Lost 60 LBS, but I Look Like I Lost 15. Anyone Else?

Options
Hi, I tried asking this question earlier, but nobody really answered the question I was asking so here it is again.So I've lost about 60 lbs so far, but based on my face and stomach, I literally look like I lost 15. I started losing at 212 and now I weigh 154. I've compared a 154 lb picture to a picture from before I gained the weight when I weighed 180 and I actually look skinnier in the 180 picture if you look at my face and mid-section. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I continue to try to lose weight or should I just give up because my body clearly only loses muscle?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You appear different to yourself than you do to other people. Your brain does that to you. You'll get used to seeing the new you over time.

It is possible you lost muscle as well. Just start lifting more and lift heavy.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I think that lots of people answered the question: you're not eating enough protein (and likely not strength training) that would support retention of lean body mass. As recommended, you need to be consuming enough protein. 40g is not enough protein.

So this is why you think you look bigger despite being lighter. This is why your body "only loses muscle."
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    fatasfack wrote: »
    Hi, I tried asking this question earlier, but nobody really answered the question I was asking so here it is again.So I've lost about 60 lbs so far, but based on my face and stomach, I literally look like I lost 15. I started losing at 212 and now I weigh 154. I've compared a 154 lb picture to a picture from before I gained the weight when I weighed 180 and I actually look skinnier in the 180 picture if you look at my face and mid-section. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I continue to try to lose weight or should I just give up because my body clearly only loses muscle?

When you start your weight loss?

• fatasfack
    fatasfack Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I think that lots of people answered the question: you're not eating enough protein (and likely not strength training) that would support retention of lean body mass. As recommended, you need to be consuming enough protein. 40g is not enough protein.

So this is why you think you look bigger despite being lighter. This is why your body "only loses muscle."

Thanks, I was really looking for someone else with a similar experience and how they would suggest I change things up.
  • fatasfack
    fatasfack Posts: 77 Member
    Options

About 7 months ago
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

About 7 months ago

Maybe it will just take time. I am on a high fat diet and my face and hands were the first place I noticed I was getting thinner but still the scales are not going down much 10 pounds in four months. I think cutting the carbs for people carb sensitive like me causes a large initial water loss so that may have caused my double chin to go fast. Losing the fat from around your organs is the most important. Know one dies from full face. If you lost muscle then you may be short on protein. I have added muscle and lost fat at the same time so my weight is not changing that much.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    No body only loses muscle.

What is your BMI?

Based on very little besides this post and your username, I wonder if you have body dysmorphia.

Though it is very likely you look very different from before you gained the weight because those things do happen. Bodies change. It might've changed even without the weight gain and loss.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    You question was answered, just about everyone that answered had the exact same opinion and suggestions.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    How are there two exact posts going?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Based on very little besides this post and your username, I wonder if you have body dysmorphia.

Yep. This.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

He's spamming his question in the same forum, despite his original thread still being active and on the first page of said forum, he needs more opinions...and more threads is what accomplishes that, apparently.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

He's spamming his question in the same forum, despite his original thread still being active and on the first page of said forum, he needs more opinions...and more threads is what accomplishes that, apparently.

Cuz we're going to give different answers now?