Meals for Two People

Options
KatyAverill
KatyAverill Posts: 166 Member
I'm looking for dinner recipes for just me and my husband and I'd love some help!
I'd prefer the meals to be low calorie, quick, easy, and inexpensive. :smile:

Replies

• Abstraktimus
    Abstraktimus Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bang on! This is what I'm looking for too, would be awesome to know what people do!
  • JaneECS
    JaneECS Posts: 71 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'd go with gammon and rice salad - two ounces cold gammon, 1.5 ounces (uncooked) rice, a tablespoon of each peas and sweetcorn, as much lettuce, cucumber, celery, beetroot, radishes, spring onion etc as you can handle and a tablespoon low cal mayo/salad cream/dressing - approx. 250 cal, enough carbs and protein to keep the hunger pangs at bay and yum all the way. We have this most Tuesdays. All chopped up, mixed up and eaten with a fork.
    -
    The other one is a two egg omelette with onions and peppers, 3 oz potato, 4 oz of two of carrot, cauli, broccoli, cabbage, and a dessertspoon of ketchup - 400 cals (approx), quick and easy - double to feed 2 people.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    meals that are usually on my menu (its just me and the husband at home) are:

salmon, sweet potato wedges and broccoli cheese
    tuna pasta bake
    lasagne
    chicken pieces cooked with mediterranean veg, served with rice
    pork chops, roast potatoes, veg
    chilli
    spag bol
    Fish pie

there arent ever leftovers in our house, as my husband is trying to gain a few pounds, but buying and cooking in bulk are great for saving money and portion control.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have specific ideas for you but honestly I find it very easy to cook for two people. Most recipes are for four people "4 servings". Either halve the recipe, or have it twice (leftovers).

I hope this answer does not sound flippant! I know a lot of people who are empty nesters and used to cooking for a larger family and they're always saying it is difficult to cook for just two. I find the opposite to be true but perhaps that is because I have always cooked for two (roommate and I, ex and I, husband now and I).

Good luck to you. Also check out Pinterest.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have specific ideas for you but honestly I find it very easy to cook for two people. Most recipes are for four people "4 servings". Either halve the recipe, or have it twice (leftovers).

I hope this answer does not sound flippant! I know a lot of people who are empty nesters and used to cooking for a larger family and they're always saying it is difficult to cook for just two. I find the opposite to be true but perhaps that is because I have always cooked for two (roommate and I, ex and I, husband now and I).

Good luck to you. Also check out Pinterest.

This. It's just me and my husband, and we like having leftovers.

Though, one thing I did like about Trader Joe's when we lived near one was that it seems to a grocery store that is tailored for a 2-person household.

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    pork tenderloin w/grilled or steamed veggies and rice/quinoa
    crock pot chicken breast, pulled, with a salad and veggies
    grilled salmon with sauteed brussel sprouts or broccoli
    crock pot taco soup (use ground turkey or chicken instead of beef)
    smoothies
    salad with tuna pouch
    I usually cook at least one chicken a week and use it with different recipes.. amazing how long one can last with two people. Eat the breasts and wings for dinner with veggies. Use the legs and thighs for chicken salad which can be lunch and boil the carcass (and cooked juices) for chicken broth which can be used for soups, pasta, rice, etc.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Generally I just scale recipes down so that they make a maximum of 4 servings (Not a big fan of leftovers) or just two. Very common meals in my household are:

Salad topped with tuna
    Chili made with lean beef and kidney beans
    Sloppy joes
    Pita pizza (Only because I'm way too lazy to make a real pizza crust...)
    Baked chicken on salad with homemade yogurt dressing
    Veggie stew with beef cubes (Made with eggplant, zucchini, carrots, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, spinach... I throw as many veggies as I can get away with into this thing!)
    Salad with tuna, chopped boiled eggs, and a teeny bit of mayo and dill
    Homemade kebab with hummus and pita bread (This is a higher calorie one, but delicious!)
    Veggie burgers made with baked chickpea-tahini patties
    Lean beef burgers with low-fat cheese (A favorite around here... We're meat lovers and burger lovers ;))

Most of them are super quick to throw together :)

If any of them sound interesting to you (I'm a pretty boring cook, really) PM me and I'd be happy to give you the recipe :) (Note that I weigh all my ingredients in grams, so if you use cups and tablespoons... I can't really help there)
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I don't have any recipes for you, but I do have some advice. Buy your protein in bulk and then portion out into servings for 2 people. It's just me and hubby at home. We eat a lot of lean, boneless pork chops and chicken breasts. I buy the family pack to save money then bring it home and put 2 chops/breasts in bags and freeze. Do the same with ground beef or turkey. If you're going to use a pound, put that into a bag and freeze it. When it's time to eat, just thaw one bag...enough for one meal.

I also intentionally buy smaller versions of roasts or pork loins. Or I'll buy a large, bring it home and cut into smaller pieces and freeze. I like to have a lot of variety in our menus, so I only want to cook enough for one meal. No leftovers is great!

If you like Italian, Bertolli has some great pasta dishes that are made for just 2 people. The chicken Florentine with farfalle pasta is great. Takes about 10 minutes to cook on the stove. Throw a couple pieces of frozen garlic toast into the oven...done!