Insomnia

Options
I find myself wide awake when I should be sleeping. What's on your mind when you can't stop the wheels from turning?

Replies

• Alinamariec
    Alinamariec Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sadly most of the time it's usually just me up doing homework :/
  • Adara65
    Options
    Well, at least you're being constructive! :)
  • Alinamariec
    Options
    Hah yeah I guess you could say that
  • Baconist
    Baconist Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    being upset with morons who go off on me over things I have no control over.
  • Alinamariec
    Options
    Don't you just hate that!?
  • Adara65
    Options
    Well you said it yourself Baconist, "things I have no control over". Let them sit with it!
  • Adara65
    Options
    I think about things like what the US would be like if everyone lived off the grid...
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I get bad anxiety. If I can feel my heart beating I think "heart attack", if I feel a twinge in my thigh I think "blood clot" etc...

My anxiety varies, some nights I keep my bedroom door unlocked because I'm afraid ill have a heart attack or stroke and no one will be able to easily get to me through a locked door. Then other nights I make rounds throughout the house locking doors because I fear break ins and being murdered in my sleep. :\

Tonight I'm awake because I have the flu with a fever of 103.2 >_< so I'm lounging on the main level of the house so someone can find me if being this ill takes a turn for the worse.
  • ssmkgp
    ssmkgp Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Get your Cortisol level checked !
    Cortisol is a stress-induced chemical that is released by the adrenal gland. While some cortisol is beneficial for survival, some people overproduce cortisol. When this happens, you may notice you feel anxious, stressed out and have a tendency to gain weight besides sleepless night. Reducing the amount of cortisol produced within your body can have a positive effect on your overall health and leave you feeling more relaxed and balanced. (a) Cut back or eliminate all drinks with large amounts of caffeine in them, (b) Reduce the amount of processed foods in your diet, (c) Make sure you're getting enough water, (d) Try hot black tea & Get more fish oil into your diet, (e) Try meditation techniques - For best results, participate in meditation for 30 minutes a day, three to four times a week. After the first session, you should see a significant difference.
    ~ Eliminate stress-inducing people and/or things from your life, if possible. If your job is the cause of your chronic stress, consider changing careers or cutting down on your hours.
    ~ Regular exercise helps. Early morning, late afternoon or early evening exercise doesn't interfere with sleep. However, refrain from exercise four hours prior to sleep.
    ~ Stay away from caffeine, nicotine and alcohol 4-6 hours before sleep. Get up and go to bed at the same time everyday as it helps your sleep cycle remain in rhythm. Adjust the temperature, light and noise levels to your needs.
    ~ Go to bed only when you are 'sleepy tired'. Do not watch TV, work, study or eat in bed. If you are not asleep within 20 minutes, get out of bed and sit and relax in another room in dim-light or read something till you are sleepy again.
    ~ Set up a work activity deadline at least 90 minutes prior to bedtime. Practice a relaxation routine in bed, concentrate on your breathing; release all the tension from your muscle groups — arms, neck, shoulders, face and eyes, stomach and back and legs. Don't worry about inability to sleep. Postpone the thinking of problems to the next morning.
  • 1nsomniac13
    1nsomniac13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Been having an ongoing battle with insomnia for about 12 years now. Most of mine is triggered by anxiety, but every medication or supplement I've been put on fails to drop me any faster and I feel like death the next day.

So I've acclimated to about 3-5 hours of sleep per night as a result. I've practically removed all caffeine from my diet (one can of soda a day is all that remains)... the sleep clinic has told me that my internal clock is just different from most and I need to learn to adapt to it (I can get 8 hours of sleep if it's from 3am-11am... but the business world doesn't work on that schedule).

Reducing stress isn't easy when you're a total worrywart too. I eliminate one source and something else rushes in to fill the void. :\