Jazzing Up My Workout Routine (Suggestions Please!)

Options
2»

Replies

• DaintyMonster
    Options
    @jacksonpt, that would be amazing. I'm always hungry and tired. I'm not sure what to add. I guess I could give you an idea of what I eat in a day:

Breakfast:
    1 packet high-fiber OR low-sugar oatmeal
    1 8oz glass of grapefruit juice
    OR
    2 pieces of nature's own honey light bread
    1 dannon light n' fit greek yogurt

Lunch
    cucumer/tomato/olive salad (no dressing)
    1 chicken breast
    1 apple

Dinner
    1 extra lean ground turkey patty
    2 pieces of nature's own light bread
    1 small banana
    1 small plum
    OR
    1 extra lean ground turkey patty
    2 cups of steamed cauliflower
    1 small plum or banana

Except on Fridays and Sundays (obviously) because I don't eat meat on Fridays, I'll replace the meal items with light n' fit greek yogurt or a double portion of steamed veggies (carrots, zucchini, and yellow squash).
    I've stuck with this for a while now and like I said I'm maintaining, but at a stand still otherwise.
  • DaintyMonster
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    You went to a dietitian for a reason, right? Trust them until the you have sufficient results telling you not to.

No no, I never went to a dietitian or nutritionist. I had a friend tell me I should add more protein when I explained what was going on. He does weight lifting and what not. More protein sounds like a plan, I just don't want to do it with bars or protein powder. I want to get it naturally from foods. (He suggested protein bars)
  • DaintyMonster
    Options
    Log a couple of your Sundays and see what it comes out to.
    I will do that.

• kaitlynroyale
    kaitlynroyale Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all the comments but I do want to say this:

900-1000 calories is dangerously low. That's less than what the 16 month old that I take care of requires for daily intake. A small child needs 1200-1300 daily.

I am not a nutritionist or certified in anything about fitness nutrition but my personal recommendation is to up your calories.

When I tried doing a diet at 1200 calories daily I was constantly hungry and without energy and without weightloss. But then I upped it to 1800 or so daily and I see waaay more results and way faster weight loss. It seems counterintuitive but since you are weight training and doing cardio, you may see faster results with more calories.

I would also recommend doing less 60 minute sessions of cardio and more 20-30 minute sessions of HIIT. I think you mentioned Insanity - Insanity is hard but it's totally adaptable if you aren't astounding at first (no one is) but you can take as many breaks as you need and you just gradually get better. But with Insanity you are putting in haaaard work so you definitely have to up your calories otherwise you are putting yourself in harm's way.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'd say enter your info in MFP and set your goal for "lose 1 lb. a week". Eat back at least half your exercise calories. Aim for 1g protein per lb. of lean bodyweight, at a minimum. And start doing some strength/resistance training, whether weightlifting or bodyweight exercises. Have you thought about P90X? T25 also includes bodyweight and resistance band exercises.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    BTW, is that a nightelf paladin or warrior? :P

Warrior! ;) AKA, Meat Shield. However, my meat shield is becoming thinner. :p And, I usually eat all of my exercise calories back or more...

19507081.png
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Some ideas for changing up your routine:

I get bored on the elliptical and I do a circuit training type of routine to change up the monotony. For example, I will do 1 mile or 15 minutes on the machine then box for two minutes (I have fingerless gloves that I wear while on the elliptical to keep my heart rate up instead of stopping to put on gloves and I have a punching bag), then 25 kettlebell swings with a 15 pound weight, then 15 kettlebell rows on one side, 25 kettlebell swings, 15 kettlebell rows with the other arm, and then 10 pushups. I hop back on the elliptical and complete this cycle about 3 times giving me an hour long workout. Or, you can create your own circuit with the materials that you have on hand. Plus, kettlebell work can create a stronger core and better looking abs.

Try dancing DVD's like Zumba or bellydance to change up the pace. I like to bellydance on occasion and shimmy with my hip scarf on because it is fun and empowering. Have you thought about yoga or pilates for toning for your abs? Stability ball training can be helpful in ab training.

Try cutting some cardio workouts out and add strength training instead to start toning more. Check out Oxygen Fitness magazine or their website for some weightlifting routines that you can do at home.

Biking may be another option for changing up the pace and checking out the scenery.

If you belong to a gym, do they offer a pool? Maybe you can try swimming a day or two a week to help tone your arms.

On pretty days, I like to go outside and jump rope on my porch (ceilings in the house are not high enough to swing a rope). I then add in some pushups, squats, lunges, wall pushups to create a circuit and complete for 20-30 minutes depending on how I feel.

Hope this helps!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    @esjones12, thanks for your post. I really enjoyed running when I was doing that but again, I'd just feel so tired afterwards that I basically couldn't do anything else. I probably am under eating Monday-Saturday. Insanity looks like a good cardio workout, but I'm questioning if I could even complete it. The 60 minutes on the elliptical is torture because it's just boring and the Total Body Burn seems a bit too easy now. (I'm not dead tired after finishing the DVD and it's actually kind of fun). By PT sessions, do you mean like boot camp style training? I think that could be fun, but wonder where they would offer that sort of thing?

PT = personal training. But yes I also do boot camp style training. Mainly because I do Spartan Races, but also because it is fun and involves different movements that involve some thinking.
  • DaintyMonster
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies guys. Based on what the majority of you said I either need to add more to my diet or ease up on my exercise. I decided to change up my exercise routine and I just ordered T25 paired with PiYo. PiYo for the stretching and flexibility and T25 for the actual workout. I also plan to start running again. I also took a few days off and found that I didn't gain anything so, I think I just needed a small break. Thanks again guys!
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I watched an interesting YouTube clip by Jill Coleman. She gave advice on weight loss. I found it interesting that research now suggests its more effective to do smaller high intensity workouts. Jill says running, aerobics, and swimming are good workouts but it's the 10 minute exercises that help shed more pounds. For example, if you choose a 10-minute workout, you might go hard and fast for a couple of minutes...then slow your pace..then ramp it back up.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    cruzmom123 wrote: »
    I watched an interesting YouTube clip by Jill Coleman. She gave advice on weight loss.

And I imagine that was a sales pitch?

Short, high intensity sessions have some application in improving capacity and maximal outcomes, but as they're short they don't actually consume a significant amount of energy.

If you want to lose weight, manage your calorie deficit, if you want to improve fitness and body composition then eat at a deficit, alongside a combination of CV work and resistance work.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For close to 7 months I've been doing basically the same workout routine.

Notwithstanding all of the debate about your diet, you need to continue to streatch yourself in any programme. That said, I recognise that if you're not eating enough you feel underfuelled and underperform in the training.

If you enjoy running, and you want to do it, then use it as the focus of your plan, and complement it with some resistance work. But you'll need to look at increasing your distance to get the most from it. Work yourself up to 6 miles, and then you can start working on speed.

I'd also suggest racing as a benchmarking exercise.

That said, you need to sort out your fuelling before you can really exploit it.

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    OP-you are very stubborn/scared. Every poster is telling you you are undereating. Your body is telling you you are undereating. Yet you reject any change because it might make things worse. If changing your diet doesn't work for you, you can change back. No one is advising irreversible surgery.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I can't prescribe, but what you're describing sounds like an ED. You should check with a doctor. All this advice is great, but if you sabotage yourself, you'll get sick.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    First of all: eat more. As for changing up your workouts, have you tried power lifiting? If you are at school, there should be a gym there you can use. As for workout dvds, you don't have to buy anything right away. I borrow dvds from my public library all the time. Some good ones I've found are from The Firm, Denise Austin, Tracy Anderson, and then I have my own Jillian Michaels (30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30). Try out several to see what you like.