Pounds vs. Inches

Options
Hi all. I started back on 11/6. I've always been one to swear by the scale but this time I'm tracking inches as well. I'm weighing in/measuring once a week. Since I'm new to measuring inches, I was wondering if there's any type of "typical" or "average" progress to be expected. So far, I've lost 18 lbs and 2" from my waist and a trivial amount from my hips. I'm doing 50 mins of moderate cardio a day along with a very basic ab workout. For those of you that measure, was just curious what I can expect. Thanks!

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good question, I'm down 12lbs(more before this site) and no inches off waist...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    There's no answer to your question...you're going to lose fat from wherever so there's not telling how many inches will be off your waist vs extremities or how fast.

I lost 1.5 inches around my neck and more in my extremities before I ever lost anything around my waist. I was down a good 20 Lbs before I lost anything measurable around my waist.

There's just no telling...don't worry about it...just keep progressing.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There's no answer to your question...you're going to lose fat from wherever so there's not telling how many inches will be off your waist vs extremities or how fast.

I lost 1.5 inches around my neck and more in my extremities before I ever lost anything around my waist. I was down a good 20 Lbs before I lost anything measurable around my waist.

Agreed.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Interesting, I'm down over 20 lbs total, Nothing off my waist and gained a 1/2" on my neck...Eating at a deficit and lifting heavy.. Can't make sense of this but hey I'm losing and getting fit..lol
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    It would depend on what exactly you lost. Water? fat? or muscle? Fat loss is going to have the most change in measuring body.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi! In my experience, there is no such thing as 'typical'. It's all very much 'individual'. With your exercise routine, the inches will more or less come off as your genes will allow. Add some serious resistance training to it, and it will be completely different. The number on the scale won't go down as much, but the fat will very likely melt off, and the dress sizes will go down, too.
    When I started lifting, I was at 125 and a dress size 8, now I'm at 130 lbs and a dress size 4...well, mostly...my shoulders are a size 6 now...not complaining, though... =)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Since Sept, when I finally dared step on the scale/do measurements (4 months post partum) I've lost about 15lbs and 12.5cm off my waist, 6.5cm off my boobs, 5cm from under my boobs and 9cm off my hips.

I do a lot of strength training, probably more than I did pre-pregnancy, and I'm fairly sure if I get down to pre-pregnancy weight I'll be a lot smaller than I was before.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Another data source are photos. Take progressive selfies in the same outfit and lighting--you will be glad you did later.
  • april21401
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It's going to vary greatly from person to person and likely has more to do with your sex and body shape than with what exercise you do. I think women who are hourglass or pear shaped are more likely to lose belly fat before booty or thigh fat, while men and apple shaped women tend to lose belly fat later.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Usually, I lose on the scale and then on the measuring tape. Rarely both at the same time!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    melduf wrote: »
    Usually, I lose on the scale and then on the measuring tape. Rarely both at the same time!

This is what I was going to suggest. Since you recently started losing weight, I believe you'll see the scale results first. When the number of pounds lost slows down (and if you're exercising) you'll then see measurement changes.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    You also might not see much change in one week's time. I do measurements once a month and see more of a change.

Also, no loss is trivial :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It is going to vary wildly per person. Some people lose nothing on the scale and a lot of inches though - others like me lose on the scale but absolutely nothing with the measuring tape.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person, what they're doing/eating, and how much they have to lose. So there's not really any good yardstick. Just keep at it and the progress will come.

One thing I would suggest is measuring monthly instead of weekly. Inches take longer to come off than pounds. I would also measure more than just waist and hips. I measure mid-biceps, mid-thighs, chest, neck, waist (2 places), and pelvis. Usually I'll drop in a few areas, but not others. Some don't move for awhile, but they do eventually. Just gotta keep at it!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I use a mixture of pictures, the scale, measurements, and tests (flexibility, strength, etc) to paint an overall picture of how I'm doing. The scale is weekly, the rest about every 4-6 months. I've gone through periods of no weight loss but lots of inches lost. And the body will lose fat where it wants to lose fat. I'd love for it to attack my thighs, but apparently it liked my shoulders and now seems to be attacking my waist. Eventually the thighs will be up!

Best of luck and just keep going!
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I use all 3, scale, tape measure, and photo's. I started T-25 on Oct 6th. Lost 3.5 lbs, over 18inches (all over) and can definitly see changes via progress photo's. Do all 3! :-)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm down 1" on my waist since my last check, but up 3 pounds. Guess something to do with all my silly workouts or something.
  • therealblackdahlia
    therealblackdahlia Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a set answer..I'm down a little over 10 lbs in the past three weeks and I've lost 2 inches off my bust, 3 off my waist, and two off my hips. I think everyone is different!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Just to through another wrench into the mix:

I only have access to a measuring tape right now, no scale. I went to enter my measurements into MFP and found the measurements from last spring. My waist is bigger and my hips are smaller than back then.