diets

Options
quakegirlobrien1
quakegirlobrien1 Posts: 21
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Just wondering if anyone has tried this diet? and if it has worked or if its just a fad diet

The diet specifies a low calorie consumption (sometimes described as "fasting") for two days a week, which should not be consecutive, but allows unmoderated[4][5] eating for the other five days.[6] Men may eat 600 calories (2,500 kJ) on fasting days, and women 500 calories (2,100 kJ).[7] A typical fasting day may include a breakfast of 300 calories (1,300 kJ), such as two scrambled eggs with ham, water, green tea, or black coffee, and a lunch or dinner of grilled fish or meat with vegetables, amounting to 300 calories.[

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    There are even groups around here somewhere.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I don't like being told what and how much I can eat.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad idea, but if I could eat whatever I wanted five days a week, I'd gain lots and lots of weight, even if I ate nothing the other two days.

I'm also much more focused on "What happens when I'm done losing?" than just losing the weight. Starving twice a week is not a plan that I'd stick with forever and I'm not sure how healthy it is, either.
  • BrittTomore87
    BrittTomore87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do somewhat of the opposite. I count and I guess kind of fast 5-6 days out of the week and then have 1-2 days of more relaxed eating but keeping it still pretty controlled. I know some people love it and have success but that is only if they don't eat whatever on the days they don't fast and still keep it healthy
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I started on 5:2 then changed to alternate day fasting. I've lost 8kgs in less than 2mths. Around 17ish lbs
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Any "diet" will work if you eat below your TDEE. If you like the idea of starving once or twice a week then go ahead, personally I prefer to eat until I am full every day while being below my TDEE.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    That's the 5:2 diet, I have a friend who does it and she's lost in two years what I've lost in two months... I suggest you simply try to lose weight the MFP way: let it calculate a calorie goal for you and give you protein/fat/carbs goals for each day. I haven't cut out any foods, I'm just watching my portions now and meeting my MFP goals. Good luck honey!
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now. It does work. Right now I'm off because of the holiday. Returning next week. Currently, I lose a 1lb a week. It's called 5:2. The other good one is Dr. Johnson's Up Day Down Day (Alternate Day Fasting). This one's easier to me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    This type of eating plan would not work well for me, but it does work for a lot of people due to being disciplined. The only reason it works for weight loss is due to the calorie deficit, but that can be accomplished with any type of eating plan.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    For me, it's easier to restrict my calories a few times a week, rather than obsessing over it each and every day. Whatever I can't eat today, I can have tomorrow whether it fits within my calorie goal or not ;)