Help for Committing to Health

Options
rosestring
rosestring Posts: 225 Member
edited November 2014 in Motivation and Support
It doesn't matter how many new books or exercise DVD's I buy, I can't seem to get myself to commit. To anything.

I talked to my therapist today, and he said to try to make small goals (kind of like the Just for Today I Will ___) thread. There's an issue though: I can't think of JUST "this one day." I constantly just think "yep, I will have to do this for the rest of my life," which translates to "but I can't imagine I will FEEL like doing this for the rest of my life". It feels like extreme laziness, but it's obviously mixed with depression, as well as believing that nothing I do (exercise, eat right, etc.) is ever going to work because I have failed so many times before. I just obsess on the past and future, I suppose. I've been like this all my life.

Anyway, for those of you who have recovered from similar thoughts, what was your turning point? I mean, I've been trying to (or reading up on how to) lose 20 pounds since I was 12 (I'm 20 now), though in the last few years it has moved up to 30. I think I know a lot about eating well, fitness, etc...

But I never put any of it to use.

While the thoughts themselves are ridiculous and lazy, am I communicating this effectively?

I will say this: Once I start doing one of the necessary steps to losing weight (by exercising, or even eating a salad for God's sake), I love the high I get from it. The only issue is that I have trouble keeping a pattern of it.

Replies

• rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • ducati45
    ducati45 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    your therapist is right. There is a phenomenon where thinking about a long term goal and how good it will feel to finish makes you either a.see it as too impossible to start or b. you get the "good feeling" of finishing already and so don't even start at all. Setting small goals is really key to any task, not just weight loss, even while keeping the long term goal in your sight for motivation.