Weightloss and tyroid problems

Options
So I am sure there are others out there like me so I thought I would post and ask for help. In Jan I had my second child and since then I have been trying very hard to lose weight. I have ALOT to lose. I am finding it difficult for it to come off as I also have hypothyroidism. Does anyone have any suggestions to help speed up the weight loss????

Thanks
Sarah

Replies

• bmbellamy
    bmbellamy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to your replies. I'm hypothyroid too and having difficulty losing very quickly. It's coming off, but so slowly.... Have requested an Endocrinology consult from my Primary Care doc, so I'm hoping that will provide some better guidance rather than resolve myself to Levothyroxine and being fat for life.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Well, I am in my 50's and have been taking synthroid for many years to address hypothroidism and successfully lost 40+ pounds last year by eating healthy (fresh vegetables, fruits, lean meats and dairy) and working out 2x a week. Cut out processed food, white flour and white sugar to make the biggest difference in your weight loss efforts. I can only assume that you too are taking something for this and if it is at the right level, then losing weight shouldn't be affected in a negative way, and it could actually improve your efforts. I know that my doctor increased my dosage last May (and it just happened to be at a time I had plateaued) and I started losing again.
  • padigirl
    padigirl Posts: 32
    Options
    Back in March, 2011 I asked my Dr to check my thyroid. The results came back (as my Dr put it) "your thyroid is dead"! I suspected it because after more than 2 years of working out and eating well I continued to gain weight.

My Dr put me on Synthroid. She insisted that I would take no generic drug. I have lost 8 pounds in the past 7 weeks but am also training for a 1/2 marathon so maybe the increased miles are helping with the weight loss.

Be patient with your weight loss but DO NOT give up. Exercise and watch your diet. If your weight is coming off slow and your exercising and eating well your doing your body so much good.
  • lecia125
    lecia125 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I too have hypothroidism but it is not the end of the world. I have done a lot of research and from everything I have found out, you need to get your thyroid level around 2, not just "within normal limits". This provides your body a better advantage to function normally. Good Luck to all of you.
  • PersianFlower
    PersianFlower Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's disease (and thus hypothyroidism with bouts of hyperthyroidism). I use armour thyroid and it has made my life livable again unlike when I was on synthroid. Armour has allowed me to at least stop gaining weight but as it coming off I found I need to avoid certain food (seems like everything) and exercise to a good amount to see the scale move little by little.

My doctors great and encouraging, he told me to just keep trying and consider every little loss a hug victory when it comes to dealing w/ my thyroid. Not something I liked hearing considering I need to lose a lot!

I can't offer any advice for helping the weight come off faster but I can say I understand how you feel but don't give up or get discouraged :)
  • Barrettmomof3
    Barrettmomof3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. I am on medicine and am having my thyroid rechecked shortly. Thanks and I wont give up.
  • Tamara276
    Tamara276 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree it is difficult and slow with thyroid issues. My doctor recommended a book that has been quite helpful too. It is called Ultra-Metabolism by Mark Hyman, M.D. It outlines healthy eating and has a chapter on thyroid function. It is similar to what many of you have said staying away from processed foods especially flours, wheat, and inflammatory foods.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I also have Hashimotos and have for quite a while, now. I have lost 30 lbs (+) through diet modification (using MFP) and exercise. The most important thing--and most interesting thing--is that I lost this weight, and then learned through routine check ups that my TSH was elevated (3.1) and that my synthroid dose needed to be increased. BTW, my doc strongly believes that despite the lab "normal" range for TSH, that it should be 1.0.

SO, do not despair. You can lose weight and be hypothyroid--I have. It is work, though, regardless of the peculiarities of your metabolism. It takes commitment every time you even so much as think about putting something in your mouth.

Control your caloric intake, increase your activity level and the weigh will come off. MFP will help you see this and reach your goal.
  • bmbellamy
    Options
    I'm not meaning to put a negative spin on the positive comments/feedback, but I am on Levothyroxine (for about 3-4 years now), play racquetball 4-5 times a week (700+ calorie burn at a time) and monitor my caloric intake daily to maintain 1200 calories. Occasionally, I eat my exercise calories, occasionally I leave the deficit.

April has been a rough month with 3 different family members (including myself) having birthdays and dinners/birthday cake has been way too plentiful. While I've indulged in only a piece every now and then through the month, I know it has created a slight set-back.

But prior to April, my exercise was significant and caloric intake was monitored regularly. Typically, when I share my normal routine with others, they are dumbfounded that I'm not dropping weight more quickly.

My diary is open if anyone wishes to take a look, but again, you might want to click back into March which better represents my "normal" lifestyle. Any recommendations/thoughts would be appreciated as it IS very disheartening to work really hard for so little result.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    My Mother in Law had this problem. She kept a food diary that she took in to her doctor, along with showing how she was GAINING weight while eating less than 1000 cals a day. This was just the evidence she needed to get the doctor moving on this. He re-checked her levels and got it straightened out! He was not keeping her regulated properly, and changing the meds helped so much.
  • bmbellamy
    Options
    Thank you. That is exactly what I plan to do when I get my Endocrinologist referral. Appreciate your input. :) (There's STILL hope) :)