Nead clarification on how the calorie tracking works...

Here is my situation. I exercise for two hours per day (one in the morning, and another hour before I go to be). My goal is to lose 2 lbs per week. Now, with my weight being 315 lbs right now, I calculate the calorie intake to be 2800 (correct me if I am incorrect). So, my question is this: as a male, should I consume no more than 2800 calories per day? And, if so, I should I structure my eating habit, especially in the morning, after I wake up? For reason, I do feel that I am getting stronger, but I haven't lost any weight lately. I don't know if it's what I eat, or if I am consuming more calories in general. I will say that, before actually looking into what MyFitnessPal has to offer, I merely exercised off whatever I consumed (ex: I eat 100 cal, I burn off 100 cal). Since I did this two weeks ago, I haven't seen any results. I thought I might have to wait a while before my eating habits stabilize to the point of trying out the methods used by MyFitnessPal, which is why I am posting right now. Any help will be really appreciated.

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    If your weight is not changing that means you are burning what you are consuming and no more. To lose weight you can either exercise more or eat less or both.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Hi dswynne,
    I did a quick chech on tour BMR and TDEE assuming a height of 5'
    Your BMR = 2633 ( that is your basic metabolic rate- the amount if food you need to exist)
    Your TDEE = 3160 ( the amount of food you need living a stationary lifestyle).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Sorry lost part of the above post. Here it is in full.

Hi dswynne,
    I did a quick check on your BMR and TDEE assuming a height of 5'10
    Your BMR = 2633 ( that is your basic metabolic rate- the amount of food you need to exist)
    Your TDEE = 3160 ( the amount of food you need living a stationary lifestyle).
    Here is the website
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

It looks as though you may be underestimating your calories especially if you are exercising 2 hr per day.
    Because the estimated burn of most exercises is exaggerated a lot of people only eat back 50-75% of the calories burnt through exercise.

Check your BMR & TDEE that I have given you the link for and adjust accordingly. Also make sure you have a scale to weigh your food accurately. And measure your body as well as weighing yourself. Sometimes you lose inches rather than pounds.

Log your food daily.

You can eat your food whenever you wish. There is no rule that says you must eat 2,4,6, or even 10 times a day.

Hope this helps, h.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    How tall are you?
    How are you calculating your burns?
    Are you weighing your food with a food scale?
    What sort of exercise are you doing?
    Please open your diary
    Based on 5'10" height maintenance comes out at 2799 for sedentary.

If you want to lose 2lb a week then you deduct 1000, so 1799 becomes your calorie target.
    Its this gap called the deficit which equates to you eating less than your body needs to maintain that helps you lose weight.

If you exercise on top of that then you will be burning calories which you can help increase the deficit or earn you eatback calories.

One of the most common issues on MFP is accuracy of figures you are using on how much you eat or burn. If they overorunderestimate, then your deficit may in fact be different. Its common for people to underestimate the amount they are eating and overestimate the amount being burned, which might mean when they are actually consuming more or equivalent to what they need so either put on or maintain their weight.

You need to be in deficiy yo lose weight. You probably arent for the above reasons.
    So eat less or move more will probably be the answer.
  • My apologies. Here are more stats:

Ht: 73 inches.
    Wt: 315 lbs.
    I work at a restaurant five days per week, where I am on my feet on average 6hours.
    I live in Alameda, CA, an island town next to Oakland, CA (in the Bay Area), where I walk around all the time (places of interests is no less than a mile or 2 where I live).
    My primary exercises are cardio, thanks to Daily Burn's "True Beginners" series (which I originally found as an app from Apple's App Store, and later on the 'net), though I just got into using the resistance tubes for strength building.

If more info is needed, let me know. I am more than willing to share, in order to overcome.
  • Oh, and I am using the RMR system to figure out my calories, too.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    edited November 2014
    I did a quick calcalation on your BMR

according to height at 6.0
    according to age 43 and sex male

your BMR came out to 2,362 (staying in bed all day)
    your aim should be 1362 cals if you didn't do any exercises if you want to lose two pounds a week.
    Adjust accordingly to exercise on how much more to consume. You're looking at roughly 2000 cals if you exercise that much.

What's your day job like? Do you sit at a desk or are you on your feet all day?

If I had to guess, you're eating either more then you think you are which a food scale is definitly helpful, and should consider cutting back on the amount of calories until you see your weight begin to move.

It's basically trial and error at this point.

My starting weight was 330 pounds. I now weigh 285 pounds. If you want to friend me I can help you work this out.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Ok, your BMR is 2382. Your TDEE is 4110. So eating at TDEE- 20% your calories would be 3288.

You don't take calories from BMR, it's from your TDEE.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#top
  • Falcon wrote: »
    What's your day job like? Do you sit at a desk or are you on your feet all day?

I work at a restaurant at 6 hours on average, 5 days per week on my feet (with a 1/2 hr break), and I walk around (leisurely) in my neighborhood within a 2 to 4 mile radius.

And, yes, it would be my honor to friend you. :smile:
  • Ok, your BMR is 2382. Your TDEE is 4110. So eating at TDEE- 20% your calories would be 3288.

You don't take calories from BMR, it's from your TDEE.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#top

Thanks! :smiley:
  • Falcon
    edited November 2014
    I would definitely invest in a food scale, watch the amount of calories in the packages, keep a log on everything you consume including little cheats because they do add up.

Sounds like between 2800 and 3200 should be your aim.

Open your diary so I can have a peek at what you have been eating. Watch the sodium intake as that's a biggy. That will cause water weight retention. Measure yourself, you maybe losing inches. You can base progress on how your clothes feel as well.
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    If you work in a restaurant, you may be eating more than you think due to tasting bites while cooking. While each may be small, they add up and may require a work fudge factor to include in your daily calorie count. It's something to be conscious of.
  • Falcon
    Are you a chief or a waiter at your job?
    Are you a chief or a waiter at your job?

Kitchen Worker (i.e. food prep and front counter).
  • Falcon
    Do you taste and snack as you work?

Why was my previous posts flagged? I'm just trying to get a better understanding that's all....
    Do you taste and snack as you work?

Why was my previous posts flagged? I'm just trying to get a better understanding that's all....

Mistake, on my part (trying to get a handle of this site)...

No, I don't snack at work. I used to take food home from work, when I first started working at my present job, but stopped doing that a while back. I do eat a complete dinner after work, which includes a salad with very little dressing, and a single serving of the main meal.

No, my problem is when I don't work at my job. With job, there are so many types of foods available before you get tired of the same thing. And since I don't like to cook for myself (since I prep cook for work), I go out to eat instead. Got work on that...