Anyone had issue with thyroid

Options
Does anyone have issue with thyroid underfunction. Hypothyroidism. Did hormone replacement have impact on losing weight quicker for you? Just wondering as I just got diagnosed,waiting for another blood test to see if the levels have improved if not I will have to take hormone replacements.

Replies

• GinaNation
    GinaNation Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was just searching for the same thing! 9 months of fighting this thing and only *now* is it finally showing up enough in my blood work to warrant my endo's attention. I desperately want to know if taking a hormone replacement (synthroid or whatever) will help my metabolism go back to normal. I just want to regain the ability to lose weight again.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Well I wasn't dieting when I started on synthroid, and I didn't drop any weight, nor did it stop me from putting on more weight. Does it help me now that I am counting calories and exercising? I am losing, but there is no way to know if I would lose slower without the synthroid or not, sorry.
  • svetlana1974
    svetlana1974 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Blankifinder its good to know that you are losing weight. Myself, I have been working out for the last 5 months or so and watching my diet but I was not losing much. I am really glad that there is answer to my problem and I am very determined to start losing weight properly.GinaNation I went and did some research on hormone replacement therapy and what I found out is as long as you get proper amount of hormone your body will go back to normal self and you should be able to lose weight.
  • msKoach
    Options
    Then I must be at the improper amount of synthroid. Still have a hard time losing weight. Though I have an appt on Monday to see if my thyroid needs to be removed due to goiters. So that could be part of the problem?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't have a thyroid. I lose weight. :)

In fact, I didn't even begin losing until they took it out and started me on the Synthroid. I couldn't lose! Now I can. It's wonderful. When people ask me what I did or what I'm doing, Synthroid always gets credit first, lol. I work hard! I exercise. I wouldn't lose without the exercise. The pill just makes it possible to lose, it doesn't mean I don't have to work every bit as hard (or harder) than other people. But I can lose now and that's HUGE for me. :grinning:

Not everyone is as lucky as I am, but just so you know - some people can lose, even with hypothyroid issues. :)
  • monicabroadbentswearingen
    Options
    Have had Thyroid issues for 10 yrs. Taking the medicine keeps you alive. With out it you can die. I guess my first question would be, have you recently had any other medical issues such as surgery's severe illness. These things can change your Thyroid levels a lot. If so I would wait a couple of months and get it rechecked and see were your at then. Many people with Thyroid issues use it as an excuse for not being able to lose weight. I know for the last 10 yrs. that was my excuse. That's exactly what it is "an excuse". Yes it is harder and a lot more work. What it comes down to is a permanent life style change that you make. Not a diet. We need exercise and proper food calories to lose weight. I see a Doctor that specializes in Weight loss with people with underlined issues such as Thyroid. This has been the best decision I have ever made in my life. If you check into it you might have one in your area that does this also. They look at you as a whole person. I haven't weigh this weight in 15yrs. It feels great to know their is help out there. I hope this helps you out. If you have any question that I could help with please feel free to contact me, I would love to help you if I can. This is definitely something we all need support with. Good luck :)
  • sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My nephrologist said I had hypoparathyroidism. He gave me calcitrol but I can't take it because it made my feet and legs swell so much that I could not hardly walk. Going back this week so I hope to find out more about this.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My nephrologist said I had hypoparathyroidism. He gave me calcitrol but I can't take it because it made my feet and legs swell so much that I could not hardly walk. Going back this week so I hope to find out more about this.
    I have no parathyroids, either. Lots of calcium for me!! Lots of D, too, since I have D issues.

Get that in check. You do not want the pseudogout pain that comes after your body leeches too much calcium from your bones! It can get quite painful and makes sleeping impossible. Plus, you don't want your body constantly breaking your bones down, lol. :)
  • svetlana1974
    svetlana1974 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers. I will be looking into doing as many tests as I can regarding my thyroid issue. I need answers, I need to know what happened with my body,why do I have this problem. Naturopaths are also great resource for people with these kind of issues. They have amazing tests that can be done to help find out what the underlying issue is. Thank you all,you are all great source of information too. I will be posting when I find out more about my condition and what contributed to it.
  • FitFoodieFla
    FitFoodieFla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I had a total thyroidectomy a few years ago. I have struggled with medication (Synthroid T4 and Cytomel T3) - and let's add perimenopause in for kicks! - and now I'm getting more balanced at last. The key is becoming very well-informed and self-aware, if you ask me. I'm getting there. I'm exercising with a new trainer and working with a nutritionist to really figure out the right mix for me to lose fat and get fit!
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have an under-active Thyroid, but I'm losing weight just fine the MFP way! In fact I do too well some weeks (3lbs rather than my 2lbs goal)... For me it's a hereditary thing, my grandfather and my dad both had/have the same issue unfortunately.
  • FaridPERU
    FaridPERU Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You can try the supplement Guggulterones, is for thyroid production
  • cwlsr
    cwlsr Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I will make it short! I have been without a thyroid for over 5 years and you can lose weight if you take a positive attitude that you want to be healthy and not just lose weight. The key is where your doctor and you keep track of your readings. I have been on Synthroid for this whole period and stayed at the same hormone level during that time. If you take Synthroid then take it first thing in the morning without any food for 30 minutes because protein will mess up the dosage.

It seems that walking for exercise has a positive effect since you are getting the right amount of hormone that your body needs if you want to lose weight.
    The best to you.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have issue with thyroid underfunction. Hypothyroidism. Did hormone replacement have impact on losing weight quicker for you? Just wondering as I just got diagnosed,waiting for another blood test to see if the levels have improved if not I will have to take hormone replacements.

I have heard that hormone replacement therapy does work to fix a LOT of problems in the body. I will caution you though to make sure you are getting bio-identical hormones. The problem with HRT is they give you a pill that's made up of horse piss. Bio-identical hormones are just that: identical.

I would try this route prior to taking ANY medications.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was struggling to lose weight (gained 60 lbs in 3 months :o ) and they found a tumor on mine. It was taken out and after I was started on Levothyroxine I started dropping the lbs with no changes. But I've always been active and eating healthy.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have issue with thyroid underfunction. Hypothyroidism. Did hormone replacement have impact on losing weight quicker for you?

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Thyroid meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I kept gaining & gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.

MFP has a hypothyroidism & hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism