Latest Canadian research: Do diets work in long term?

Options
jeansuza
jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
Extract: "Approximately two-thirds of people who lose weight will regain it within 1 year, and almost all of them will regain it within 5 years.11 Although dieting (ie, caloric restriction) to lose weight is a difficult task, the maintenance of lost weight requires the patient to deploy even greater efforts. Rather than a simple lack of willpower, the relapse of most individuals to their previous weight after otherwise successful weight loss is largely driven by the coordinated actions of metabolic, neuroendocrine, autonomic, and behavioural changes that oppose the maintenance of reduced body weight.

The few individuals successful at maintaining weight loss (at least 13.6 kg for at least 1 year) generally have common behaviour and strategies that include consuming low-energy, low-fat diets; engaging in high levels of physical activity; consistent self-monitoring of body weight and food intake; eating breakfast regularly; and demonstrating a high level of dietary restraint. It is highly unlikely that some of this behaviour can be emulated by most of the population with excess weight.

There is also concern that unhealthy weight control methods (eg, fasting, meal skipping, laxatives, diuretics, stimulants) might ultimately lead to a larger weight regain and pose a risk to both mental and physical health.Thus, although sustained weight loss with diet alone can be possible for some individuals, agreeing on realistic weight-loss expectations and sustainable behavioural changes is critical to avoid disappointment and nonadherence.

Weight regain (relapse) should not be framed as failure but as an expected consequence of dealing with a chronic and complex condition like obesity."

Jean-Philippe Chaput, PhD⇑
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Ottawa and Junior Research Chair in Healthy Active Living and Obesity Research at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute in Ottawa.

Denis Prud’homme, MD MSc FRCPC
Professor of Human Kinetics, Associate Vice President of Research, and Scientific Director of the Institut de recherche de l’Hôpital Montfort in Ottawa.

Zachary M. Ferraro, PhD
Researcher at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute.

Arya M. Sharma, MD PhD FRCPC
Scientific Director of the Canadian Obesity Network and Professor and Endowed Chair in Obesity Research and Management at the University of Alberta in Edmonton.

http://www.cfp.ca/content/60/11/973.long

Replies

• jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    A bit depressing but it also shows the path to maintenance...
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I disagree with them; plenty of those things can be emulated by the majority of the obese, overweight, and just "i want to lose weight" population. The key is that you don't need to do ALL of them. Track calories is an easy one that can be done... all on its own. Or you can just exercise a lot. Or you can cut out a food group. Etc etc. These are all things that people who've never gained weight do on their own without really even thinking about it (especially with portion control).

I also disagree that maintenance requires even more effort, unless you go about weight loss in extreme manners: 1200 or less calories a day a la MFP, exercising like 10 hours a week or more, cutting out foods you love.... Slow and steady really does win the race, and choosing methods you know you are comfortable doing in maintenance is essential. I mean, the only difference once I reach maintenance will be that I increase my calories and experience even better improvements in my lifts at hte gym. So really, there's no extra effort being performed here. I'm still eating the same, still doing the same exercise, and know to adjust my intake when my activity levels change.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    This is what one could call GIGO.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

"The few individuals successful at maintaining weight loss (at least 13.6 kg for at least 1 year) generally have common behaviour and strategies that include consuming low-energy, low-fat diets; engaging in high levels of physical activity; consistent self-monitoring of body weight and food intake; eating breakfast regularly; and demonstrating a high level of dietary restraint. It is highly unlikely that some of this behaviour can be emulated by most of the population with excess weight."

I don't know that you would have to do all of these, like Ana3067 said. I can continue doing the same things that help me lose weight to maintain. It is depressing news and I had unrealistic thoughts that losing was the hard part, but I have been aware of the problem with regaining the weight.

"There is also concern that unhealthy weight control methods (eg, fasting, meal skipping, laxatives, diuretics, stimulants) might ultimately lead to a larger weight regain and pose a risk to both mental and physical health.Thus, although sustained weight loss with diet alone can be possible for some individuals, agreeing on realistic weight-loss expectations and sustainable behavioural changes is critical to avoid disappointment and nonadherence."

I know these unhealthy methods aren't supported here, but I don't know why they are promoted/used elsewhere.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    "The few individuals successful at maintaining weight loss (at least 13.6 kg for at least 1 year) generally have common behaviour and strategies that include consuming low-energy, low-fat diets; engaging in high levels of physical activity; consistent self-monitoring of body weight and food intake; eating breakfast regularly; and demonstrating a high level of dietary restraint. It is highly unlikely that some of this behaviour can be emulated by most of the population with excess weight."

I don't know that you would have to do all of these, like Ana3067 said. I can continue doing the same things that help me lose weight to maintain. It is depressing news and I had unrealistic thoughts that losing was the hard part, but I have been aware of the problem with regaining the weight.

"There is also concern that unhealthy weight control methods (eg, fasting, meal skipping, laxatives, diuretics, stimulants) might ultimately lead to a larger weight regain and pose a risk to both mental and physical health.Thus, although sustained weight loss with diet alone can be possible for some individuals, agreeing on realistic weight-loss expectations and sustainable behavioural changes is critical to avoid disappointment and nonadherence."

I know these unhealthy methods aren't supported here, but I don't know why they are promoted/used elsewhere.

I'd guess because they are quick. And no one wants to wait a year to lose 40lbs, they want it gone in 2 months.

Although many people here do use unhealthy (too few calories, waaaay too much exercise, or both) methods.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    This stuff is what scares me the most. The long-term thing. The keeping it up. The NEVER being able to just forget about it. It's why I try very hard to pay more attention to hunger cues and changing how I eat, not just the portions.

I can diet easily. I can lose weight logging or not logging. When it's time to lose those last ten pounds, I can starve them off if I have to. But living my life as a person who eats without dieting - that's the thing I need to keep working on, so that when the time comes, I'm prepared.

No way in hell I'm logging for life. I have to learn to eat without all that. If it's going to carry me for life, it has to become habit. It has to just be What I Do. It cannot require tons of work or thought.

So few fat people ever get thin. Most of those who manage it just get fat again. I can't let that happen.

I'm glad to be reminded of this stuff. Helps me keep my guard up and plan for it. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    That's my doctor Sharma! He runs the clinic here in Edmonton. Way to go Dr. Sharma!
    I don't know if the above can properly be called a new Canadian study. It's kind of a mega peer review of what works.

http://www.drsharma.ca/
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So...eat less, move more, pay attention to the details.

Sounds about right to me.