Lost 60 LBS, but I Look Like I Lost 15. Anyone Else?

Options
So I've lost about 60 lbs so far, but based on my face and stomach, I literally look like I lost 15. I started losing at 212 and now I weigh 154. I've compared a 154 lb picture to a picture from before I gained the weight when I weighed 180 and I actually look skinnier in the 180 picture if you look at my face and mid-section. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I continue to try to lose weight or should I just give up because my body clearly only loses muscle?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights....oh and NEVER give up!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Do you eat enough/enough protein? Also, seconding the heavy lifting.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    ? worried about losing muscle? lift heavy things or do body weight exercise. Continue losing fat by eating at a reasonable deficit. Grats on the loss! I also recommend taking measurements (waist, thigh, etc) biweekly or monthly or w/e.
  • fatasfack
    fatasfack Posts: 77 Member
    Options

I have eaten at least 40 grams of protein a day. The first month of weight loss I ate probably 10 grams and lost 20 lbs. After that month I've averaged about 40.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You probably look better than you think, lol.

I do know the pain of losing a lot and not looking like you thought you would at that point. Partly loose skin, partly age. The last time I weighed this amount, I was like 20 years old, lol. I cannot expect to look now like I did then!

If muscle is a big concern, lift weights or do bodyweight stuff. It's good for your bones, too. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    fatasfack wrote: »

I have eaten at least 40 grams of protein a day. The first month of weight loss I ate probably 10 grams and lost 20 lbs. After that month I've averaged about 40.

you should be getting about 130-150 g of protein a day, not 40 grams.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I do know the pain of losing a lot and not looking like you thought you would at that point. Partly loose skin, partly age. The last time I weighed this amount, I was like 20 years old, lol. I cannot expect to look now like I did then!

If muscle is a big concern, lift weights or do bodyweight stuff. It's good for your bones, too. :)

Hi, I gained the weight when I was 30 and now I'm 32. Could those 2 years totally reconfigure where fat is distributed in my face and how much of it is in my face?
  • fatasfack
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Whoa, If I aimed for that much I would never have lost a pound. If a chicken breast is about 40 grams of protein and about 400 calories without skin then I would have to eat 4 of those just to meet that requirement. Doesn't that seem excessive?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

Whoa, If I aimed for that much I would never have lost a pound. If a chicken breast is about 40 grams of protein and about 400 calories without skin then I would have to eat 4 of those just to meet that requirement. Doesn't that seem excessive?

NOPE
    You need to maintain muscle and it sounds like, as I already mentioned you need to build muscle. You need protein. I'm 135 5'3ish and I try to get 130-150 g of protein a day.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

NOPE
    You need to maintain muscle and it sounds like, as I already mentioned you need to build muscle. You need protein. I'm 135 5'3ish and I try to get 130-150 g of protein a day.

Yeah I second that. I would not last with just 40gr of protein a day. 150 is a bit much for me but I try to get in 120 a day with food.

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    40g of protein a day is not enough, especially for a man, and especially not when you're trying to retain muscle.

Lift heavy weights, increase your protein goal (I'd aim for at least 100g a day). I was able to easily get about 120g a day when I was more serious about lifting, so you can definitely do it. Also, make sure you're eating enough and logging accurately. Protein shakes are helpful. Snack on things like pieces of chicken, greek yogurt, and string cheese.
  • fatasfack
    Options

NOPE

I will try to get more then. I applaud you for being able to get that much without going over your calorie limit. That's really impressive to have that much control over what you eat. I have no control, hence why I gained 60 lbs in the first place.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

What is your overall calorie consumption? Protein isn't just meat. It's eggs, cheese, quinoa, fish, milk, vegetables, etc. I don't know what your meals are like but if you add 40gr to each meal then you will easily hit 120gr by the end of the day. It will also keep you full.

Perhaps you need to adjust your macros and, yes, strength train for that tight, compact look.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

There are more protein sources than chicken breast. I eat anywhere from 90-150 grams of protein a day, and my average calorie intake is 1550. I have an aggressive deficit.
    As of today I've lost 60 pounds exactly. It's very noticeable, and I weigh more than you did at your starting weight.
    Your protein is very low, especially for a man, how are you not hungry? Your diet must be very carb-heavy.

• biffmon
    biffmon Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Basic rule of thumb is 1 gram of protein per pound give or take. I'm 189 I have about 170 grams of protein per day and I'm down 40lbs. The interesting thing about high protein foods is that they tend to have less calories and carbs (again a bit of generalization). Combine that with the fact that protein makes you feel fuller, longer it's a great thing to eat. 250 grams of chicken carries about 51 grams of protein. Your average chicken breast is less than 250 grams in size and closer to about 250 calories not 400.

Search for M&M Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast in MFP and you can see for yourself.

40 grams of protein is not nearly enough - especially if you start lifting heavy weights. You need the protein for the building and repair of the muscle. Keep in mind if you start working out heavier and harder you're actually going to need more food - especially if you want to build muscle.

My 2 cents.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

It's true. I had to lose 100 pound before I started feeling like I've lost enough weight to make a difference in my look, and even now I feel myself to be fatter than I used to be in 2002, when I was 15 pounds higher than I am now.

You can't choose where your fat melts first, so it may just be the case of losing fat from areas that you tend not to pay attention to. Just keep at it and you will eventually get to a point where you start noticing a difference.
  • fatasfack
    Options

What is your overall calorie consumption? Protein isn't just meat. It's eggs, cheese, quinoa, fish, milk, vegetables, etc. I don't know what your meals are like but if you add 40gr to each meal then you will easily hit 120gr by the end of the day. It will also keep you full.

Perhaps you need to adjust your macros and, yes, strength train for that tight, compact look.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot, but I eat too many carbs to hit the protein requirement, I think.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

There are more protein sources than chicken breast. I eat anywhere from 90-150 grams of protein a day, and my average calorie intake is 1550. I have an aggressive deficit.
    As of today I've lost 60 pounds exactly. It's very noticeable, and I weigh more than you did at your starting weight.
    Your protein is very low, especially for a man, how are you not hungry? Your diet must be very carb-heavy.

Wow, good job. I am starving all the time. My diet is very carb heavy. I guess I'm eating all the junk I used to eat and I now less protein so that I can hit my calorie requirement.
  • fatasfack
    Options

It's true. I had to lose 100 pound before I started feeling like I've lost enough weight to make a difference in my look, and even now I feel myself to be fatter than I used to be in 2002, when I was 15 pounds higher than I am now.

You can't choose where your fat melts first, so it may just be the case of losing fat from areas that you tend not to pay attention to. Just keep at it and you will eventually get to a point where you start noticing a difference.

It's good to hear that someone had the same issue. Unfotunately, I'm 15 pounds away from being underweight, so if I don't look right in 15 lbs, I'm stuck this way for the rest of my life. Also, If I lose those 15 lbs, my daily calorie max will be 1900 which is pretty tough to maintain for a guy who is 6 feet tall. I'm afraid I'm probably stuck this way forever
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Hi, I gained the weight when I was 30 and now I'm 32. Could those 2 years totally reconfigure where fat is distributed in my face and how much of it is in my face?
    Obviously not age for you.

I have the feeling if you ask others, they'll see you differently than you see you.

General protein rule: .8g/kg of body weight/day. Athletes from 1.2 - 1.7/kg BW/day.

I never hit my number. It's hard for me. Working on it!