Forced into Maintenance

Options
CaraRadz
CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
On April 31, I had my first wedding dress fitting. At the time, I weighed 185.4 pounds. I convinced the seamstress to take in my dress a little more than she already had to so that I could lose a little more weight in the five weeks between fittings. She agreed, though she was obviously skeptical that I'd actually lose the weight. She said I needed to lose 8-10 pounds to make up the difference. Here I am, three days before my next fitting, and I weigh 175 pounds. I've maxed out my "allowable" weight loss, and now I need to maintain this weight until my wedding on May 28.

I am terrified.

I joined MFP on December 28, 2010. I've never missed a day of logging in (as of yesterday, my count is 125 days). In that time, I've lost 48 pounds and really made eating healthy and exercising a priority in my life. I've largely been on a 2-pound/week, 1,200 calorie plan (eating back the vast majority of my exercise calories), with some time on a 1 or 1.5-pound/week plan as I got closer to final dress weight. The prospect of eating 2,050 calories each day is just crazy to me, especially because I don't want to stop working out and I firmly believe in eating my exercise calories. I feel like I don't know how to eat that much without snacking on crap. I don't want to revert back to my old ways of stuffing my face just because things taste good. Just like I needed to learn how to eat healthily on a deficit, I now need to learn how to eat healthily in maintenance.

Here's my plan:
-I will continue to log my food on MFP.
-I will cut back my gym trips from 5-6 days/week to 3-4 days/week.
-I will load up my kitchen with healthy, calorie-dense foods (suggestions appreciated).
-I will eat more at breakfast and lunch so I'm not eating the bulk of my new calories at the end of the day.
-I will reward myself with a trip to Five Guys with my fiance. He's lost 50 pounds, hit his goal weight, and is also in maintenance.
-I will rock my dress and enjoy every second of my wedding day.
-I will have a blast on my honeymoon in Athens.
-Starting 6/8/11, I will be back on a deficit and be ready to lose those last 20 pounds before my 25th birthday on 9/1/11.

Thank you to the MFP community, and especially my friends, for all of your support and guidance over the last four months. I know that you will all continue to be invaluable to me as I enter into this new phase of my journey.

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    aw man that's really too bad they can't take it in again!!!! :) Congrats on your weight loss and you upcoming wedding! :)
  • sapphirelazuli
    Options
    Firstly, well done you for proving that skeptical seamstress wrong! Secondly, don't worry too much! If you do start losing, it's easy to add a couple of pounds again, haha :) Enjoy your big day!
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Congrats to both of you on your weight loss. Congrats on the wedding. You picked a good date (that is the day I married my beautiful bride).

One food suggestion is Progresso Soups. They have a great varriety and they keep me full and I have a BIG appetite. The Chicken Tuscany is high in fiber and tastes great.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    congrats! you will look amazing in your dress! im on maintainance and i still log my food as it helps to keep me on track. I think i will for a very very long time.
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Options
    This is what is called a "high rent problem". :-) But seriously, congratulations on your progress and congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Your plan sounds very sensible and attainable. Another suggestion I've read to boost caloric intake without resorting to eating a bunch of junk is to drink some of them back--chocolate milk and protein shakes to name a few.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to both of you on your weight loss- I'm sure you'll meet your goal after your wedding! Your plan sounds great- I'm also a bit nervous about maintenance!
  • allanaaron
    allanaaron Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats. I strongly suggest you make it a goal to come up short 100 calories a day. You might lose a pound or two but with your exercise cutting back and your eating more you'll be fine. it would be a gift anyway to be a couple pounds light in your dress as a trade off for all those times you wore tight clothes because you had too much body to fit into too little material. A week before your big day if your dress truly is too loose (and it won't be) you can use your calorie counting to add on a few pounds. Your body is going to appreciate the rest you're planning to give it. Make sure to count the calories you;re going to burn on your honeymoon. ; )
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am sure you will look fabulous.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    You're going to do well no matter what, I'm sure of it!! You're going to be beautiful on your wedding day and once it's all over I know you'll be right back kicking butt :smile:

Some calorie dense foods to get to munch on are nuts (cashews, almonds, etc), peanut butter, brown rice, beans, potatoes and whole grain breads. They're not bad for you but give you some extra calories without being junk! I wouldn't suggest the Progresso soups because they are pretty low-cal so they'll fill you up but are only about 150 cals for the entire can! Good luck I know you'll do great!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!