Long Cardio Sessions for de-bulking muscle?

Options
anlenz
anlenz Posts: 26 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone been successful with de-bulking muscle by doing long cardio sessions? If so how long were your sessions and what activity did it consist of?

I'm trying to lose inches in my calves and thighs so that they are more proportionate with the rest of my body. I've already lost 2.5" from both thighs and 0" from my calves. I've also lost ~3% body fat so.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    wat?
  • Haythen
    Options
    If you want nice lean legs you should run long distances. Foam rolling will also help shape your thigh muscles and make them more longer and healthier.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    cannot spot reduce.

running is great for concentric calf work.

edited: because sarcasm on the internet doesn't work.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    cannot spot reduce.

running is great for my calves. That's a lot of plantar flexing .....pushing off the ground after terminal stance..... working that gastroc... just add hills and your calf would grow more!

She's trying to lose muscle in her legs, not grow...though I don't really know why
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    She's trying to lose muscle in her legs, not grow...though I don't really know why

I'm being totally rude over the internet. :(
  • arditarose
    Options
    cannot spot reduce.

running is great for my calves. That's a lot of plantar flexing .....pushing off the ground after terminal stance..... working that gastroc... just add hills and your calf would grow more!

OP is trying to LOSE muscle from calves so that they are smaller.

OP, you either need to lose fat, or get over it. I don't understand why you're trying to lose muscle.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    anlenz wrote: »
    Anyone been successful with losing muscle by doing long cardio sessions? If so how long were your sessions and what activity did it consist of?

I'm trying to lose inches in my calves and thighs so that they are more proportionate with the rest of my body. I've already lost 2.5" from both thighs and 0" from my calves. I've also lost ~3% body fat so far.

Here's a plan, sit and watch tv all day and eat about 10-20g or protein a day while running a caloric deficit. Your muscles will atrophy just like you want them to.
  • arditarose
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Anyone been successful with losing muscle by doing long cardio sessions? If so how long were your sessions and what activity did it consist of?

I'm trying to lose inches in my calves and thighs so that they are more proportionate with the rest of my body. I've already lost 2.5" from both thighs and 0" from my calves. I've also lost ~3% body fat so far.

Here's a plan, sit and watch tv all day and eat about 10-20g or protein a day while running a caloric deficit. Your muscles will atrophy just like you want them to.

There ya go.

• Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You don't really want to loose muscle you want to strengthen and tighten it. As muscle first grows it pumps up with water and blood but as you strengthen you may be able to shrink and tighten it. Calves are an area that can take lots of work to change. If your not adding calories it cant grow.
    I'm super strong and I have seen myself shrink as I got stronger. Areas that I work on did shrink. It is possible to sculpt your body with weight training and diet. Try the stair climber and use your calves. Sometimes its hard to do but is possible.
  • anlenz
    Options
    Kiyy wrote: »
    You don't really want to loose muscle you want to strengthen and tighten it. As muscle first grows it pumps up with water and blood but as you strengthen you may be able to shrink and tighten it. Calves are an area that can take lots of work to change. If your not adding calories it cant grow.
    I'm super strong and I have seen myself shrink as I got stronger. Areas that I work on did shrink. It is possible to sculpt your body with weight training and diet. Try the stair climber and use your calves. Sometimes its hard to do but is possible.

Thank for your response. You're right. I'm trying to achieve leaner calf muscles and thigh muscles. I'm not looking for heavy weight lifting or bodybuilding to increase the size of my muscles. So maybe I should be adding in yoga for lengthening of the muscles.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Kiyy wrote: »

Thank for your response. You're right. I'm trying to achieve leaner calf muscles and thigh muscles. I'm not looking for heavy weight lifting or bodybuilding to increase the size of my muscles. So maybe I should be adding in yoga for lengthening of the muscles.

You can lift as heavy as you want. You're in a caloric defict, you're not gaining muscle mass. Your legs are looking larger than you want because you are probably not at a low enough body fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    You cannot change genetics. If you're predisposed to having bigger calves and thighs, then there really isn't much you can to do change that, with the exception of not using them at all so they can atrophy.
    Also there are NO EXERCISE programs that "lengthen" the muscles. Muscles are attached at point from birth barring any surgical procedures.
    First try lowering your body fat, then go from there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TyphonRex
    TyphonRex Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This thread so far.. wowsas.

OP: If you're big, you're gonna have giant calves to move that weight around. Period. Depending on how your body stores fat, you might have thick legs and cankles. No spot treatments will help any of that.
  • anlenz
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You cannot change genetics. If you're predisposed to having bigger calves and thighs, then there really isn't much you can to do change that, with the exception of not using them at all so they can atrophy.
    Also there are NO EXERCISE programs that "lengthen" the muscles. Muscles are attached at point from birth barring any surgical procedures.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This post was me trying to figure out how to proceed next as I have lowered my body fat and have see excellent results in the rest of my body. Since you are a personal trainer, what should my body caliper reading be at my calves in order "to go from there"?
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This post was me trying to figure out how to proceed next as I have lowered my body fat and have see excellent results in the rest of my body. Since you are a personal trainer, what should my body caliper reading be at my calves in order "to go from there"?

I'm not a personal trainer but I have pretty much the same problem spots as you. The poster @typhonrex was right. It's how your body stores fat. I had a dexa scan done previously which showed where my body fat was.

Not surprisingly, most of my fat was concentrated around my arms, hips, thighs and calves and none around my torso area. As others have said, you can't spot reduce and it may not be possible to reduce body fat percentage so much that you can see lost inches in the calves.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You cannot change genetics and you can't spot reduce. Cardio will help you burn fat. Swimming is good for developing your longer muscles, but you have to watch out for overbuilding your shoulders.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Anyone been successful with de-bulking muscle by doing long cardio sessions? If so how long were your sessions and what activity did it consist of?

I'm trying to lose inches in my calves and thighs so that they are more proportionate with the rest of my body. I've already lost 2.5" from both thighs and 0" from my calves. I've also lost ~3% body fat so.

Endurance athletes (cyclists and runners) typically develop lean physiques because their performance centers around the power to weight ratio. At some point, the power has been developed to one's genetic limit, so the weight is shed to improve the power to weight ratio so there is "less" to haul up the hill. Running a deficit of your calories, and doing enough endurance cardio will eventually not only burn the fat, but start to burn muscle as well. Ballerinas do the same as they must maintain a very low body weight to be lifted.

How long are the sessions? 12 - 30 hours a week would probably fit the norm for most of these top athletes. Non professionals would probably target getting at least one 3 - 4 hour session in per week (usually on weekends). A lot of 90 - 120 minute sessions mixed in the week as well, with one day off per week.

Top pros in their field are very lean, and all muscle mass not needed for their performance has been "de-bulked"...

12392407463_187e168b35.jpg

12376139013_fbd210319f.jpg

12375115284_ea71a0e6a9.jpg

12369682985_2eca9e512c.jpg

12369690363_54e53c3d5b.jpg

12369980034_975a68ee49.jpg

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ^^ those are terrifying pictures.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

They all have made 7 figures in their peak years. So to be at the top of their craft, I guess they decided the pay to play was worth it. ;-)

The endurance athlete at that level is a different breed of performance and mind.

• arditarose
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

They all have made 7 figures in their peak years. So to be at the top of their craft, I guess they decided the pay to play was worth it. ;-)

Thank you for that post. I have some reading to do. Interesting.