I feel bad when I feel full and great when I'm hungry

Options
IamLilith93
IamLilith93 Posts: 4 Member
edited November 2014 in Motivation and Support
I have this problem for quite some time now.
Every time I eat, I feel bad, and if I feel full after eating this bad feeling grows and becomes a feeling of quilt and shame. I'm scared I'll gain weight again, even though I'm eating around 1000 cal a day.
By the way, I'm 21, 5' 11'' and 163 lbs and I've lost 24 lbs so far.
I just feel like I have this horrible relationship with food and I'm having a negative attitude towards eating.

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Go talk to a professional. Eating 1000 calories is not healthy, and feeling good when you are hungry is defi itely not normal. Please get help fast. Btw, you are at a normal weight for your height and age.....
  • IamLilith93
    Options
    I just want to try to fight this on my own, if possible. I just need some advice on where to start, how to do this. Is it even possible for me to do this on my own?
    I've been on and off diets all my life, I just never thought it would come to this. :\
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I can understand your feelings. There is an exhilaration from the feeling that you will lose weight and are skinny. Then you eat and aren't so sure. Is that it?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Self help books or simply stop counting calories for a while. Or maybe eat a proper amount (will probably be at least 1600) but don't weigh yourself for at least a month.

But I've never had this experience, so I can't say if those would work. I only ever felt bad when I was "eating clean" and would eat something "not clean." I got over this by not eating clean and eating anything I want within my macro needs and thus calorie needs.

So our situations are not the same. Since you say you've been dieting your whole life (I'm assuming yo-yo diets?) then it's probably time to stop thinking about dieting and to think about maintaining your weight until you can feel comfortable eating a proper amount.
  • IamLilith93
    Options
    Uhm, yeah, it's something like that. But it got to a point where I get sooo nervous when it's time for me to eat, every meal is a struggle, and on the other hand feeling hungry is, well, exhilarating.
    I know it's unhealthy, I'm aware of that, I just need some guidance on how to deal with it.
  • kvelcro
    Options
    Try to remind yourself that food is fuel.

Fuel to help you study, to work, to play. It is very necessary and a lack of it effects your state of mind / emotions.

For me personally, there was this disconnect with how I viewed food. I use to rarely eat breakfast and accidentally on-purpose fast, and then I would have a heavy meal late in the day because I could sort of justify it.

Now, I actually eat more, but I have tons energy and it's easier for me to focus. Food is energy. No food is fatigue, no food is dragging your tired body to class and draping on the desk like old laundry.
  • IamLilith93
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers and advice. <3
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Hon, this is how eating disorders creep up and take over your life. Is it really not possible to talk to a doctor?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This is definitely leaning toward eating disorder behavior. A professional would honestly be a good idea. Not to say you can't fix it yourself, but mental issues have a sneaky habit of becoming normal without you realizing it.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I can appreciate you saying you want to defeat this on your own. If so, start reading up on the topic, mainly about forming a healthy relationship with food. As already mentioned, try to learn to view it as fuel and necessary and yes, enjoyable. But, don't focus on it; overthinking things can amplify them unnecessarily. Set your daily eating plan (at a healthy calorie level) and just do it without letting yourself think about every bite. Good luck!