I need help to fix my life.

Options
Well, that title was a bit dramatic. But I do have a serious lack of balance in my life and I've never been able to figure out quite what makes it right.

I work in an office, 8am-4:30pm 5 days a week. I prefer going to the gym in the morning so I get up quite early anyway and I pretty much always go to bed early, so sleeps not really my issue.

I've seen a lot of workout plans that include having a leg day, arm day, stomach day, bum day, foot day, face day etc etc. but when I work out I've always preferred to do a full body workout day, rest day, full body, rest day etc. Is that a good plan? Does anyone else do it that way or is it best to focus on one part of the body each session?

Food is also a major issue for me too. I don't eat breakfasts. No idea why, but I cannot stomach food in the morning before 10am (no I'm not pregnant, I haven't eaten breakfast since I was a teenager). Because of this, I've started drinking protein shakes instead and having them after a workout. Again I ask, is this a good way of doing things or will it just leave me on a plateau?

I also drink around 4 cups of coffee a day (due to being in a desk job) is this causing a set back for me?

Any advise would be appreciated, or even just telling me about how you've lost weight, especially if you work in a boring job like I do!

Replies

• MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Before I was activated (military ) I have a desk job, so I know the feeling. We have an expresso machine at work...and tell you what...I have waaayyyy too much caffeine in my system. I found that healthy eating and protein shakes work better for my motivation than caffeine. I don't know why but it does.

For your workout, everyone is different and people have different preferences. I like to alternate between upper body and lower body days and throw some cardio in the mix.

I don't like eating breakfast either, but I found that I need to at least have a protein shake with my multivitamins so that I have the energy to complete the full workout. If I don't, I get all sluggish and demotivated. Plus, having a little something in your stomach helps kickstart your metabolism. If I have a really hard workout, I take half a protein shake for muscle recovery purposes and because my body is famished.

This works for me, but everyone is different.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've lost weight consistently, got fitter and stronger over the last 6 months

I have a desk job (but am up at 6), I drink possibly more coffee, eat when I'm hungry .. which isn't till about 2 hours after I've woken up - I do try to drink at least a 2 litre bottle of carbonated mineral water daily (I like it better sparkling :smile:)

Exercise I do a Pilates class Monday, gym with trainer Weds and gym alone Friday (my gym workouts involve 20 mins cardio, and full body weights, squats, lunges, TRX, abdo, more squats and lunges, press-ups etc) - generally last 60 - 90 minutes and I use an HRM to monitor my effort) - I try to up my movement in between and use a fitbit to nudge me into walking more

I try to eat protein within 30 mins of a workout

I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing - so long as you're feeling good on it and acheiving your goals
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you dont have to eat breakfast as long as you hit your cals/macros for the day... i have a desk job but its made no difference to my weight loss.
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Well this is awkward. You just summed up my exact routine.

Well I don't know what to tell you other than this routine has been working for me for a year now. Lost 20 pounds, gained some when I quit smoking, now loosing again.

I would tell you to cut back on coffee but I drink about 4 cups myself aswell ...

To be honest I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with your routine. weight loss is about calorie intake/expenditure not timing.

And full body programs are actually way better for beginners than 6-day-a-week ones. Once you get into a steady routine of hitting the gym consistently 3 times a week for 5-6 months you should consider upgrading but for now I'd say its just perfect.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Especially as a beginner, the full body lifting is much better. I would suggest doing a specific programme such as Stronglifts. Check out the exercise forum and look at the link on "So you want to start weight lifting" for more advice.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I personally don't focus on a specific body part per session. I go to crossfit sessions about 4-5 days a week. We focus on different lifts everyday and it has been working well so far for me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The only requirement for weight loss is the caloric deficit. Not eating breakfast is fine, I never eat until 10ish and I work out at 5 a.m. This is what works for me, so this is what I do.
    For the first three months exercising I did full body daily, five days a week, then resting two. I did this until my body showed me I needed to mix it up and my lifting got more progressive. Again, do what works for you.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    My routine is very similar to yours. I've lost a ton of weight due to a caloric deficit.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • ForBaacon
    ForBaacon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose weight and tone up. Don't want to be amazingly muscly, just toned up. The jiggles gotten boring!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    what is toned up?