Good running times

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
I got a PB while training this morning - 52 mins to run 10k, which I am really happy with (my first race I managed 64 minutes and nearly killed myself!), but I keep reading articles by runners saying they aim for under 45 mins for 10k. I can't see how I'll ever hit 45 mins! So what do you think is a good time for running 10k? What do you aim for?

I have been running for 9 months, if that helps.

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Umm... 52min is great! And you've only been running 9 months?! Don't sell yourself short.
    If you're looking to be "competitive" (like top finishers in your group) I could see 45 min but that is FLYING. Just over 7min/miles.

Be proud of where you are at. I've only been running the past 2-3 years and I just got my PR in a 5k at 25:38... and I was gassed, so no way i'd keep that for a 10k just to TIE you!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Anytime you cross the finish line.

I aim for doing better than I did the previous race.

There are few runners that are actually fast at running. The rest of us just enjoy running for the health benefits and sense of accomplishment.
  • HJSilva
    HJSilva Posts: 29
    Options
    I run both 5k's and 10k's...i average 9 minute miles and am no where near the front of the pack.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    After only 9 months, I think 52 minutes for a 10K is great! I'm running my first 5 miler on Saturday and I'm hoping to finish that in under 50, so I think you are on a great pace that you can improve on over time!
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think that you did a great job! That said...comparing yourself to others can be a sure fire way to be discouraged! I am running my first 10k next Sunday and am hoping to finish in under 75 minutes.
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    52 mins is a great time! Id just try to continually beat that! I know lots of runners that have a hard time going under 60 mins!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Right now i am aiming for sub 60, so quit braggin!!!

I would say don't worry about what "they" say. How long have those runners been running? Do they have bodies that you desire? Are they your idea of happy?

I am impressed as hell with the women who finish marathons in insane times. However, do I want to look like them? Not really. Do I want to train like them? Dear god no! So just be happy with your own personal best and forget the rest.
  • fteale
    Options
    Thanks. I have a friend I run with who always gets 47/48 mins for a 10k, so I can't help compare to her. She has been running for years, though.
  • jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    Options
    I think anything is possable.. I started running in januray it was really hard for me at first this past saturday I ran a nine min mile!!!
    I was very happy with my progress and aim to run two miles in 16 mins...
  • roballesteros
    roballesteros Posts: 140
    Options
    I have been running for 8 months now and I am not as fast as you are. I have done 3-10Ks so far and I am running another on Saturday. I am aiming for 11 min mile. I personally do not see how I will ever hit a 10 min. mile anytime soon this is a hard pill for me to swallow since I have a friend who runs all the races I've run with me and she is under a 10 minute mile and she barely runs once a week if that. I would have to be alot more dedicated than I am now which is hard to do since I am running almost 7 days a week for 45-60 minutes. I would just say have your own personal goal and don't worry about what others do, that is pretty much moto. I am just enjoying running right now and running for fitness and not for competition.
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My first 10K was 2 years ago..and I had never run more than 5 miles. I finished at 1 hr 8 minutes and 59 seconds. I thought it wasn't so bad. I didn't run at all last year ( not sure why, it just didn;t happen). I am signed up for numerous races this year and a 10K on Columbus Day in Boston. so excited and I think any time you finish a race whether it be to better yourself, or if it's your first race, or you're just doing it for fun..is great! Nice job on making a personal record for yourself!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    OT
    Fteale I found your look alike!
    Lookalike.jpg
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have a friend I run with who always gets 47/48 mins for a 10k, so I can't help compare to her. She has been running for years, though.

You want to drop 4 minutes over 10k distance? That sounds do-able! How are you training right now? Are you doing primarily distance work, or are you doing any speed training?

You'll have to train for speed to start getting your times down -- sprints or sprint intervals. Have you seen any of Hal Higdon's training plans? (http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10kinter.htm)

Good luck!
  • saturnine0
    saturnine0 Posts: 3
    Options
    Start doing alot of intervals and tempo runs. It comes down to being really persistent in your training and actually pushing yourself. When I have a target like that I'll print out the finishing times for the race I'm targetings prior year(almost always online) and use it to figure out what I have to run to get 1st, 2nd, etc in my age group then as I do my training runs mark where I'd place in the race. It gives you a tangible sense of improvement and makes it easier to set goals on a run by run basis.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You've got a pretty good time going right now.
    Unless you've had a history of being a competitive runner, it is really difficult to compare yourself to others when dealing with recreational running. Just set your goals on an individual basis. Try to knock of a little bit of time each race. Or maybe try for a longer distance race.

Personally, I have always been a runner, but it was always shorter sprint type distances. I was horrible at longer "distance" running. Then a few years back when i got back into distance running more to keep in shape, lose weight, it took over a year of consistent running and things just clicked. My times started dropping like crazy, I could run farther than I ever could and more importantly (to me) I could keep my speed over distance. Sometimes it just takes time for everything to come together.

Also one of the things I think is important for getting faster is varying your training. A speed run, a stamina run and a slow distance run each week. Although I did drop my times skipping the speed part. But you should definitely avoid just running at the same pace every workout.
  • fteale
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I don't have a training program as such, I just run 10k twice a week and do boot camps twice a week plus aerobics. I have downloaded a proper program by it requires being able to train 6 days a week, and I can't, I only have 3 mornings a week child free, and 2 of those I have things on that aren't negotiable, so I get one mid week run, and one at the weekend.

It is good to hear my time isn't bad, though. I do feel fit, and I don't get tired, I just struggle to push myself that bit harder. I did my first 10k last september at 8 days notice, having never run before (that was my 64 minute run) and came 330th out of 400, which I thought was dreadful. Maybe I'm too hard on myself!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I got a PB while training this morning - 52 mins to run 10k, which I am really happy with (my first race I managed 64 minutes and nearly killed myself!), but I keep reading articles by runners saying they aim for under 45 mins for 10k. I can't see how I'll ever hit 45 mins! So what do you think is a good time for running 10k? What do you aim for?

I have been running for 9 months, if that helps.
    If you ran 52 minutes this morning and you have only been running for 9 months then you CAN run under 45 minutes given more time in consistent training. You can continue to improve for up to ten years so you have a long way to go before you reach that peak.
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have a 10k coming up this Saturday, aiming to get below 50min. Did a trial run today (same route as the race) and finished in 51:54 mins.

I've been running on and off for a few years, but am trying to be more serious about it now. Hope to do a 10k in around 45mins in October. So I guess you and I are kinda in the same boat here.