Does sodium make us gain weight

Options
l am getting mixed answers about this.

l read on the internet (and by Jillian Michaels) that we should eat no more than 1500-1000mg of sodium a day because it's bad for our metabolism and will make us gain weight (or something along those likes!)

but on here it says the maximum is 2500. What does it actually do? l don't get anthing out of it to be honest but if one eats too much of it is it unhealthy and a culprit for weight gain?

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    2500 is the standard. I always recommed about 1500-2000 a day for my clients. It can make you retain water and cause weight gain.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I say keep it between 1000-2000 because I find it near impossible to keep my sodium super low..

It doesn't make you gain weight. It makes your retain water... which reflects a higher weight on the scale... there are no carbs, fat, or high amounts of calories in salt... so there isn't really any way for you to GAIN weight eating it... it simply makes your body hold onto water instead of letting it go through your system. which makes you think you have gained weight.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Sodium makes you retain water, so it does have an impact on the scale. The less sodium in your diet the better. The 2500 setting is the max RDA.

Read your labels, many packaged and processed foods, frozen meals, etc. are loaded!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Only calories can make you gain weight (as in getting fat). However, sodium makes you retain water, so the scale puts you at pounds heavier than you actually are. Once you flush the sodium out, your weight returns to normal. I can "gain" two pounds from a meal at my favorite Vietnamese or Chinese restaurant because of all of the sodium. Within a day or so, it all goes back to normal.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    It's deceptive since you don't gain fat from sodium. Other than the other health risks (blood pressure, heart disease, etc). Whenever I have a day of high-sodium I up my water intake.
  • SherryGirl
    SherryGirl Posts: 40
    Options
    I agree with kimmerroze. PLUS ! Too much Sodium can also make you feel hungry! I lowered my sodium down to 1500 and try to stay in that range. If I go way over I feel Hungry and nothing seems to fill me up!! I didn't realize it until I heard it on the iPod Cast that Jillian does.... and WOW! Is right! I have been paying attention and as soon as I have something that is high in sodium... my rings feel tight. I look and yep ... a lot of processed stuff is high in sodium...
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The fluid that fills up your cells is mostly Saline (Salt Water). Your cell need the concentration of salt to be at a certain balance. If you add salt to your system, the water in your cells gets saltier, so your cells absorb any excess water they can find to bring the salinity back to normal. The extra water in your cells has weigh, and thus you will weigh more.

It doesn't add fat to you, but it can increase your blood pressure.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    2500 is the maximum recommended amount. Usually 1500 mg / day is reasonable. Excess sodium can cause you to retain water. However, you do need some sodium. More specifically you need both sodium and potassium in combination. There are channels on the cell's of the body called "Sodium/Potassium" channels and they help to regulate what compounds, chemicals, etc. get to go in and out of the cells. These two elements need to be balanced for these channels to work properly. Many vitamins and minerals play significant roles in how the body functions, which is why it's important to take a multivitamin if you cannot acheive your recommended daily intake through food alone.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I try not to go over what MFP says. I've done pretty well this week staying under and I do def notice a difference in my loss's when I go over or stay under for long periods of time. I read an article like a month ago which proclaimed Sodium to be linked to obesity. It makes sense. I wish I could find that article.