I NEED a support group to HELP me meet my goals and to get this thing started!

Options
My name is Kristen and I am a mother of two 4 and 5. I work part time as an Administrative Assistant and dont get a lot of exercise. I have recently joined Planet Fitness and I am looking forward to going. It is going to be hard staying motivated during the holidays :/. I have went to gym before and never saw any results and it was very discouraging and I quit. I need help trying to find the right diet and exercise routine to get me started and how to start eating healthier.

Replies

• kerlkaj77
    kerlkaj77 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Maybe we can help eachother. I've been on my weight loss plan for over a year now, and have lost more than 35 pounds in that time. Lately I've really been struggling to stay on track and really need someone keeping me accountable. I have a gym membership, and I have been doing Zumba 2-3 times per week there for several months now. I have also recently decided to try to train myself to jog, so I'm trying to get in some treadmill time too each week. It's harder with the treadmill though because there isn't a specific time that I need to be there, so it's easier to put it off. I need to get myself on a schedule.
    Anyway, I would be thrilled to have someone to check in with, to keep me on track and hopefully I can do the same for you. :D
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristen. You can do this!

It might help to break things down into smaller, more manageable steps. For example, start logging your food - all of it, every bite, every sauce, every sip. And get a good idea of how many calories you are currently consuming. From there, you can see how much you need to cut and how much of an adjustment that will require.

If you don't have a food scale, invest in one. It really takes much of the guesswork out of logging.

Make a plan for the gym. "I'm going to spend 30 minutes on the elliptical every other day." Make sure it's something that seems attainable. I would encourage you not to think that you need to spend an hour there every day to start off. It might feel like too much.

Look into some weightlifting programs. There are many free ones online. Lifting weights builds muscle, muscle burns calories. Plus, you'll be surprised how much lighter the 4-year-old feels when you've been lifting heavy at the gym for a month or two.

Find what you enjoy or at least can tolerate. Everyone is different when it comes to exercise. Some people love running, some hate it. Try a little of everything until you find something that clicks for you. It took me years to find the right mix that I was willing to stick with.

Some people will knock Planet Fitness, but if it fits your budget and your schedule, then it's what works for you, and don't let anyone tell you that you can't get a good workout there. You can get a good workout anywhere you put your mind to do so.

Be gentle with yourself. You can't lose 25 pounds of body fat overnight. No one can. But you can make a better choice today than you did yesterday. And tomorrow, you can do even better.

Take pictures, before and during. Sometimes the camera sees what the scale does not. Also, pay attention to how your clothes fit, they also will tell you stories the scale will not.

• kar2083
    kar2083 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation as kerikaj77. I want to resume running, I used to run (mostly on the treadmill) last winter in preparation for doing a 5K. I'm hoping to do a 10k in April but I haven't gone running since May :neutral_face: . I also just resumed doing Zumba (my fav instructor came back from Mat leave) about once or twice a week depending on my schedule, but I'm having trouble motivating myself to go to the gym or exercise in general. I also have a big problem staying away from chips, and eating healthy in general. The last few days I've been successful in resisting the urge, but it is definitely challenging. Perhaps we can all motivate each other. Feel free to add me.
  • lorrikooten
    lorrikooten Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the motivation! My problem is if I don't start seeing results I give up so easy. I definitely need a food scale I think that would help soooo much!!! Does anyone else have trouble logging food or is just me? I feel like it makes me hungrier..

I don't know if any of you have a planet fitness, but when I went the other day I did the Design Your Own workout and it is very informative and helpful I will keep everyone up to date on how I am doing and I would love feedback from the rest of you. I think it would be very encouraging and supportive for all of us :)

Maybe we could post pics of ourselves monthly and our measurements and weight.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Just remember to put more emphasis on the diary. Planet Fitness will help but not choosing the right calorie goal and staying under it can undo everything.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    If you want to make progress this time, you should choose and complete a program. Otherwise, you're just running up and down the field without scoring.
  • lorrikooten
    Options
    Your right! Deifinitly need to stick to a program! I have read that 70% diet and 30% exercise is what helps to lose weight.
  • yoovie
    Options
    that's not a program. That's a success formula rule of thumb that isn't individualized.

Are you a cardio -only type who doesn't want to balance your exercise?
    Are you a diet-only type who doesn't want to exercise.
    Are you a strength trainer who doesn't do cardio?
    Are you a yoga / pilates lover who doesn't want to do cardio or strength?

What are your fitness goals?

Dont say weight loss - that's a side effect. It's a loss of something.

What is it that you want to DO or ACCOMPLISH! A road race? A road race under a specific time? A triathlon? An obstacle course race? A rockwall? A mountain to hike?

Training for any of these things will result in a higher level of fitness and a lower weight.

but it's the training that does it. Not talking about a vague ambition of having a lighter gravitational pull.

Pick something you want to achieve within a year or 6 months.

Research and choose a program that will help you reach it. Couch to 5K, Strong Lifts, Starting Strength - SOMETHING. Because you aren't knowledgeable enough yet to create and develop a program of your own.

You gotta aim. Not just refer loosely to something you wish you had. Thats how bystanders get shot :P
  • kerlkaj77
    Options
    I have said for the last three weeks that I will go to the gym and do 45-60 minutes on the treadmill on the days I don't have a zumba class. I'm good about making myself go to zumba because I have a specific time I have to get there (and I like to get there before it gets overly packed and I get stuck in a corner...), but when it comes to just going and working out, I can't seem to get myself to go since I can just keep putting it off. It's not like the treadmill will close if I don't get there by 6... or 7... or 8. Then I'm too tired and I'll "try again tomorrow." UGH! Any ideas?
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Get the recordings of the type of music they play in zumba and listen to them on the treadmill. Maybe even move the hips a bit. Not exactly the same but music is what I use to get my really long workouts in.
  • kerlkaj77
    Options
    Yeah, I listen to Pandora while I'm on the treadmill. My problem is getting myself on a schedule so that I will actually GET there. I need to figure out a way to trick myself into thinking I need to get there by 6:00 or whatever. Otherwise I procrastinate my night away since there isn't a deadline. Know what I mean?
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to do it. Getting there is the hardest part. Once you go no matter what, it always works on when you get there.
  • yoovie
    Options
    kerlkaj77 wrote: »
    I have said for the last three weeks that I will go to the gym and do 45-60 minutes on the treadmill on the days I don't have a zumba class. I'm good about making myself go to zumba because I have a specific time I have to get there (and I like to get there before it gets overly packed and I get stuck in a corner...), but when it comes to just going and working out, I can't seem to get myself to go since I can just keep putting it off. It's not like the treadmill will close if I don't get there by 6... or 7... or 8. Then I'm too tired and I'll "try again tomorrow." UGH! Any ideas?

what program are you following that doesnt suffer from skipped sessions?

• Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I pay just as much attention to what and how much I consume during the holiday season as I do during the rest of the year.

@lorrikooten - I fully understand. I, too, have gone to the gym before and would get discouraged, quit, start again, quit, etc. It took me a few years to understand that the problem was with my mind, not with how I was doing things. I was looking for an overnight success to a situation that had been 25+ years in the making. Being committed and consistent with your fitness and nutrition regime will be the key to achieving overall health. I don't go the gym anymore, opting to instead walking a lot [an average of 2.5+ miles a day] or 30 minutes on my stationary bike, and doing strength workouts at home. That, and not putting myself down if I go over my numbers here and there and if my weight goes up 1 lb. instead of down.
  • hannahbelt
    Options
    Hi! I'm semi new, and just saw this post. I am a beachbody coach... I can help you with those cravings, and support. I just had a baby in June and I feel I need all the support I can get! If you're interested email or message me I would love to help you reach and maintain your goals!
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Change your mindset.

You don't need it.
    You want it.

When you want it more than anything else.
    Then you will do it.
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hey!! I'm in the same boat. I'm a mother of 2 and I am trying to lose more weight. I was doing great, then had surgery and got out of control. Now, I'm trying to get back into it, with things like zumba and starting c25k. All I can say is, keep trying, keep going. don't give up and you will make it. Small doable changes. You will get where you want to be!!
  • lorrikooten
    Options
    The one thing that I have learned the most out of all my roller coaster diets is don't cut any food groups out and find something you like to do and stick with it and don't expect overnight results.
  • meagankrkr
    meagankrkr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    We have some things in common! Tracking my food has me thinking about food all day long, which then makes me feel so hungry all the time! I'm on week two and that has started to calm down a bit. I think drinking water constantly throughout the day helps that a lot. Working out is like, the worst thing to me! I absolutely hate it. I did just start the Bikini Body Mommy challenge today and actually FINISHED the first workout! Seeing results is what keeps me going, so when nothing happens for awhile, I get discouraged and quit. I need to learn to be patient and remember that this journey is going to take AT LEAST a year!! But I'm ready! We just have to do it!

Feel free to add me!

• lorrikooten
    Options
    It does get easier after the first week. I am on my second week as well! I get discouraged if I don't see weight loss too. I guess we need to focus on where we will be in a year from now instead of tomorrow. It takes hard work. We can do this together!