New Member and a Vegetarian

Options
I sure could use any advice or meal plan ideas. I have about 60 pounds to lose, and due to health problems find regular exercise programs difficult to follow.

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I'm a pescatarian and I started out with about 45-50 to lose. I don't really do a meal plan per say, but I eat alot of the same things over and over again. Plain oatmeal with vanilla extract, cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp of brown sugar for breakfast.

Tuna, and./or a salad an/, PB sandwhich and apples, carrots, plain yogurt (add my own fruit), cottage cheese (low fat, add my own fruit), or soup for lunch.

Dinners I eat a lot of spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes, beans, veggie chilli, stir fries, sometimes veggie burgers, salads, fresh veggies, and sometimes breakfast.
  • ittzings
    ittzings Posts: 7
    Options
    If you eat dairy, Greek yogurt has a ton of protein, and so is very filling. With some fruit, it makes a great breakfast.
  • ssernst
    ssernst Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm also a pescatarian working toward veganism. (It's so hard, I love shrimp and crab legs!)

I usually have oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, at lunch I eat a lot of Amy's vegan burritos or soup. I work during the day so I have been bad about buying frozen meals. I also like the vegan Kashi meals. Dinner consists of brown rice and veggies or a baked potato. Weekends are a little more varied.

Feel free to friend me if you like. IRL I don't have many veggie friends, and would love the support here.

Best of luck!
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm a long time vegan. My usual day's menu is oatmeal and fruit or applesauce for breakfast, an Amy's frozen meal for lunch, and a homemade dinner of whatever sounds fun or interesting. I find what works best for me is to eat small meals for breakfast and lunch so I can have one big meal. Not everyone works that way though. I also have been having a lot of fun trying new recipes from the web or the Veganomicon cookbook. Making something new keeps me from getting in too much of a rut. Food should be fun and not just all about minimizing calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you have health issues, you should really check with your doctor to establish the best diet and exercise program for you. No one will no better what will and won't work for your needs than someone familiar with your medical history.
  • TravelorMarjorie
    Options
    We have a whole shelf of vegetarian cookbooks, they are one of my favorite gifts to receive. I love trying new recipes. My doctor has already approved my diet and exercise plans even though he thinks my protein levels are too low at times. My blood sugar levels have been excellent for 9 months now except when my pancreatitus first attacked. A1C levels are at 6%, the lowest they have been in 6 years! Exercise really makes a difference in my diabetes control.