calories vs. net calories

Options
Should you focus on your total calories consumed or your net calories?

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    If you're following the mfp way, focus on net calories.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I focus on total calories consumed...i don't exercise on a regular basis...i play tennis a few times a week lately and that is all....to maintain which i have done for about 9 months i don't eat back any exercise calories and stay around 1350 calories on average a day
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You can do it either way. If you set your goal using MFP's help, they assume you will use net calories and log exercises. If you set your goal by determining your TDEE and do not log individual exercises, then you focus on total calories. There are pro's and con's to both methods, and both work. In either method, if weight loss stops for a significant period of time, you either need to eat less, exercise more, or both.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    You need to find what works for you. I focus on net calories and log my exercise.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Astrology might be helpful.

I'm not sure what you mean by "focus."

Everyone uses those exercise calories differently. Try eating half of them back and see how it goes.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Since I stopped logging calories lost during exercise, I pretty much just look at the end result. (Doesn't mean I stopped exercising! :smiley: ) If I go over, I go over. I am not sure if it's working yet, because I don't have a scale here with me, but sometimes I feel better. Probably at the end of the year, I'm going to do measurements.