Strength training? :(

Options
Hi! I'm Dani. :)

I've always done lots of cardio. I run, ride horses, whitewater raft, hula hoop... elliptical and bikes on days in the gym... but I have no idea how to strength train. The weight room is filled with the only attractive guys from my school (college life, you know?), and I can't bring myself to go in there because I haven't got a clue what to do with any of the equipment and I don't want to make a fool of myself.

So... how does one go about learning to strength train? I'm assuming you can't just walk in and lift things and expect results/not to get hurt.

Side note: I'm gladly admitting where I come up short. Please be nice about it!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Can you take a strength training class?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Start with a beginner program such as Stronglifts 5X5 (my fav), New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength (this one seems complicated).
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Find a beginners program like Stronglifts, or Ice Cream Fitness. Watch form videos about all of the exercies until your eyeballs bleed. Then, start out your chosen program at the very beginning.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength, New Rules and Strong Lifts 5x5 are all great programs! When I started I read a lot of books, articles on internet, watched a lot of you tube videos about form. Start with no weights or light weights until you get form correct and move up. If taking a class or working with a personal trainer is an option, try that.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Anxiety is normal.
    It'll take a lot to get out of the feeling. Take it from me, I wanted to get stronger and it took me over four tries to just enter the weight training part of the gym; just to walk out because of anxiety.

To be honest, no one really cares about you at the gym (the lifters at least. Some PT's will care about you because $$$).

It honestly helps if you have someone there lifting with you (spotting, help to remind you about lifting cues or form).
    It's all about just getting into a routine and then concentrating on form.
    Soon, the feelings about everyone else will go away because you get hyperfocused on yourself.

Do some research. A lot of people on MFP will offer new programs.
    here is a program picker: http://www.rohitnair.net/pp/
    Read! watch videos.

Save up some funds for a personal training session to go over a program you are interested in. I'm not trying to sales pitch here, but a PT that will glance over your program and help you out with the place you need to be, cues you need to know, and so forth will develop your confidence if you decide to lift solo in the weight training gym.

Also, if you are lifting solo- look up videos on ways to bail out.

also, weight training :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    In addition to everything above, if a trainer is an option, give that a shot. THey can get a program going for you and check your form.
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Trust me when I tell you that ANY of those guys in your college gym would like to be asked their opinion on what you should do.

I vote to see if you can work in a strength training class through school.
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

So... how does one go about learning to strength train? I'm assuming you can't just walk in and lift things and expect results/not to get hurt.

I kind of just walked in and starting lifting things and have seen gains, with no injuries.

I have only been lifting for <2 months so I still remember the nervousness of the first day. Before I went I watched forms videos of what I was going to do over and over again. And then my first day I hoped a treadmill because it overlooked the weights and scoped everything out. Then once I saw where everything was I hopped off the treadmill and did my workout.

You just have to go for it. Now I feel comfortable and not out of place.

Good luck!

• AlinaRose17
    AlinaRose17 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hello there- I just posted a primer on the benefits of strength training and am going to be putting together a set of sample plans for beginners to help anyone in your shoes. Just felt a need to share some knowledge and what has worked for me in the past few years since I started! Hopefully won't take me too long, just requires me to sit down and focus for a while which obviously gets challenging around holidays.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Look up a training plan that you think you can handle. Youtube the correct way to perform each workout, so you know how to do it correctly and not get hurt. Let your pride down when you walk into the gym to learn how to do it with correct form. Document your entire workout so when you come back the following week, you know what weight you left off on. Hope this helps
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Gym-schmim, do your strength training at home. Bodyweight exercises, a pullup bar and some dumbells are more than you really need.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    hamoncan wrote: »
    Gym-schmim, do your strength training at home. Bodyweight exercises, a pullup bar and some dumbells are more than you really need.

says someone who clearly has never lifted.

• kaitlynroyale
    kaitlynroyale Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also strongly recommend this website: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/
    because there you can go through exercises by muscle group and pick out which ones you like and they're ranked from beginner to advanced. :) And they show you how to do them as well!
    It's fairly comprehensive! :)
  • kaitlynroyale
    kaitlynroyale Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also I have no idea why the URL posted like that so just yeah bodybuilding.com/exercises/
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    hamoncan wrote: »

lol. I'd be spending about $1200 to buy the dumb bells I'd need to do some of my workout at home. lol.
  • dbmata
    Options
    This is a funny thread.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Read up on Stronglifts and get a few PT sessions. Doing the exercises correctly are so important for your safety and for being able to progress.

Don't be scared of what other people think, either. I am going to go the gym today and I am restarting my programme (Stronglifts) so I'll be lifting and empty bar for all of my exercises. I'm sure that'll look 'whimpy' but I don't care. I'd rather do it the right way and be safe.

Good luck!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Hell, I'm going to be deadlifting all of 135# and doing my best to look hardcore.

It takes all types, just start at the beginning, pick a program, and just work that program.
  • just_another_day
    just_another_day Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Even after all the videos and research, if you're still worried about looking foolish, go to the gym when it's pretty empty (maybe early morning for a college gym?). You'll have access to all the equipment and time to get a feel for the weights and how much you can lift for each exercise. Doing that just once will make you so much more comfortable and confident. Pretty soon you will walking into the weightroom like you own it.