Weight loss Plateau. help!!!!

Options
Ok maybe I'm jumping the gun here as I have been losing about 3lbs a week. But the last 2 weeks I've lost less than 1lb.
I started at 370 and am now down to
I'm taking in 2000 calories but I am very lethargic and barely move due to mental health issues.
But I've always gone on the assumption that you take your goal weight and add a 0 to it. So if I want to weigh 200lbs I need to take in 2000 calories.
I've logg on for over 200 straight days and lost 63 lbs in the 200 days.
I figured the weight loss would slow down dramatically as I got closer to my goal but I'm still 106lbs away.
I know people are going to say excersize but I have extreme depression and anxiety of having a heart attack when I exert myself.
Should I have hit the platou so soon?
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Would walking give you a heart attack??

Anyway, ignore the scale. Since you're in a calorie deficit, you're burning body fat, even if the scale doesn't move due to fluid retention or whatever.

If you're lethargic from a lack of calories, eat more.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    OP.............i was in a plateau since the first of the year......then I started losing tis summer. I talked to a trainer, he said, to increase intensity of weights and dont spend time doing the same old routine daily.

I didnt belive him, kept up the same routine for 6 months, lost nada, then listened to him........I ve lost 50 lbs since August.........

Also, Im religious on watching what I eat and LOG everything.....except today, Im trying to not go more than 2500 cals today, but again, its Thanksgiving.....I also busted my asp yesterday at the gym and had 1200 extra cals.......

Increasing the weights and less cardio for me help me.again, Im male 59 and it may not work for everyone, but it did for me............best wishes
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    hey OP......sorry about your mental illness.........again, I was nervous as well, I started at 360, and got down to 199, then went up.......Im at 246 and hoping to be 215 by March
    I know about anxiety.......start slow on an eliptical......force yourself, you need to get your heart rate going

I am now getting my target rate up to 90 percent of my target zone .........200 - 60 = 160

90 percnt is 144, 80 percent is 128, etc

Just start out slow...even pick up a few free weights and try to do some work out

If you want, friend me, I can help.......I am at 246 down from 360 and am going to stop at 210, so I have only 36 more lbs to go...........Im here for you if you want...........Lloyd
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear, and if you're still losing you're not in a plateau (especially not after just two weeks). Congratulations on your loss so far. Wait it out, and if you don't lose after another couple weeks then there's probably something wrong with your logging.

As for the exercise, are you speaking with a professional about your depression? They can help you determine what's safe...even just walking around the block is a good start.
  • ItsRJTV
    ItsRJTV Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I'd add you as friends but I don know how. Would gladly accept any of you.
    I hope this motivates me to start excersizing.
    I'm going through a rough time at the moment. Family bull. Losing weight is the only thing keeping me going besides my kids.
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Congrats and I wish you success!
    I can understand being afraid of exertion. I have a heart rate monitor wristwatch and I have used it for running and started to use it for the gym too.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wow, you've done awesome. A plateau is 8-10 weeks, you're still losing, so relax, you're doing great. It will come. Weight training is a really good idea to help retain muscle mass while you're losing.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    But if you're still losing weight, albeit it a smaller amount then you can't say you're on a plateau. The body does get used to less calories and it does take changing things around or moving a little more sometimes just to see the losses happening again.
    Walking is always good and not strenuous - also a great way to clear your head and help you de-stress.....every little helps is my motto when it comes to exercise :)
  • IrZeo
    IrZeo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding rude, I think you're more likely to have a heart attack from no exercise at all? the first three weeks of moving will seem difficult, but I promise you, after that you will literally feel the benefit and you'll feel your fitness level improving straight away.

I started out at 452lbs.. working out at first was hard, and I too thought I may put too much pressure on my heart, but honestly.. I'm almost 50lbs down since August and I don't regret a single thing - and experiencing the feeling of recognizing my over-all health and fitness improving due to eating right and exercising has been incredible. No lie.

Start light, work up at your own pace! :)
  • JaneECS
    JaneECS Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey hon, I know its hard when the mental illness demons are doing their thing, but do try and exercise even if it is just a walk round the block - it will help with the weight thing and it is proved that even a little bit of exercise releases those lovely endorphins that makes us feel better. I have worked for year with people with mental health issues, particularly depression, and all who have tried it say it helps, some a lot, some a little, but it helps.
    Good luck!