Weigh your food before or after it's cooked?

Options
Veggies
Meat
Anything..

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Unless otherwise stated on the label, before it is cooked. After it is cooked, the weight will depend on what it is cooked with, how much water it absorbed, how well done it is, etc.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Always before it is cooked.
  • herbballi
    Options
    I weigh it after its cooked. I always thought that was the best way, that way you know for sure how much you are eating.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine before cooking. If you weigh after cooking then you just have to careful that you're using appropriate entries in the database ( ie don't use a grilled entry if you boiled it, etc ).
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    herbballi wrote: »
    I weigh it after its cooked. I always thought that was the best way, that way you know for sure how much you are eating.

Except the values on the package are for uncooked weight, but for pasta you can roughly double the weight for cooked.
  • So on the database... 100grams of chicken is approx 106 calories. Is this cooked or uncooked? I pre-cook my meals.
  • billisbig
    billisbig Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always assumed if i bought the chicken raw its calorie count was for its raw not cooked weight.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If the database entry you choose just says chicken, then it is uncooked.

If it says "grilled" then it is grilled, if it says "rotisserie" then it is rotisserie chicken...
  • disgettingfit
    Options
    On MFP you can find it in every way you like, I think. If you want to weigh chicken after grilling it, look for 'grilled chicken'. Same goes for veggies (e.g. 'raw' 'steamed' or 'boiled'). Personally I always weigh everything raw, and then I just make sure I use an MFP version that is also raw. :) Hope that helps.
  • Also...

If I want to pan fry some kale, but lets say I only use a teaspoon of butter and just the kale. I just have to document how much kale I ate and the butter.. correct? The process of actually frying it makes no difference. Right?
  • disgettingfit
    Options
    Nope, just add the butter and the kale :) I don't think it changes.