What makes you a runner?

How can you day you are a runner? I have a friend that runs 12 minute miles, and people say she's a walker. I say if you run, you are a runner, no matter the pace.

Replies

• SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    I run; therefore I am a runner! No matter how fast (or slow) I go!!
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    I started out running 13 minute miles, and was told by multiple people that I was too slow to be labeled a runner. I say if running is your main form of exercise, you're a runner.
  • livingdeadbuddha
    livingdeadbuddha Posts: 23 Member
    Running.
  • I started out at a 12 min mile and have gotten to an 8 minute mile. It's running either way; no need for people to be snobs about it!
  • I used to, and sometimes still do (injury, long break from running, etc), run 15 min miles. People walk much faster than my run. No shame in that.

I think as long as you're out there working on it, it doesn't matter if it's a 5 mins miles or 20 mins mile. You're a runner.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    edited November 2014
    You run. End of story. The people who say otherwise are stupid - says the girl who runs 13 min miles.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2014
    I lost my first toenail a couple of days ago. Hopefully that will earn me my running merit badge.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Running makes you a runner as others have said above. Even at 12 minute or 15 minute miles it is still faster than the average person walks at 20 minute miles. Run on and disregard the haters...
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    It's a very individual definition. It's almost like asking someone, what makes you a good person.

Personally, I'm a runner because it is my preferred form of exercise, because I've been running since I was 9, because I miss it terribly when I'm sidelined due to injury, because it is the singular activity where I genuinely clear my mind while doing it, because I would rather talk about running than most things, and because I say so!

Also, FWIW, I am not highly competitive now, but I once was. Even when I was running sub 6:00 miles, I always considered anyone who ran--at any pace-- a runner.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    The only line I really draw is treadmill. I don't consider strict, 100% treadmillers to be "runners," but rather "people who use a treadmill to stay in shape." You don't have to race, but you gotta go outside more often than not. Paces and speed are all relative.
  • hot4fitness2
    hot4fitness2 Posts: 528 Member
    Here is my two cents for what it is worth. What makes someone a true runner has nothing to do with speed. It has everything to do with perseverance. True runners, run no matter what the weather,they persevere through pain and sometimes tears. When they finish a race they are spent, they have nothing left. They run regardless to whether anyone is there to cheer them on. A runner is someone who runs with all their heart, all their soul, and all their strength!
  • I run; therefore I am a runner! No matter how fast (or slow) I go!!
    This!
  • Here is my two cents for what it is worth. What makes someone a true runner has nothing to do with speed. It has everything to do with perseverance. True runners, run no matter what the weather,they persevere through pain and sometimes tears. When they finish a race they are spent, they have nothing left. They run regardless to whether anyone is there to cheer them on. A runner is someone who runs with all their heart, all their soul, and all their strength!

Perfect!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    If pace doesn't matter, then why would the label of being called a runner matter?

Personally I think if you run on a consistent basis, you are a runner. I'm not a runner because I still hate it, even though I can do 10 kms.
  • Here is my two cents for what it is worth. What makes someone a true runner has nothing to do with speed. It has everything to do with perseverance. True runners, run no matter what the weather,they persevere through pain and sometimes tears. When they finish a race they are spent, they have nothing left. They run regardless to whether anyone is there to cheer them on. A runner is someone who runs with all their heart, all their soul, and all their strength!
    Love this
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    I agree with Sonicadeathmonkey and hot4fitness2: running outside more often than not, speed is irrelevant. I also think a runner is someone who couldn't care less what others label him/her. Y'all can call me a donkey butt, I'm still gonna lace up my shoes and go for a run. Hence a runner :#
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Only you can decide if you are a runner. No one else makes that decision but you for yourself IMO.
    It may have been said already but I'm on mobile and hard to read them all.
    For me, I tell people they are a runner when they drive past people running in the heat, rain,cold,*kitten* conditions and for the first time think to them selves "Damn I wish I was running, look at those lucky folks" in stead of "damn, look at those fools out running in these conditions"
    That's my test lol :D
  • lizm223
    lizm223 Posts: 17 Member
    Do you run? Do you enjoy running? Congrats, you're a runner. Speed may determine if you're a competitive runner, but doesn't make you a runner. I'm still a novice runner, only been at it a few months, but I probably enjoy my 11 minute mile pace runs as much as those who run twice as fast.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    To be a runner you need to have had shin splint, runners knee, IT Band Syndrom, plantar fasciitis, black toe nails, nipple chaffing... nah just run and you are a runner and ignore anyone who says where or how you have to run to be one.