not sure if I'm eating too little for weight loss?

Options
So as my title stated I'm a little concerned that I'm eating too little calories. This may sound weird but I feel like i ate a lot but when i summed up the calories it is too little!
so this is my diary:
i ate a small banana for breakfast (45 cal)
for lunch i had mcdonald breakfast egg muffin without the ham (250 cal)
I had a small apple for snacks (39 cal)
for dinner i ate a water-fried egg and homemade bread. ( 350 cal )

Am I doing it right? It just felt a lot but when i added it up it is only 730 cal ! Or did I weighed the food wrongly.
And more importantly, should I now grab some food for the sake of the calories because I'm actually not hungry.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    No, you are not doing it right. The idea is to eat the right amount of calories and lose weight.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    You can't really eat too little for weight loss. As long as you're eating fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose weight.

But if you're only eating 730 calories a day (and I'm skeptical of that), it's highly unlikely that you're getting adequate nutrition. Food isn't just about calories - you need to actually be getting enough fibre, protein, vitamins, fat, etc to keep yourself healthy. That day of eating you posted looks deficient in everything. Whether you're hungry or not, you need to be getting some more nutrients in.
  • ink_b1tch
    Options
    Sometimes you have to force yourself to eat. I have this issue on a normal basis. I use nuts as a "snack" through the day, this helps with much of the deficit. When you are hungry try to eat that extra egg. If you are doing to much of a deficit, your body will hold onto everything cuz you are starving it. I will say that its how it works for me. The more I eat to my calorie goal the better weight loss my body does because it has the "fuel" to help keep my body burning cals and to work out (im not so tired). I am not saying this is how it is for everyone. The last thing I would suggest is to prelog your food so you can fill in the gaps ahead of time with healthy choices not grabbing "junk" for the sake of cals. Hope this helps a bit.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Also .. you might want to check your calorie counts ..... a small banana is actually closer to 100kcal !!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh your apple and banana? A small apple for only about 40 calories would be like a crabapple. Very. Small. The apples that I eat which I consider "small" are more like 80 calories (~120 g). And a small banana for 45 cals. Is it one of those mini 4" bananas? Otherwise, you're looking at more calories than that... up to 120ish.

That being said I still don't think you're eating enough. You should try planning out your day more carefully, adding the calories up before you eat. You don't want to hurt yourself (either physically or mentally).
  • animall
    animall Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    actually yes i did weighed my fruits. And yes in my country we have really small bananas and apples. But i might want to get my weighing machine checked because the apple was definitely bigger than a crabapple.
    Anyway I'm new to this site and the speed of the responds really surprised me.
    Thank you all for solving the problem that was bothering me for days. I will eat more next time. Thanks!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    When i weigh my apples, the average Apple i eat is 80 grams or so, so about 45 calories according to the database entries for apples in grams.

It certainly doesn't look like you're eating enough, there were absolutely zero vegetables, healthy fats, not much protein...you could add avocados, nuts, peanut butter....veggies are always good. Even potatoes and corn, especially if you're so low on calories.
  • animall
    animall Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is just for today, normally i eat a lot of vegetables, but they are very low in calories too. But yeah next time I will try to eat more protein and healthy fats. Thank you.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    animall wrote:
    So as my title stated I'm a little concerned that I'm eating too little calories.
    Unless you're extremely short yes, you're not eating enough to get the nutrition you need.
    My doctor & dietician told me to eat 10x my healthy goal weight in lb. To get that, look at a BMI chart http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf. You want something in the green range, preferably toward the middle. (But if you're starting off very overweight, aim for the top green number as your initial goal. Adjust once you get there.)
    i ate a small banana for breakfast (45 cal)
    for lunch i had mcdonald breakfast egg muffin without the ham (250 cal)
    I had a small apple for snacks (39 cal)
    for dinner i ate a water-fried egg and homemade bread. ( 350 cal )
    When you log things, ignore words like "small". Instead try to find weight/mass (100g is 3.3 oz), or some objective measurement (inches of banana, a cup of chopped apple, etc.).
    My breakfast banana is listed in inches (since I don't have a scale). It tells me 6" = 75 cal.
    Also, don't choose homemade things unless you've made them & entered your own recipe.
    Go for a well-known brand name, or search using "USDA" with the rest of your terms.
    It just felt a lot but when I added it up it is only 730 cal! Or did I weigh the food wrongly?
    And more importantly, should I now grab some food for the sake of the calories because I'm actually not hungry.
    When you're low on calories (substantially low, as you are) yes, have something more.
    Avocado, nuts, more eggs, cheese... Put some peanut butter or cream cheese on celery, or dip up some hummus.
    And I agree that there should be veggies & more protein (beans, fish, chicken, cow, even pig can be lean).

Here's a post I did compiling a bunch of newbie help things, including sexypants & one about logging accurately:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-10-newbie-help-post-685689

51637601.png
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    animall wrote: »
    actually yes i did weighed my fruits. And yes in my country we have really small bananas and apples. But i might want to get my weighing machine checked because the apple was definitely bigger than a crabapple.
    Anyway I'm new to this site and the speed of the responds really surprised me.
    Thank you all for solving the problem that was bothering me for days. I will eat more next time. Thanks!

Hmm, maybe crabapples here are dense!