Strength training? :(

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Agreed, but if it is the difference between adherence at the start and no adherence?
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have to say feel free to add me! Horseback riding lifters are my favourite ;) we're few and far between!

I second watching some videos and finding a beginner program that works for you. For me it helped having someone I know 'show me the ropes' and I went to an intro crossfit class that for an hour just focused on proper lifting technique. Since then, I made a few corrections but was much more confident starting lifting heavier on my own.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    No one in this topic has advocated basing strength training on machines. The suggestion is to build a little confidence learning movements on the machines, so they have an easy transition into free weights.

Definitely no one arguing against free weights in the long run.
  • JoshD8705
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    JoshD8705 wrote: »
    I definitely don't recommend the smith machine, unless you're at planet fitness, and that's all you have. If someone must use a smith machine timed reps are something to study i.e. 4 secs at the top 4 on the way down, and 4 back up.

I'v just noticed one of the regulars at my gym who is a college athlete has started using the smith machine.

For calf raises. ;)

Lol a lot of wasted space for a calf raise machine isn't it?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Machines don't work stabilizer muscles or secondary support muscles. To simplify it as best as possible, you'll end up over stimulating and over training a big muscle and under training the little muscles that also help with the lift. You won't get "real life" stronger by using machines, as in, very rarely in your life will you be lifting, pushing, or pulling an object that follows a set plane in space like a machine forces you to do.

Use free weights every chance you can unless machines are your only option. Machines are only really good for adding to the end of a workout I suppose for a bit of muscle isolation.
    A weight machine is the only realistic option for me. But since I'm starting from a fairly weak condition, I'm thinking I should be able to gain some real strength.

• danibrosseau
    Options
    Oh my. There's so much good information here!

I'm a little concerned about just watching form videos and then trying them out. As a horseback rider... I spend half my life watching others riders' EQ, but I still need a trainer to yell at me to fix my own.

Anyone have any advice on how to ask a cutie at the gym for assistance? I've never seen a female in our weight room, so a male it must be. "Hey, I'm new to free-lifting. Would you mind showing me how you do it?" seems so... so lame.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

I'm a little concerned about just watching form videos and then trying them out. As a horseback rider... I spend half my life watching others riders' EQ, but I still need a trainer to yell at me to fix my own.

Anyone have any advice on how to ask a cutie at the gym for assistance? I've never seen a female in our weight room, so a male it must be. "Hey, I'm new to free-lifting. Would you mind showing me how you do it?" seems so... so lame.

Nope, not at all.

I would find either an athlete that knows what they are doing or possiblly a PT (if you have them on staff at your gym... we used to when I was in college). Ask them to critique and/or show you how to perform the more technical movements.

• dbmata
    Options
    I definitely don't recommend the smith machine, unless you're at planet fitness, and that's all you have. If someone must use a smith machine timed reps are something to study i.e. 4 secs at the top 4 on the way down, and 4 back up.

I'v just noticed one of the regulars at my gym who is a college athlete has started using the smith machine.

For calf raises. ;)

Yeah, a lot. He's one of two other guys I see, who like me, use the squat racks for squatting.

Then again, he was using the smith because two guys were trading off curl sets in the squat bar. They were grumpy too, got whiny when I made a joke about how dangerous curls were.
  • JoshD8705
    Options

For calf raises. ;)

Yeah, a lot. He's one of two other guys I see, who like me, use the squat racks for squatting.

Then again, he was using the smith because two guys were trading off curl sets in the squat bar. They were grumpy too, got whiny when I made a joke about how dangerous curls were.

It only gets worse over the next few months. The resolutionist will be there, with no gym etiquette, curling everywhere they shouldn't be.

Or worse, I had a guy that kept walking right infront of me as I was trying to put down 135lbs clean and clear strict presses. I guess I need to switch to a rack, but I like the full combination. I was in a nice isolated area it was just a slightly short path to his friends I guess O_o
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

You can start out with a broomstick or similar rather than starting with the bar. Then you can practice form with almost no risk of injury. And, you can do that at home, so you don't need to be self-conscious about not knowing what you're doing.

By the time you pick up the bar, you should be decently familiar with the lift.

You can also video yourself performing lifts and post them for a form check, if you have a hard time getting in-person help.
  • dbmata
    Options

For calf raises. ;)

It only gets worse over the next few months. The resolutionist will be there, with no gym etiquette, curling everywhere they shouldn't be.

Or worse, I had a guy that kept walking right infront of me as I was trying to put down 135lbs clean and clear strict presses. I guess I need to switch to a rack, but I like the full combination. I was in a nice isolated area it was just a slightly short path to his friends I guess O_o

lol, truth, there will be hard times ahead. For the ones that stick it out to summer, good... I mean we all started somewhere.

These guys also kept trying to juke around me while I was deadlifting 320 and distracting me because they kept almost dancing into the bar. So I gave them a little crap, and then went full whiny pants. Oh well.

OH, OP - don't ever squat in the curl rack. ;)
  • maddisondavey
    maddisondavey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I didnt read all the other replies so I don't know if someone already said this, but does your gym offer classes? If so see if there is a weights class for example Les Mills Pump or anything similar, classes are a great way to learn because are shown/told exactly what to do, and for the most part there aren't serious lifters in them, so everyone will be just a new to lifting as you. If you don't have classes available I would suggest either talking to a trainer at the gym about a complementary session (most gyms offer them, they'd rather spend 30 mins with you then have you get hurt lifting wrong or break a machine), or watch videos on youtube, and look at other websites people suggested above. Also dont worry about looking like a fool going into the weights room, everyone is too interested in what theyre doing to be watching you, even if it feels like they are haha good luck :)
  • danibrosseau
    Options

OH, OP - don't ever squat in the curl rack. ;)

*nods and smiles* yep, because I totally know what that is..
  • dbmata
    Options
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ..Anyone have any advice on how to ask a cutie at the gym for assistance? I've never seen a female in our weight room, so a male it must be. "Hey, I'm new to free-lifting. Would you mind showing me how you do it?" seems so... so lame.

Are there any personal trainers working there? or staff who will help you. Even if they charge for one session it will be worth it.
    I've seen so many people with bad technique or using machines wrongly (even students on the university teams using the gym) - you stand a good chance of getting bad info and injuring yourself.

• dbmata
    Options
    That's the truth.
  • danibrosseau
    Options
    We do have personal trainers available.. but there's stigma attached. I hear a lot of harsh comments floating around about people who get a trainer. :| worth it?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    We do have personal trainers available.. but there's stigma attached. I hear a lot of harsh comments floating around about people who get a trainer. :| worth it?

Not really to me. I just watched videos and taught myself what I wanted to know.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I work twice a week with a strength coach. I'm also now squatting, deadlifting, and benching more than most people in my gym, as a newbie.

I guess if the stigma is, "getting *kitten* done," I fulfill it.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    A consult with a trainer to work on form in the beginning will be absolutely fine. The problem lies when they have no idea about proper form, or what kind of program you're looking to get into - and they just try and put all clients on the same track/program regardless of individual goals. I know I see a lot people working with trainers at my gym and I just want to offer to be their workout buddy - there's too much laughing/smiling/talking/not sweating going on for my liking. Plus I always check out women to see who looks like they could play football :p