Couch to 5k...

Options
In honor of the Nashville marathon this past Saturday, I decided to start the couch to 5k program. The first two days weren't bad...and now I'm thinking I may really be able to run a 5k in 30 minutes! The plan seems easy...yet you get a really sweaty workout!

Replies

• melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about adding this to my workouts as it is finally getting somewhat nice here in MN
  • jsarrington
    Options
    I swore I would never run again after I got out of the Army but I've actually been thinking about doing this program to train for a 5K. No better way to lose weight than running.
  • lkyeomans
    lkyeomans Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 8, 28 min runs. I never thought I would ever be a runner, but I am loving it. I get an awesome workout, fresh air and some time to myself away from the kids for a bit (I'm basically a stay at home mom, only work Sat and Sun nights when kids are sleeping). Good luck with your training program and they are on facebook too...great cheering section there as well.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I've been thinking about this as well. Is it an app for an android phone by chance?
  • lkyeomans
    Options
    I've been thinking about this as well. Is it an app for an android phone by chance?

Not that I'm aware of, but you can download podcasts that will tell you when to run and walk and has two different playlists of songs for each week. I used Running into shape by Carli when I first started. Now I just use a workout app that has a gps and cal burned on it and just listen to my own playlist
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options

Yes! There is one called C25K and there is a $2.99 paid version as well as a free Lite version. I splurged lol and got the paid version, I think the main difference is integrating the music on your smartphone and I can also post to facebook. Other than that, I'm not sure if the notifications where you switch back and forth from run/jog come through on both or not. Someone else may be able to answer that.
  • mamakathy
    mamakathy Posts: 130
    Options

I have the lite version on my android and basically it rings a bell when to switch from walking to running and back again. It doesn't have music.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options

I have the lite version on my android and basically it rings a bell when to switch from walking to running and back again. It doesn't have music.

Thats perfect, I found it so much easier to do with the bell in my ear than trying to watch a clock
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I'm a graduate of C25K and I just finished my first 5K on Sunday! It was the best experience. I haven't gotten down to 10 minute miles yet but I'm getting there. My advice is to not worry about pace so much but to worry about stamina and endurance. Your pace will pick up as you go.
  • andyj1984
    andyj1984 Posts: 76
    Options
    C25K is great, I'm currently on week 4. Some advice however, make sure you have a day of rest in between each workout! You run so much better when you have had a day of rest in between. I often add to the workout after I have completed the podcast, for example yesterday I did an additional 4 minute run at the end, just because I felt like I could! Once you get into week 7 and beyond, you can forget the program, and just go out running by yourself. I think the first few weeks are the essential ones, since it eases you into running and getting out.

Good luck with it, its totally manageable (and fun).
  • hwilliams519
    hwilliams519 Posts: 428
    Options

Thats perfect, I found it so much easier to do with the bell in my ear than trying to watch a clock

That's a good idea. I started out on the treadmill and just watched my time. I want to do it outside some too, but needed something for the time. Would an interval timer do the same thing?
  • lkyeomans
    Options
    That's a good idea. I started out on the treadmill and just watched my time. I want to do it outside some too, but needed something for the time. Would an interval timer do the same thing?

I did notice on the C25k site on facebook that people who start out on the treadmill have difficulty going outside and doing the same run. I would suggest doing some outside runs and only doing the treadmill when you just can't get outside.
  • Celeste79
    Celeste79 Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm on Week 3 following the treadmill program. I plan to complete the 9 weeks of this program and then take it to the streets and because I've heard about the differences between treadmill and street running am anticipating on having to start from Week 4 or 5 when I make the switch.

Good luck and have fun!
  • hwilliams519
    hwilliams519 Posts: 428
    Options
    I actually prefer to run outside. However, I now live in apt complex and the treadmill is more convenient. But don't worry, I will go to the park some days to do it outside too.