2»

Replies

• polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    J E L L O
  • mypersonalfitnessjourney
    Options
    I would highly recommend you get your thyroid checked (not the basic panel of tests, but the full/extended one), as brittle/breaking/peeling nails is a major physical symptom of an underactive thyroid. Of course, that symptom is just one of many, but if you're leading a healthy lifestyle (which it seems like you are), having symptoms like that is indicative of an underlying health issue, imbalance, etc.

This is a full list of symptoms of having an underactive thyroid:

http://hypothyroidmom.com/300-hypothyroidism-symptoms-yes-really/

(And bear in mind, many of these symptoms can be indicative of a hormonal or adrenal imbalance as well -- so it wouldn't hurt to see a naturopath in order to get your health to balanced, optimal levels.)

And, even if you have just a handful of the symptoms on that list in conjunction with one another, hypothyroidism is one of the most undiagnosed/misdiagnosed health problems in our world today, with over 150 million people still without a proper diagnosis or course of treatment for it. And while it occurs in many younger people (myself included), the risk of having a thyroid that is not working optimally increases with age. It's well worth getting the lab work done (better safe than sorry, as untreated hypothyroidism can cause major issues down the line):

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/recommended-labwork/

It's at least worth looking into. Best of luck, and feel free to message me if you need any further input.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    is gelatin intake useful?
    I know you really want long, pretty nails that you can paint and be ever so proud of, but jello is not a wonder drug for nails. People say it all the time, but it isn't so.

You'd be better off with a healthy diet or a multivitamin and maybe Biotin. Then you can have your pretty nails and paint them to match your cute outfits.

Just make sure to let the paint dry overnight before you start plucking feathers out of ducks.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I just want to make them as crush proof as possible. With the deadlifting i've been doing my nails are having to actually perform the task they were created for.

I've always read gelatin was the thing, so figured, why not ask? :)

Would it be wrong if I painted my nails?
  • Kalikel
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I just want to make them as crush proof as possible. With the deadlifting i've been doing my nails are having to actually perform the task they were created for.

I've always read gelatin was the thing, so figured, why not ask? :)

Would it be wrong if I painted my nails?
    I was joking. I figured you didn't want to paint them, but No, it isn't wrong if you do. I like pinks best, but to each his own there.

The best way to actually have strong nails is to eat a healthy diet. If your doctor tells you to take supplements, take them. Some people have success with Biotin, so you can try that. (I took it in a futile attempt to grow or keep more hair and noticed no difference in my nails, but loads of people swear by it.)

Don't screw around with them. Keep them out of chemicals as much as possible. Don't go crazy filing them, just clip and gently smooth. Don't remove or push back the cuticles. Moisturizing can't hurt, but mostly, eat healthy and let nature do it's thing.

New problems with nails really can be signaling other, bigger problems, so it really is best to get it checked out if you have lots of weird, new nail issues.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Reason I don't paint them (which would be cool to start...) is so I can observe them for a lead poisoning line. Not all of the ranges I frequent have as good a ventilation system as I want.

since it's duck season, a nice camo pattern would be cool.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Reason I don't paint them (which would be cool to start...) is so I can observe them for a lead poisoning line. Not all of the ranges I frequent have as good a ventilation system as I want.

since it's duck season, a nice camo pattern would be cool.
    Please post pics when you do that. :)

• dbmata
    Options
    lol, gotta talk my wife into it.