Why am i suddenly hungry all the time?

Options
2»

Replies

• justaboat
    justaboat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    try to eat more protein (seafood, white meat, yoghurt, and eggs are good lower-cal sources)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You need more protein and good fats in your diet.

Peanut butter, nuts, greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, fish/chicken, eggs, avocado, olive oil etc - I think you probably need to eat a bit more.

• kiwigirl007
    kiwigirl007 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat refined sugars, I get monstrous cravings. I know it's tough, but try cutting those out for 2-3 days, and see if afterward you're more satisfied with other foods. ;)
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary, I'd say definitely try to increase protein and fats, which can aid in increased satiety. I used to pack away 14 Weet-bix biscuits and half a litre of milk, and be ravenous 2 hours later. I realised that my fat intake was unintentionally low, while my carb count was off the hook. Once I bumped my fat intake up, my constant hunger pangs went away. Try eating avocados, peanut butter, egg whites (if you're concerned solely about calories), et cetera. I also like eating chicken with its skin for my daily protein and fat intake. Fat isn't the devil. Moderation of different food groups should help. Good luck, OP! :)
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Looks like pretty much your entire diet is carbs except for some evening dinners.
    I am not suggesting low carb (even though I am on it) but try reducing carbs by a bit and putting in more proteins and fats. Also try drinking more water.
    For example breakfast swap with bacon and eggs, piece of toast, coffee
    Snack maybe replace raisins with nuts
    Lunch can be fine, but maybe add in some protein.
    Dinner make sure you always have protein.

Just some examples.

• Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    OP: you need more fat and more protein as a percentage of your diet. do that, you won't be as hungry - guaranteed.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Based on your diary: I'd echo the earlier comment. More fat, more protein, fewer carbs.

Agreed. Try having egg for breakfast in the week too. Poached egg doesn't take long, or an omelette. I often have egg with ham or bacon and some tinned tomatoes, especially as I don't like too many carbs.

Nuts are good for snacks, or cottage cheese, or mini babybel lights. I also like apple with peanut butter.

Maybe have chicken soup for lunch, or tuna and salad, although the soup does sound nice.

Your dinners sound good.

Low calorie mousse probably isn't that filling, so maybe find something else for pudding. Kit kats and Jaffa cakes probably aren't that filling either.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate the power of shark week. I can get the crazy hungries, and have my weight refuse to budge for a week, only to wake up with my period, and pee out 2.5 lbs. Overall it doesn't affect my weight loss.

I've been having 2 tbs of chia seeds with my morning cereal, and a scoop of chocolate whey isolate with greek yogurt as a snack, and that has helped a lot with my hunger (maybe because it pushed me into ketosis, without having to go low carb). My nutritionist suggested getting .8 g of protein per kilo of body weight per day. Thats about 15 grams more than MFP was recommending, and 30 grams more than I was eating.

I also find that regular exercise helps to keep the hunger demons at bay. Go for a walk, dance in your living room, do some yoga or calisthenics to change what you are focused on.

Sometimes you just have to live with the hunger, especially if you've just had a cheat day, or a famiy celebration, while your body gets back to the program. Remind yourself that your next meal is in a couple of hours, and you just have to wait that long. If you are going to snack, try to wait 15 minutes first. Know that the hunger is temporary, and you will be back on track soon.

If you break down and snack, try for low calorie (soup, veggies), or very small portions of highly filling (nuts, trail mix, deli meats).

Everybody's been there, and you can get through this. Good luck :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    cardbucfan wrote: »
    I'd also suggest upping your protein a bit. Your food looks good from a calorie standpoint but kinda light on protein and good fats.

That really helped me because protein and good fats causes us to feel less hungry better than carbs.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Change of medicine?
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's happening to me as well, and I am blaming the winters! There is nothing else that has changed in my case.
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    As you have dropped the caffeine and soda's you have dropped a lot of 'liquid energy'. If you are not getting enough sleep and used to fuel up on caffeine and soda's during the day to keep you going being hungry all the time might be your body saying its struggling to keep you awake and fresh and eating will help.

When i didnt get enough sleep ive noticed my body is asking me for quick fuel like sugary treats, easy to digest carbs when all i need is a sleep :smiley:
    Same happens when i dont drink enough btw

Also making sure you eat enough protein and fats helps as that takes your body longer to digest and therefor keeps you going for longer then carbs
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Cilenia wrote: »
    As you have dropped the caffeine and soda's you have dropped a lot of 'liquid energy'. If you are not getting enough sleep and used to fuel up on caffeine and soda's during the day to keep you going being hungry all the time might be your body saying its struggling to keep you awake and fresh and eating will help.

When i didnt get enough sleep ive noticed my body is asking me for quick fuel like sugary treats, easy to digest carbs when all i need is a sleep :smiley:
    Same happens when i dont drink enough btw

Also making sure you eat enough protein and fats helps as that takes your body longer to digest and therefor keeps you going for longer then carbs

I've got 3 young children, one is 6 months, so I never get enough sleep, but I don't reach for sugary snacks. I get lots of protein which definitely helps. Caffeine also helps....I couldn't give up coffee right now :). So I think you may have a point with the coffee and soda thing.