Is Friday after Thanksgiving holiday a bad time to go to a gym/fitness center?

Options
Hi guys - so I have a day off on Friday, and I really wanted to try a local fitness center in my neighbourhood. I've been wanting to go for a long time, my schedule just didn't really allow it (ballet classes, etc.). So, do you find that gyms and fitness centers are crazy busy the day after the Thanksgiving holiday, like they are after New Years?
Any experience and tips welcome :) Thank you!!

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Probably not as every is doing Black Friday shopping
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Naw, no resolutionists in the gym, like you would see at New Years.

In fact, I expect that Friday/Sat/Sun it should be dead empty except for the regulars. I look forward to it, the last couple weeks have been full of resolutionists.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Nah its a nice day. I go earlier if I have the day of bit iys usually quiet on Fridays anyway.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you live somewhere where "neighbourhood" is the usual spelling, I don't think it will be a problem. :smiley:

ETA: and if you're an expat from the UK or a Commonwealth country living in the US, happy Thanksgiving!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'm going to the gym tomorrow and I'm not going to worry whether it is crowded or not.
  • dancingwaif
    Options
    Thank you everyone; now I know where I will be tomorrow!
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    If you live somewhere where "neighbourhood" is the usual spelling, I don't think it will be a problem. :smiley:

ETA: and if you're an expat from the UK or a Commonwealth country living in the US, happy Thanksgiving!

haha, good catch! I'm not originally from the US but not from a Commonwealth country either, just grew up with British reading materials. Thank you and happy Thanksgiving to you also!

• abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Eh, we're going as soon as our gym opens and I figure most people will still be in a food coma or out shopping at 7 am. So probably the earlier the better, but it probably won't be a huge issue no matter what time of day.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    It will be crowded, but not nearly as crowded as the crowds in January.
  • MandyNacci
    MandyNacci Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I thought it was always spelled neighbourhood lol!!
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Hee hee, this Canadian is laughing out loud.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I hope friday won't be awful. Today was TERRIBLE. I have never seen it so busy.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »

wuuuuut?! All of my gyms were closed... couldn't imagine an open one being crazy.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It was open until 2pm, which was pretty nice
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    My gym is open 24/7, so I went around 11:00am. There were 6 or 7 people there. No big deal.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I only had to share a lane for the last quarter of my workout, and I was sharing it with someone else who is ordinarily an early morning swimmer.
  • 1moretimetho
    1moretimetho Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    threnjen wrote: »

wuuuuut?! All of my gyms were closed... couldn't imagine an open one being crazy.

My gym was open on Thanksgiving from 8 am to 1pm. Crayy
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    My gym was oddly empty today. I would think that everyone would have wanted to be burning off the calories from yesterday.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The weight room was packed, but cardio had basically nobody
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    Not a lot of people in mine, some swimmers, people suing machines, not a lot of people in the aerobics classes.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It was so nice, I had the whole lap pool to myself. Friday evenings tend to be pretty slow at my gym but it was extra dead last night. Sunday afternoons are a good time to go too.