FitBit Flex vs Garmin Vivofit

Options
I want to buy one of these but unsure which one. Does anyone have any experience with both of them or knowledge of comparing the features? Thank You.

Replies

• IKnowStuff2
    IKnowStuff2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I bought the flex first, at first I was ok with it but didn't especially like that it only had little lights for my progress and so I had to sync in order to see where I was at in the middle of the day, I also didn't like having to charge it frequently. So, I took it back and got vivo fit, it has a watch on it, (no backlight) it also lets you scroll through to see where your at, how much you have (or haven't) accomplished. But, then decided I wanted one with a heart-rate monitor, so I took that vivo fit back and exchanged it for the vivo fit that includes a heart rate monitor. I have compared my distance and steps with an app called iTreadmill and map my walk and they all come out pretty close. You can use the flex and vivo fit with MFP. Once I got used to the vivo fit I am really happy this is what I settled on. I had the flex for a week I thought in the beginning this is really what I wanted, but I am much happier with the vivofit. The battery is good for about a year, and you can replace it yourself. It's waterproof keeps track of sleep, you need to manually tell it to sleep. I set for sleep at 10:30 and I know I don't fall asleep then but it shows movement for sleep and I just ignore high movement because I know I was awake. It also tells calories burned steps taken, left to take, distance. I prefer this over little lights for progress indicators. It also has an annoying red bar that implies you've been on your butt too long so if you get up and walk or jog in place a few minutes it goes away for an hour and will come back if you don't do anything. I use the heart rate monitor when I am exercising. The price was 129.00 for just the vivo fit and 169.00 for vivo fit with monitor. Personally I am happy wit it. I have had it about 2 1/2 month.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have a flex and like it. However, if I were buying one right now, I'd get the Garmin. My reasons:

Garmin has a display - Flex does not
    Garmin can connect to Garmin HRM - Flex cannot connect to HRM
    Garmin is rated 5ATM water resistance (50 meters) - Flex can be submerged 10 meters

• 52isit
    52isit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. A BIG help!
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I had a fitbit-one and replaced it with the Garmin 15. To me there is no comparision the Garmin does a lot more,especially with Garmin Connect.
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've got a fitbit flex, but will go for a vivofit or one of the new fitbits, with the HRM when it is available, should my flex die.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just wish the Vivofit had the ability to set a vibrating alarm. I need that to jolt me into action during the day to take my walks.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I got the Vivofit with HRM. DH got the fitbit flex. I think DH would probably go with Vivofit now if he were bothered. The fitbit needs a lot of charging, and the vivofit doesn't need any for up to a year, plus it's waterproof (within reason), has the get-moving red bars, and shows your total steps on the device. The HRM is cool, but only if you want to use an HRM in the first place (I do, but DH doesn't). The vivofit looks chunkier, but I don't really care about that.
  • nlehe
    nlehe Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So the Vivofit DOES sync with MFP? I've read that it's not compatible, but I do see it on the apps page. Would love confirmation from someone who has it! Thanks! Also, can you sync with other friends with Vivofit? I've heard you can do that with Fitbit.
  • RKW54
    RKW54 Posts: 2
    Options
    (I posted this on another thread, but also wanted to reply here)
    I just got one and couldn't get to talk to computer via Garmin Express, didn't want to talk to dongle, so downloaded Garmin Connect on phone, and reads perfectly via Bluetooth, then the data is synched to computer. So use MFP for diet, etc and cross link with Garmin Connect.

I chose the Vivofit, cause I use an Edge800 on bike, and Forerunner 910XT for swimming and running, so all info is on one platform. In essence the Vivofit is to give me data for all the time between sessions. I have a pretty sedentary job, and it reminds me to move regularly. I also use a Tatana 1000 scale that gives me pretty good body metrics and again feeds in to Garmin Connect.

In summary though I found the easiest is to link to MFP via Garmin Connect
  • kharmon2013
    kharmon2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes vivo fit connects to MFP :) I use it, and I love mine. I like that it's a watch too, so I don't have to wear a watch too. I like swimming and it keeps track of that activity too, it's a really nice tool to have.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    nlehe wrote: »
    So the Vivofit DOES sync with MFP? I've read that it's not compatible, but I do see it on the apps page. Would love confirmation from someone who has it! Thanks! Also, can you sync with other friends with Vivofit? I've heard you can do that with Fitbit.

The sync with Vivofit is fairly recent, within the last 6 months. I'm sure plenty of threads or reviews on it still has the old information.