When you started running..

Options
Tell me your experience, what you noticed when you progressed, how many miles can you run now?

I'm trying to get into jogging I'll say, not ready for sprint all out runs. I can run 2 minutes without stopping. C25K is NOT easy as it looks. I already did my first day, kinda modified things a little with timing..2 min run, 2 min walk..kept that for 30 minutes. It's a tough process, hope my endurance goes up in time. I have walked 2 5ks..I have one in October coming up, and would love to run the whole thing without walks.

Replies

• daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    When I started really running - about 6 months ago I could only do about 15 minutes.

Now I've done 2 5Ks, 10K (running) and a 10K Hike/Run.

I have knee pain and have had to slow down and adjust a few things (based on my physical therapists suggestions) but running has definitely gotten easier and I've gotten faster!
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    At Christmas I struggled to do a mile but in the last week I've been doing 6 mile runs so I'd say that once you start it comes on pretty quickly.

I have no idea whether this is normal but once I can run a route without stopping, I add a bit more on. That way I build up the distance gradually.
  • elephantmeg
    elephantmeg Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    have you tried the couch to 5K program-it really works!
  • amjmomma
    amjmomma Posts: 41
    Options
    It was hard at first, but every little bit of progress that you make you need to consider a major victory! 2 minutes of running is better than none! You will be amazed at how quickly you progress! What helped me was being in races. There's something so cool about crossing that finish line and knowing that you did your best! You will do great, I know it!!
  • Emmy_Ann
    Emmy_Ann Posts: 60
    Options
    I've actually "started" jogging twice.. I was in school and had a really heavy course load last fall so I stopped, but I've picked it up again cause I've always wanted to do a marathon and I have a few smaller races coming up soon. I usually do a 2 minute run/1 minute walk for 2 miles, and then after a couple of runs move it up to 2.5 miles. I keep doing that till I get to 3 and then I follow a half marathon schedule they have on http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html I've used that training schedule before and I was able to get up to 6 miles before I had to quit, and I found it really effective. The best thing that I can tell you is try to keep your run days down to 3-4. It gives your body time to rest and you won't wear yourself out. Good luck!! You can totally do it. When I first started jogging I couldn't even make it a half lap (course I used to smoke) before I had to stop. Now I feel fantastic after a run, I love the feeling!!

* edit Forgot to mention. I use the 2 minute run/ 1 minute walk until I'm able to run 3 miles without stopping. I try 1x a week to do my entire run w/o stopping..
  • aaronbyard
    aaronbyard Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm doing a program similar to C25K. It's definitely a good program. I'm up to the point where I'm running 15 mins and walking 1 min x2 and then a shorter third set, though I usually run a bit longer. 5 weeks ago I could barely make it through that point in the routine, and now I can do more than the routine specifies. If you follow the program your endurance will get better. It's actually pretty amazing how quickly you progress. October is plenty of time. You shouldn't have a problem if you stick with it.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I started running at the end of August using c25k. I hated it! every part of the program was a challenge to me. I wanted to like running so bad but it was just soooo hard. ugh! Thankfully i stuck it out and once i was able to run 3miles consistently i really started to like running. I looooove running now and i just ran my first half marathon yesterday! It was so amazing and so worth all the training that went into it. Stick it out it will get better! You can do this!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I started running just about a year ago and was lucky to do a couple minutes. I wish I did the C25K as I think it would have made the process easier for me. I recently did the C210K and LOVED it. I just completed my first half marathon. The biggest benefit...confidence! I feel like I can do just about anything and am happy to give it a try. Keep up the good work!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    have you tried the couch to 5K program-it really works!

Yeah, I'm doing 2 min runs..2 min walks..so its similar. :smile:
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hey.
    I began running about 8 months ago.
    Since then I've run 3 5ks and one 10k. I even came in first in my age group in the last 5k. Was a small race, but I'll take it!
    (Though I don't particularly enjoy running - I find it very boring - I LOVE the way running makes me feel. And race day is an incredible feeling)
    In the beginning, though I was in shape,the running was difficult.
    One thing I would say though, is monitor your pace carefully.
    Running too fast too soon can really fatigue you and deter you from running more.

Good Luck!
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I started the Couch to 5k program with a friend a year and a half ago. We signed up for a 5k for incentive when we started the program even though we were a long way from being able to do it yet. We stuck with it, following the program as closely as possible. We ran the 5k before we actually completed the program (we were slow but finished). If you try your best to follow the program, you will be running a 5k in no time. You can repeat weeks if you need to before moving on. While I still do not consider myself some great runner by any means, yesterday I did a 45-minute run and it felt great. Best of luck to you!!!! I know signing up for that 5k was a great incentive for us to keep training and following the program. And, yes, it seemed very hard at first. I remember struggling to run 2 minutes!
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    6 months ago I couldn't even run an errand.....now I run for 5 or 6 miles 3 or 4 times a week. Am just starting to mix it up a bit by doing long slow runs and short fast sprints (well as near to sprints as I can get!). I am amazed how quickly things improve. C25k is a really good way in.....i didn't follow that but did a very similar training plan. Stick with it....im sure you'll be amazed too :bigsmile:
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I started walking until 8 miles was quite easy, then began short spells of jogging whilst walking. After that I started a walk-jog-walk-run routine round a 3.5 mile circuit (about 100 metres each). I started the C25K programme, but was already into a routine of my own so by week four I felt good in the gym one evening, after doing an 8-mile walk and I just did the 5K. Sweated buckets, but it gave me real confidence. I bought a Polar FT4 HR monitor to track my heart as I'm 49 and don't want to redline and blow a gasket. The FT4 gives me the confidence to jog at the right pace within my HR limit and I can now do up to about ten miles. It's not something to rush, and the old saying don't try and run before you can walk is very true... Trying to go too fast/far too soon will be demoralising and causes many to give up...

regards, David
  • AmyKessler
    AmyKessler Posts: 15
    Options
    I started running a few years ago. I couldn't run longer than about 30 seconds at a time without walking for a couple of minutes afterward. I did my first 5k and couldn't run the whole thing. I had to walk a little.

Fast forward to now. I have 2 full marathons, several half marathons, and lots of 5k and 10ks. I did a half marathon last Halloween and the only time I wasn't running was when I was drinking water at the aid stations. I'm at the point now where I can run 6 miles during my workout with no problem. Easy 6 miles is an awesome feeling.

It takes hard work, but keep it up!! It's so worth it. Once you get past the first few minutes, you get into 'the zone' and it feels so good.
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I will agree that the C25K is not as easy as it seems. I have been "stuck" on week 7 for weeks now. However, I am amazed at my increased endurance levels and how far I can push myself since starting the program. Initially running a 5k seemed like an impossible goal.

Yesterday at the gym my intention was to restart week 5 but once I started running I just kept on going. I managed to finish a 5k on the treadmill (very slow speed) in 45 minutes....that is a huge accomplishment for this fat girl (who hates exercise).

I do still have problems with running (i.e. my left foot goes numb) but I figure if I just keep at it I will be able to improve both time and distance.

I am not quite sold on doing a 5k (as I haven't really attempted to run outside) but who knows!! I am still not sure I even like running, but I really want to lose weight and feel that it is an important part of my workout routine. Keep it up and good luck!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be able to do a 5k ever since I saw my niece and brother doing them. They're both athletic, strong and fit. I tried jogging on my own a few times... I'd try walking one block, jogging the next, walking, jogging, etc. Sometimes I'd try jogging around the park by my house, which is about 1/3 of a mile. The most I could do was make it halfway around before I'd have to stop and take a breather.

I started C25K in late December. It wasn't easy, but it was doable. :smile: I was able to slowly jog 5k on a treadmill in late February, and did my first race on March 20. That was a 4.5 miler, and I jogged and walked. My first 5k was a week later, and I was thrilled to jog the whole thing, and finish in under 30 minutes. I've done two more 5k since then, both right around 28 minutes, and finished a 5 mile race yesterday in 45:17! Just seven seconds behind my 25 year old niece and about 30 seconds ahead of my brother. :smile:

I'm 38 years old, 39 in a few weeks, and I've never been a runner. Ever.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When I started I wasn't able to completely 30 seconds.

For me it depends on my speed:
    If I am running at a 7.0 mph I can only go 30 seconds.
    6.5-a minute if I push.
    5.0-5.5 I can go up to 5 minutes but i get bored. :laugh:
    If I stay between 4.5-5.0 I can go longer, and have done the 20 minute run in the C25K program once.

I need to get back into it....
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    Options
    @ about 248 lbs I decided I want to be a Jogger (lol, I wish I could say runner). So i started C25k in about february, a month after I began to "diet". A few weeks ago I completed c25k. Now, I jog about 3 miles 3 times a week. I remember when I first started I was estatic at being able to jog 60 sec straight. lol. Now I jog about 30 min without stopping. When I got to the 20 min run, someone suggested that I play lil games with myself and it will keep me going. I took that advice, and I still do it today, and it helps me out a bunch. Remember that running/jogging is about 90% mental. Good luck, you can do it!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    When I started running... I dropped two of the hubcaps, so I threw the other to at him. Which allowed me to shift the stereo from my month to my hand. That really helped my speed. The wires were cutting my chin. I did pretty good hurdling the first two chain link fences, but dang! He could run for a big guy! If it weren't for that stupid helicopter, I probly wouldn't have tripped over the kiddy pool...
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you are doing. It will get easier, and when you think you can't run anymore...push yourself. You'd be amazed at what you are capable of when you say I CAN do this! Best of luck you