Running races - question about pacing

Options
I am wondering about optimizing performance during races. I am not a fast runner - just ran a 5k today in 33:50, to give you perspective about my race time. I've done a bunch of 5k races and a few 10k. I always sprint to the finish line, for about the last .1 or .2 miles. I play tennis and so have developed leg muscles conducive with sprinting as a result of the tennis training that I do. Once I know in my head that the finish line is close, I go into an all-out sprint. I'm wondering if I should instead plan to go a tad faster throughout the entire race instead of saving my energy for that final sprint. My goal right now is to run a half marathon in 2015, so I would really like to just be able to run longer distances. Does anyone have any insight on whether it's better to go a tad faster throughout or whether it's best to save some for the end, given that my goal is to run longer distances and improve my time?

Replies

• stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I believe conventional method is to increase your pace in each km, so start of slow and keep building. I dont race much so i cant really say if it works or not. Id say your best bet is to slowly increase your average speed and still try to kill it at the end but im far from a pro, barely a novice
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'd work on building your aerobic endurance by running more easy miles. If you're running a 30+ minute 5K, deciding whether or not to execute a kick is a matter of misplaced priorities. A standard template for a 5K is mile 1 - starting out way too fast; mile 2 - getting yourself stabilized; mile 3 - all out effort.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Running more distance, regardless of speed, will make you faster. However, that doesn't mean there aren't things you can do while racing to help you run more efficiently.

Read this today from Coach Jenny Hadfield and thought it was super helpful (for a 5K at least):

"Take the four parts of the race and color them in with Yellow (Mile One), Orange (Mile Two), Red (Mile Three) and Fire (yes this is a color and it aptly represents the final .1 mile kick). Now, run by color – rather than your watch! The body doesn't know pace. It knows effort. Run by your breath and keep it easy for the Yellow Zone (Happy) or mile 1 – you should be able to talk. If you can't, slow down. For mile two, take it to the Orange Zone – or at an effort level a little harder than Yellow, and an effort where you can hear your breath, but you're not gasping for air. As you run past mile two, pick it up slightly and head for mile three. This is what you've paid for, and the time to go fishing. Cast out your invisible hook and catch a runner ahead of you (one that went out too quickly and is suffering the consequences) and reel them in (nicely!). There is nothing more empowering than to pass people in the final stages of a race. When you hit mile 3, run tall, keep your effort, and prepare for your finish line dance. When you have the patience to pace yourself from within and from the start, you will have the strength to finish like a super hero."
  • ChrisC8181
    ChrisC8181 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips! This is all great advice.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You might want to focus on the two goals independently. Meaning, if you are wanting to improve distance it might be better to focus on distance before focusing on the overall pace combined with your distance. Improving your 5k time by itself will translate to a better half marathon time, even if you do not sustain your 5k pace for 13.1 miles. There are a ton of articles about Fartlek and speed training as part of half marathon training. Also people find a lot of pace benefits from occasionally splitting their long runs, i.e. doing 3 miles in the morning and 3 miles in the evening.

The number one thing that has improved my overall pace is strength training. I went from 13:08 min/mile 10k PR to a 12:21 min/mile 10k PR after adding in strength/cross training.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I let my heart rate tell me what to do. All my training is done with an HRM, so I am able to gauge my level of effort against my current heart rate. From personal experience, I know that I can maintain 140-142 bpm for an entire marathon, while maintaining about an 8 minute mile. It will fluctuate a bit depending on hills and wind. I'm still working on decreasing my marathon time, so my training is geared towards increasing the speed I can maintain at 140 bpm. I always like to finish strong across the finish line, so I like to pick up the pace for that last .1 to .2.