Biggest lifestyle change you did?

Options
Been on site site on and off... Been looking at my weight in the past 4 years and wow; it s a real yoyo! Losing weight is not just about training hard and dieting, its about lifestyle change.. what is the biggest change you have made? What are your tips and advice? How did you mentally change do keep it going?

Replies

• hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It does seem like it is mostly about food to me - changing from eating for pleasure to eating for good health.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Weighing my food and staying under my cals.... Thats it.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Limiting my alcoholic intake by a ton and counting calories to stay under/within my goal. Two small things that made a big impact/change!
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Exercize a lot more. I also participate in races, which encourage me to continue as I become faster and less tired out with each effort.

I also drop clothing sizes as soon as physically possible. It's a lot easier to notice an increase in weight when you've been consistently wearing the correct size and it's no longer fitting. To make this affordable, I don't buy many clothes in a given size and stock up on the next few sizes down when there is a really good sale.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    No more pop...was a Coke addict...the full sugar one ...three cans a day. Now tea and water total! Also went from vouch potatoe to fitness fanatic.
    Stef.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym everyday, yes even Thanksgiving Day.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which one. I used to eat whatever I wanted, when I wanted it. I used to join friends for beers after work. I used to not exercise. All three were critical to my change. Oh, and finally stepping on the scale to be accountable.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Learned how many calories I needed to maintain weight and ate 500 calories less per day. First time I ever counted calories.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Realizing I was way underestimating the calories I was eating. I don't know if I was in denial or simply not realizing that my portions were too big. Also, changing to a vegan diet -- I think I was eating too much cheese, and that definitely packs on the calories. Eating mostly vegetables has been the biggest change, probably. I keep going because of all the progress that I've seen so far. I'd lost 57 lbs and then without realizing it, thinking I had learned how to eat right and that I was exercising enough, I still gained back 35 of those pounds. When I started my journey to lose again September 2013, I was so afraid I would fail. But now I've blasted past the 57 lbs I lost and have lost 73 lbs total from my highest weight, and to see that I really CAN do it, keeps me going. Even when I have days when I mess up. I remember that my life still has plenty of years to go and a few days here and there of indulging and not exercising will not mean I'll wake up the next day having gained back those 73 lbs. But what WILL do that is giving up! So, I keep going simply because, to me, there is no other option. And I feel so much better at this weight :)
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Doing more exercise, and not always by myself. I made exercise social, by joining a couple hiking groups. It's great to be with people who are eager to be active and enjoy the outdoors and get out there regularly, in all kinds of weather. I stopped being a fair weather exerciser.
  • Eating when I'm actually hungry, not just looking for something to do.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I think before I just randomly snack on food, do I really want this or save my calories for something more substantial. I like having 2 main meals with meat , carbs and vegetables. I try to snack on low calorie treats. Sometimes at nite a lite meal.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Being mindful 100% of the time when it comes to food. No mindless snacking on anything-even carrot sticks. If I'm going to consume it, I'm going to log it. Keeping it real with myself.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    lifting heavy things frequently
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    To be honest, dieting was the biggest change - just moving from eating fairly intuitively to eating in a much more controlled way. Stopping listening to my body and understanding that my body was lying to me!

I try to stick to three meals a day and not eat outside of mealtimes. That helps a lot.

Also recognising that I'd have to diet for life and committing to it. That was a difficult step because I knew that I would regain if I tried to eat intuitively again, and it seemed a big deal to commit forever!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »
    lifting increasingly heavier things frequently
    Yeah, this. (I took some artistic license.)

;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Letting go of diet-related guilt. It was the biggest thing pulling me down. I used to be a "good girl" for a while, then lose the battle against "bad food" with a screw it it's already ruined attitude and gain all back.

Now I let go of guilt, food labeling, attaching feelings (other than enjoyment) to foods, and that whole good girl bad girl mentality. I let go of quite a few diet-related terms including the good ones such as moderation, macros, and any other stress, guilt, or obsession inducing term.

If I want to eat a whole bag of chips I will eat a bag of chips. The difference between then and now is that I CHOOSE to eat it instead of losing control, knowing exactly how many calories it has, what it will result in, what I can do to counteract the effect, and most importantly - that I don't have to feel guilty about it and that I can have it any time I want in any quantity I want, so no need to eat like this is my last meal.

I choose to maintain or even gain a couple every now and then. As long as I take more steps towards weight loss than I do towards weight gain I'm going to get there eventually. A slight yoyo is fine if done mindfully, because I know I'm still in control and that the extra weight is not just piling up randomly until it gets out of control.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    - Demoralizing food. No more "good" vs "bad" foods, "cheat" days/meals, no more shame, guilt or consternation no matter what I eat or how much I eat. I can't tell you how many pounds I've gained through the years on the back of "ugh, I blew it, might as well cheat for the rest of the day and start again tomorrow". Just to do the same merry go round the next day, and many days after that. Meanwhile, the pounds piled and piled...

- Intermittent Fasting.

- Intuitive Eating. Being in touch with my actual hunger cues makes a world of difference.

- Finally accepting that I'd be watching my weight actively for the rest of my life. That was a tough, tough one to swallow for a very long time.

• Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have found it easy, because I did not change what I eat, just have smaller portion sizes now. And it is more than enough to keep me full at 1600 cal, The first few weeks was hard, because I use to over eat so much, but now my body has adjusted to it.
  • deviiv
    deviiv Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My food- definitely. Being more aware of what I'm eating and why.