I stopped taking shortcuts - what about you?

Options
Sued0nim
Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I was thinking on my lunchtime walk that I literally have stopped taking shortcuts. I now choose to take the long way round to get my steps up. As a previously chronically afflicted lazy-*kitten* that (plus my regular workouts) is a huge change of attitude that now seems a part of me .. have to admit to being a little shocked at that.

Anyway I thought that "no longer taking shortcuts" was a nice analogy for losing weight and maintaining that loss

So what habits have you changed and did you ever think you would?

Edited to include the word '*kitten*' .. lazy-*** doesn't quite cut it on an adult website

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Taking the stairs when available and walk to the grocery store which is 1 mile from home.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I changed EVERYTHING, but most important was quit smoking four months ago.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

that is huge

2403611-3314683398-appla.gif
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

YAY!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ah you guys are cute! Happy T day J and Liz!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I run my errands whenever I need to rather than wait and do them all at one time (time permitting).

I walk out to the mailbox every delivery day instead of waiting until I have to drive somewhere and picking up the mail when I drive by the box.

I grab the first parking spot I see, rather than the closest.

58841349.png
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Lovely thread! I make more coffee runs all the way down at the C store - need to count the steps sometime!. I can get flavored but Black coffee there rather than the stuff in some of the vending machines where I'm not sure how many calories are in them

I do more walking errands at work rather than wait till someone is doing one then ask them to help out
  • cloieclo
    cloieclo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I now get off a tube/train stop earlier than I should. This is an additional 10-20 minutes walking everyday that I wasn't doing before. Something so small, you don't realize, but it helps so much.
  • cloieclo
    cloieclo Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Also, this is AMAZING! I know how hard it is. I gave up last October :)
    Keep it up!

• tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have stopped looking for the closest parking spot. It's been hard though, because I don't do it out of laziness...it's like a competition within myself. LOL. Ever see that episode of Seinfeld where George gets that awesome parking spot at the hospital and keeps talking about it and showing everyone? That's what I'm like. Haha.
    So now I park further away to get more steps. I also take the stairs more often and take the scenic route to the printer, bathroom, etc.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    Options
    I have stopped looking for the closest parking spot. It's been hard though, because I don't do it out of laziness...it's like a competition within myself. LOL. Ever see that episode of Seinfeld where George gets that awesome parking spot at the hospital and keeps talking about it and showing everyone? That's what I'm like. Haha.
    So now I park further away to get more steps. I also take the stairs more often and take the scenic route to the printer, bathroom, etc.

You should try looking for the farthest ever spot! Haha.
  • Sued0nim
    edited November 2014
    Options
    :smile: at competitive parking ...I know that feeling, big city people unite!

I'm cooking more and challenging myself to work out tasty lower calorie versions of foods I love

- I've also actually started finding healthy ready meals (I haven't really done ready meals before) - Marks & Spencer's Taste of Vietnam Chicken Noodle bun cha ...could your 380 calories be more delicious or nutritious? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I stopped emotional eating and eating out of boredom. I've become more adventurous with adding seasoning and different flavours when cooking, and I started eating fruit. There was never a reason I didn't eat fruit, I just never wanted it :L But honestly nothing is better when I need a pick me up than a banana.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    lol good posting. We ( hubby too) park also the first parking lot....and i bring the card back to places nearby or in the store. dont even take the closest by. Walk to the gym and back and on my way back i am taking now the long way around. It is just 5 minutes more but over a week it is 35 minutes more walking.

Take the long way around with our little mud when we walk her in the evenings. And indeed walk more in the house too. :) Every littlebit helps
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Good post. I used to think of excuses to drive for errands, but now I try to make time to walk and am disappointed when I'm so crunched for time I have to use the car.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I view the chance to walk places during the day as easy calories if I have the time. It adds up.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I already take public transit or cycle almost everywhere, so that hasn't really changed. My daily activity level isn't all that different, though I'm trying to be more diligent about workouts.

My biggest change has been in what I eat. I'm no longer coming home from work and snacking until dinner, and then snacking steadily after dinner. Instead, I give myself one treat per day (like a square of chocolate or similar) but that's it -- after that, I stop eating.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I quit binge drinking. It was pretty difficult for me after 10+ years of not skipping a day or night of drinking. But I had a free PT sesh at my old gym and he had me keep a two week log of food/drinks... We tallied up the calories and found out I was consuming more calories in alcohol and chasers than I was in food!