Can't seem to lose as quick as I hoped

Options
Hi all.. I am really looking for some advice please. I know I'm not eating masses but I don't feel like I am starving myself either. In fact, I am eating less that I usually do but its really lightened my mood and I'm feeling really energised with less food to process... that all said and done, I feel like my body has reached a level playing field and last weigh in I weight up not down.. can you see what I might be doing wrong please? thanks a lot.. xx

Replies

• cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you want someone to check your diary you have to make it public under settings. If you don't want that we need more information: height, weight, goal weight, age, calorie goal, how much you are trying to lose a week, if you weigh your food on a digital scale.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You are saying you had one week with no movement on the scale? If so, that could mean ANYTHING. Hormonal fluctuations, you had more sodium than usual yesterday, you didn't have a good bowel movement this morning, the arthritis is flairing up and causing inflamation....
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    hi.. I've changed settings now.. I didn't realise they couldn't be looked at before. I am trying to lose 2lbs a week.. so should be 10lbs down in 5 weeks but seem to be losing more like 1lb per week instead. I am not weighing food at the moment.. I don't know should I be weighing pasta cooked or dried (for example)? I have reduced my portion sizes so I think I should have lost more by now. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week is going to be too aggressive a goal for you if you only have 10 pounds to lose. Set it to 1/2 a pound per week, and definitely invest in a food scale so you can log accurately.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Unless otherwise stated on the package, all food weights for serving size are as packaged. That means dry pasta, uncooked meats, etc.

A lot of people are surprised when they see what a serving size really is. As a matter of fact, there is a thread to that effect around here somewhere.
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Because of not having a food scale, you probably are eating more than you think. 1200 seems rather severe to me, but that depends on your height, starting weight, etc. I'm 45 years old, 5' 7", and I eat 1600 to lose a pound a week. I also use a food scale. Read the guide to get you started on your path to sexypants at the top of this forum. What you eat is less important than being within your calorie goal for weightloss. Good Luck!
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    You should be weighing and measuring all of your food. And, I agree that 2lbs per week seems very aggressive.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Which is why people are suggesting .5lb is more realistic.

I see plenty of days where you eat below 1000 calories, which is aggressive if not unhealthy , except as you arent weighing, then you could easily be eating more than you think. Its important you are at a deficit and useful to know how big it is. Its common that people who dont weigh dont know and underestimate the amount they are eating.Closer you get to target then the harder it becomes.

I also dont see much exercise, which although not required it can complement the weight loss. Walking is a great start and it all helps.
  • justaboat
    justaboat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Do you count calories? Make sure you're not getting more than you need.
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm counting most of my calories by scanning the food and guessing what is 100g say.. I was shocked the other day how little 75g of rice is.. I've been eating twice that :blush: .. I think I am getting better at counting.. our evening meal needs to get split three ways because I cook for the whole family so find it tricky counting that but I have definitely reduced down my food and calorie intake.. I was having a dinner-like lunch, followed by toast or junk after work followed by a big meal and brownies and ice-cream. I'm not have a lot of this now.. something has to give at some point ay..x
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    With only 10lbs to lose it is utterly unrealistic to expect a 2lbs a week loss...
  • OrangeBabelfish
    OrangeBabelfish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Don't guess. Measure. It is definitely that - 10lbs only to lose and 2lbs a week is not a realistic or long term plan. If you are cooking, enter all ingredients into a recipe and split it within the amount of people eating it.

Food scales is where it's at. Definitely when you are starting, you need to be accurate. My boyfriend was AMAZED when I weighed out my cereal portion of 40g. It is not much, he'd happily have eaten 3x that in a bowl. BOOM - 300cals extra. It is so easily done, especially on a low limit. Once you have a better gauge of what actual portions and weight look like, the odd time you eyeball it isn't going to be such an issue. But as a new starter, you have to weigh everything and learn the portions/calories. There's no shortcut!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You can't walk 5 miles into the woods and expect to get out in one. What's the rush? Losing 2 pounds a week with only 10 to go is way too aggressive.
  • Mrs_Brigham
    Mrs_Brigham Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You can't walk 5 miles into the woods and expect to get out in one.
    That is a fantastic analogy. :smiley: