them for weight loss. I am sending a call out to see if anyone has any advice for me. I have started doing some strength training exercises as well but really want to stick to the elliptical for cardio since it is something that I am willing to do. Is the iFit worth getting? I really enjoy just putting on music. I guess I am not really sure what I am asking but would love to hear something positive or at least some constructive advice on making it work for me.

for weight loss, you just need a calorie deficit...

for fitness, it depends what your goals are to what your best tools are.
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I was so proud of myself for using the elliptical routinely and was really discouraged by the negative things people were telling me. I especially enjoyed reading the successes that others had using the elliptical. I guess I will just have to continue watching my calories and using the elliptical and prove them all wrong :)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy, but I use the "devil" (aka elliptical) for my cardio. I hate it, but it's easy on my knees.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you, I do find it funny when people find things at the current time that are "better" then dismiss the later as a waste of time...
  • Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    for me it is a waste of time for cardio. unless you pile on the tork It uses less muscle to push the thing and I burn much more doing tread mill or stair climber even spin bicycle. If you want to burn calories you have to add tork and most people don't do that.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It has worked very well for me. Just, if your knees are bad, don't do more than half an hour at a time. Also alternate going forwards and backwards every 5 to 10 minutes. This helps balance your muscles and protect your knees as well. The non impact part of it is especially important to me. I like a stationary bike as well for the same reason, but that, I can do for more than 1/2 hour without knees complaining. 45 minutes is about right for that one. You can turn up the resistance to match your fitness level to keep you burning calories on both those types of machines.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    go at whatever cadence you like. whatever direction you like. whatever works. have fun and elliptical away! yay!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    elliptical is one of the machines i use, monday when i was on it my heart rate was 174. if thats not me hard at work then i dont know what i should be doing
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    IMO the cross trainer (arms and legs) style is a better choice than the legs only elliptical, but in either case, modern commercial machines have a resistance range from very easy to beyond the capacity of any elite athlete. If you can't get a quality cardio workout on an elliptical, ur doin' it wrong.
  • AlinaRose17
    AlinaRose17 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Personally, I enjoy the elliptical a lot because it is more seamless to do HIIT on than a treadmill (IMO) and it is also easier on me. I have tight Achilles tendons and a high arch, so running is not impossible, but can be uncomfortable if I do it for long periods of time on a treadmill or outdoors. Just another great tool in the gym. I usually use it for 20 minute stints after I lift, maybe 2-3 times a week.